• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure what you mean by "does ot workk in 85%", Carve seemed to work good everywhere I went in Taos. On my trip it was icy with no recent snow so off piste was poor conditions except for the very top which was fun. If I had skiied more off piste I don't forsee any issues using Carve as I think it still gives some useful feedback (even if less helpful than on piste) but I'll have to test that more.

I never said I was restricted to groomers, or that I need more time skiing off piste. I think previously I could do 100 runs off piste and there just wasnt much improvement happening from run #1 to #100. Sure expert lessons would probably have been best but with my very unpredictible skiing schedules and budget limits that hasn't always been possible. I think Carve helped in those 4 days more than any period in decades. I'm not expecting it to be a complete solution to all my skiing progressions and yes will need to continue to explore all types of terrains/conditions.

CArv only provide meaningful data on your skiing while you are "carving" on the groomer. The data it provides when you are off piste is meaningless. It's not designed to evaluate your skiing off piste.

I ski Taos literally everyday from mid-January till the end of the season. I am very familiar with the terrain there. I would say more that 85% of the terrain is off piste. We seldom skied groomers other than a warm up run or moving to a specific area/lift.

Well, about the poor condition off piste, That is when your skiing can take a quantum leap.
To paraphrase Bob Barnes, "There is good snow and thee is good for you snow. Ski the good for you snow often enough, it all become good snow."

breakaway01

Booting up
Skier
Have been skiing with CARV for about 10 days so far this season.
My own opinions and experiences:

Setup
- the insole sensor does take up a noticeable amount of room in my boot. I can still ski fairly comfortably but there is more pressure over the top of my foot than I'd like. I will be getting my bootboard ground down when I return home from this ski trip
- I'd highly recommend using in-helmet headphones to get turn-by-turn feedback (more on this later). I don't think it'd be useful to me if I was only reviewing scores at the end of the run or at the end of the day.

Skiing
- I ski ungroomed terrain and bumps fairly often so the SkiIQ score doesn't mean much to me from segment to segment or from run to run, and I don't really think about it too much. That being said, overall trends for the whole day have been useful.
- There has What I find much more useful, even in ungroomed terrain or bumps, are some of the turn-by-turn metrics that you can ask CARV to provide. Today I was using the Early Edging metric a lot, which apparently looks at "how much you tilt your inside ski edge in the first part of the turn". IMO this is a relevant metric in any terrain or snow condition. I do think that focusing on this today has helped me in the bumps, for example.
- Another aspect of CARV that I don't think has been emphasized much here is that it has helped me identify significant asymmetry in my skiing. On groomed runs I learned that I was using less outside ski pressure in one direction compared to the other, for example.

Sponsor

Staff online