• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Apparently there is now a 40% discount automatically applied at checkout for Black Friday. Guess I should have waited two more days to order mine.

Edited to say i just received a refund from Carv for sale savings.:golfclap:

Last edited:

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Tempted by the hardware, but the subscription is a bit pricy when you consider the hardware seems to be useless without it. It would be nice if they had some hardware only features or usefulness.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Tempted by the hardware, but the subscription is a bit pricy when you consider the hardware seems to be useless without it. It would be nice if they had some hardware only features or usefulness.
I figured you have 100 days to return it if not satisfied. If it improves my skiing it should easily be worth the $150/year. If not, it goes back.

And, since I haven't had an actual lesson in over 40 years, think of how much $$$ I've saved already.

Last edited:

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
So the 40% discount is on the hardware price only and you still need to pay full boat for the subs? What are the US$ prices on those and the kit? Site only showing me GBP at the moment.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
So the 40% discount is on the hardware price only and you still need to pay full boat for the subs? What are the US$ prices on those and the kit? Site only showing me GBP at the moment.
Yep. 6 day- $99. One year- $199. Two years- $300. Device price is tempting, but really should come with the 1st year of sub for free or a much reduced price.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep. 6 day- $99. One year- $199. Two years- $300. Device price is tempting, but really should come with the 1st year of sub for free or a much reduced price.

Presumably they'll have more funds to invest in app development. The annual fee is not a lot of money compared to hiring an instructor/coach to monitor our skiing whenever we are on the slopes.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
40% off black friday sale. I just might grab a pair...have always been curious

Did just that last week.

The podcast piqued interest as it's clear there is ongoing development work on the app that seems to address some of the previous comments. Such as not factoring in terrain.

stevo

Getting on the lift
Skier
for those of you that have it..riddle me this. I've been curious about it for a while...but is there a way to go back at the end of the day and review every single turn, or can you only look at run-long overall averages like it shows on the website for the app with some kind of subjective opinion by the app as to what is good or bad? I might be interested if there is a way for me to review the deep data...not nearly as interested to see some kind of overall score. The turn to turn prompting while skiing in my ear might be ok for a little while but would get old fast and probably I couldn't justify the subscription for that...

but anyway, just wondering how deeply we can access the acquired data.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
for those of you that have it..riddle me this. I've been curious about it for a while...but is there a way to go back at the end of the day and review every single turn, or can you only look at run-long overall averages like it shows on the website for the app with some kind of subjective opinion by the app as to what is good or bad? I might be interested if there is a way for me to review the deep data...not nearly as interested to see some kind of overall score. The turn to turn prompting while skiing in my ear might be ok for a little while but would get old fast and probably I couldn't justify the subscription for that...

but anyway, just wondering how deeply we can access the acquired data.
You an look at every single run, and even segments of a run that it now automatically splits a run into every time you stop and take a rest.

stevo

Getting on the lift
Skier
alright, but still its giving an aggregrate of at least several turns into some averaged values yea? there is no way for me to actually TRACE through some turns to actually watch my pressure changes as I progress through turns?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
alright, but still its giving an aggregrate of at least several turns into some averaged values yea? there is no way for me to actually TRACE through some turns to actually watch my pressure changes as I progress through turns?
For a given segment, if you are running in Free Ski Mode, in adition to the Ski:IQ + Balance/Edging/Rotary/Pressure + next click in for each of the 4 metrics, it will also give you -- total time, start time, end time, distance, max speed, average speed, number of turns, max altitude, min altitude, descent, max edge angle.

If you want turn by turn details, you can put it in Monitor Mode and you will have a single metric plotted for every turn you made. Monitor modes are available for - Turn Ski:IQ, fore/aft ratio, edge angle, edge similarity, outside ski pressure, early edging. Also, when in Monitor mode, you can hear the metric called out real-time in your headphones.

stevo

Getting on the lift
Skier
can you show us a screen shot of the monitor mode with a single metric plotted? can we only track one metric at a time, or can we track multiple metrics and just view one at a time later?

stevo

Getting on the lift
Skier
yea so anyway I don't really want summary statistics as much. I would prefer to be able to inspect each and every turn after the fact (not listening while I go) and looking at the init, the apex, the completion and various phases of each and every turn to see what a certain metric does over time during all of those turns...if possible more than one metric at a time come back after the fact at home and inspect them. I don't really get the felling that is possible from what you guys are saying?

Sounds like it could still be cool some times to have the audio telling you what you are doing while you're skiing, but one thing I notice about that for example, is that the numbers they have are kind of subjective. For example, parallel skis. you are apparently closer or further away from it by some number 1-100... ok... but what if I have some diverging tips during init..which is not necessarily a bad thing depending on when and how...I might get a lower subjective score in that case without further detail of what exactly the skis were doing. Makes the number kind of useless.

If it can measure all that to begin with, I wish it would store all that and let me go back to a computer and actually move a slider through the phases of the turn to see what it has detected with my skis....rather then some kind of subjective aggregrate of the whole turn or even worse for a whole run. My turns are solid enough, that the large run-long numbers if and when I'm focusing on it, would be pretty high and aside from some small refinement which would be useful yes, but I would need to see much more detail in order to determine exactly what that refinement would need to be.

That's my impression without buying it and trying it...

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
yea so anyway I don't really want summary statistics as much. I would prefer to be able to inspect each and every turn after the fact (not listening while I go) and looking at the init, the apex, the completion and various phases of each and every turn to see what a certain metric does over time during all of those turns...if possible more than one metric at a time come back after the fact at home and inspect them. I don't really get the felling that is possible from what you guys are saying?

Sounds like it could still be cool some times to have the audio telling you what you are doing while you're skiing, but one thing I notice about that for example, is that the numbers they have are kind of subjective. For example, parallel skis. you are apparently closer or further away from it by some number 1-100... ok... but what if I have some diverging tips during init..which is not necessarily a bad thing depending on when and how...I might get a lower subjective score in that case without further detail of what exactly the skis were doing. Makes the number kind of useless.

If it can measure all that to begin with, I wish it would store all that and let me go back to a computer and actually move a slider through the phases of the turn to see what it has detected with my skis....rather then some kind of subjective aggregrate of the whole turn or even worse for a whole run. My turns are solid enough, that the large run-long numbers if and when I'm focusing on it, would be pretty high and aside from some small refinement which would be useful yes, but I would need to see much more detail in order to determine exactly what that refinement would need to be.

That's my impression without buying it and trying it...
You are looking for too much information and it won't help you diagnose what's going on in your turns. I seriously doubt you can remember exactly what was going on in a single turn 13 turns ago. Patterns are what reveals what is going on in your skiing. If you want to diagnose an individual turn, you need video. Carv has that along with the sensor data, but it won't use it's AI engine to diagnose and compare your sensor data to better skiers.

Sponsor

Staff online