• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Car snow brush/ice scraper

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have a Snowjoe for pushing deep snow off the top and hood of my truck.

Lol...I got a Snojoe a couple years back for Xmas...and initially thought it was a gag “crap” gift....my first impression was totally wrong...that thing has been my “go to” for getting snow off my Tundra.....it works great.

Reactions: Ogg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pool brush works well too. I use one to clear the roof of the shed when it starts getting wet and heavy..

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I found a really solid telescopic snow brush/squeegee/ice scraper at Costco last year. The scraper part is good for thick freezing rain. It is solid enough to work as a snow brush when extended. I have a low roof (Mazda 3 Sport), but I still like the long extension; I can stand on one side and push the snow off the other side of the roof. If I can remember to do so I'll take a photo next time I'm near it. I couldn't find it on their web site.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Many years ago, a friend who is a car dealer in Maine gave me a Sno-Rake, made by Shuttsco. He uses them at his dealerships.

Similar to a SnoJoe. They come in a 12” or 18” wide blade, and with fixed length wooden or very sturdy adjustable aluminum handles. We keep a 12” one in each car, and a couple the bigger ones with 4’ handles at home, and at the ski house. Remove a lot of snow fast....no car damage.

My favorite windshield/window scraper is no longer made. Was made by OXO, the kitchen equipment company. I bought “a large supply” at close out. They work well. Keeping them “sharp” as you do with a ski wax scraper helps!

Those are our go-to’s. Of course the best alternative is the garage. My wife was NOT pleased when the space that was formerly the garage at our ski house was repurposed as our tuning room. HaHa!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snobrum to push snow off of the car.

A scraper/brush is for glass only.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think the Snobrum is the original and the Snowjoe is a knockoff. I first learned about these working at a big car dealership.
Snobrum doesn't have a ice scrape on the handle.

A regular ice scraper/brush is one of these variants, which I wouldn't use the brush on the paint, just on the glass
s122829022169128178_p528_i2_w450.jpeg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Costco or Canadiantire for a telescopic brush that rotates and has a silcone blade instead of rubber (the Costco one is longer). I clean an F150.

As to how not to break the blade or handle.....in the “T” configuration hack into the snow (hard snow silcone down, soft brush down) and pull towards you or push away from you. Side to side breaks the pivot or shaft.

As the saying goes......if it breaks how you are doing it, don’t do that.:doh::ogbiggrin:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
if you have Ran Sensing Wipers, be careful that you can use Rain-X products! Most can't

Use rain-x in the washer fluid. It makes it much easier to scrape as water doesn’t sheet as much but you get little beads many times.

On the other side, as a control, could try Jet-x rinse aid for dishwashers with regular washer fluid. That’s a sheeting agent. Hmmm. Chemists?
View attachment 114923
www.rainx.com/product/windshield-washer-fluid/rain-x-de-icer-windshield-washer-fluid/#.X7GnGOQ8KEc

James

Out There
Instructor
if you have Ran Sensing Wipers, be careful that you can use Rain-X products! Most can't
What happens, they don’t come on?
( or like my friend believes, with every car problem it’s about to blow up?)

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
If I'm at the house and if I remember to do it. I have a small tarp with little sandbags attached on the corners that I throw over the top of the car prior to the snow coming down. It works great. Of course it only works if you actually use it. Most of the time I wake up in the morning and go "oh crap...I forgot again".

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
I’ve had good luck with a 3 fold snow/frost defence/removal technique:

1) Frost cover (from Costco) over winshield the night before.
2) Use backpack leaf blower to blast snow off truck.
3) Scrape side winshields (or front winshield if step 1 missed...) with telescoping snowbrush/scraper (from Costco)

FYI: My Husky 580 backpack leaf blower gets as almost as much use in winter as it does in summer. Mind you its a high cfm unit - almost 1000 cfm. (Ie: it’ll push you off the stairs if there’s backpressure -and you aren’t paying attention...).

Its been the best thing for quickly blowing off the cars/decks after a snowfall - with superior results comparative to the push/pull/wipe action of a standard snowbrush. Mind you it’s most effective with dry snow - although even if the snow’s wet (and not frozen in place) it’ll still blast off a few inches compared to over a foot with dry stuff).

With arthritis though a smaller backpack unit or handheld blower may work better dependent on the power vs weight needed. I’ve used our Dewalt 20V rechargable handheld blower for dry snow in lesser accumulations with good results. Again it depends on the dryness of the snow or if it has frozen in place.

Reactions: Ron

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
rain-x works by coating the glass, that can interfere with the sensor in the windshield.
I think the complaints on rainx are less about sensor, and more that it tends to be streaky if you don't have very clean glass or are not carful in your application technique. Then, as it wears out unevenly it may also cause wipers to skip and chatter or perform poorly, or be uneven during rain. Additionally it doesn't prevent freeze, if the droplets freeze and you still have to scrape, and the scraping will tend to pull the rainx coating off so after a couple scrapings it's pretty much gone.
If you are bought into the Rainx on windshield team, I would instead recommend Aquapel. It is much less streak prone application process and should be more durable coating than rainx, but more expensive. Again though you need to superclean your glass before application, which is the more fussy part.

For paint, a ceramic based paint protection would be the top tier option than actually hand-applying rainx on paint. For the common purpose, car wax (polymer) or even a spray wax that will work better as a hydrophobic sacrificial layer than rainx too.

If you're super lazy, and want to just dip your toe into the water, you can just go through a drive-through car wash (laserwash for the touchless people) that has a "rain-x" rinse as the final step as a wash option, and that will provide hydrophobic coating to your car for a little bit.