• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Same here. My shin is in charge of the shovel pressure, not my forefoot.
I am having an issue with my CARV sensors. They rarely record a full day of skiing. Firmware updates seem to get distributed weekly. Today they stopped recording after lunch at Breckenridge, meaning that I looked at the runs during lunch and at the end of the day when it finished syncing there were no more runs. I think out of 13 or 14 days of use this season, I have one day where it recorded all day. My sensors are two seasons old, I wonder if they are defective?

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
I am having an issue with my CARV sensors. They rarely record a full day of skiing. Firmware updates seem to get distributed weekly. Today they stopped recording after lunch at Breckenridge, meaning that I looked at the runs during lunch and at the end of the day when it finished syncing there were no more runs. I think out of 13 or 14 days of use this season, I have one day where it recorded all day. My sensors are two seasons old, I wonder if they are defective?

I would suggest reaching out to Carv. In my experience they are very responsive and can also run some diagnostics on your sensors.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You may need to reboot them (no pun intended) Send a message to the CARV team via the support in the app. The are very responsive, and usually get back to you in 30 minutes or less. They can walk you through every step. They also know what is happening with your units. They can see what you have been recording, and if you have a software or hardware issue.
I have had excellent service from them. In my case, a lot of times it is just the boneheaded operator, but there was software glitch a couple of times

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You may need to reboot them (no pun intended) Send a message to the CARV team via the support in the app. The are very responsive, and usually get back to you in 30 minutes or less. They can walk you through every step. They also know what is happening with your units. They can see what you have been recording, and if you have a software or hardware issue.
I have had excellent service from them. In my case, a lot of times it is just the boneheaded operator, but there was software glitch a couple of times
I did send a message today after they only recorded 6 runs out of 24!. You are right they got back to me in 30 minutes with a whole procedure that I will have to print out so that I can also write down the sequence of flashing lights that I see when rebootting, repairing, re-everything plus a 30 second run (don’t actually need to be skiing).

VS_Power

Booting up
Skier
I did send a message today after they only recorded 6 runs out of 24!. You are right they got back to me in 30 minutes with a whole procedure that I will have to print out so that I can also write down the sequence of flashing lights that I see when rebootting, repairing, re-everything plus a 30 second run (don’t actually need to be skiing).

I had a similar issue (Carv kept on disconnecting and missing runs). I did the same procedure and they ended up sending me a new pair of footbeds and tape immediately. It took about 3 days to arrive to the US from the UK. They are not asking me to send back my original footbeds.

It's funny because I thought the issue was the actual computer units but the procedure says otherwise. Haven't skied in them since but I guess we'll find out!

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any long-term Carv reviews?
I got about 2 seasons on mine - they are constantly improving the algorithms. They replaced by might foot bed at the end of the season after I was only getting 6 runs recorded out of about 20 per day. This year they seem focused on being able to provide more skills based training based on your skier IQ. I do get valuable feedback and it is consistent with my “known” deficiencies. Right now my skier IQ is 129 which is “Carv connoisseur” level 5 out of 7 possible levels. Mountain Master begins at 140 and Grim Ripper is 150+. From what I can tell, PSIA examiners or equivalent would be in the >150 range.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Since this thread has been revived... continuing where I left off...

I have had more discussion about this device with some other skiing folk and the consensus is that CARV needs to add sensors at the top of the cuff in order to correlate the bottom of foot pressure to the cuff pressure to have enough data to assess whether the skiing movements are correct. As things currently stand with only underfoot sensors, CARV cannot actually determine if you're doing what you should be doing in a ski turn.

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Skied with Carv today for the first time. Awesome technology. Gives me some thing to work on and keeps me motivated. Great addition to in person lessons, youtube tutorials and other resources- including skitalk.

The boot feels more snug which is expected. I did not like installation. The cable is taped to the plastic of the boot and the liners are catching the tape and it all gets bunched up. Need to improve the taping. I remove liners after skiing to dry them up and re-taping every time will get old quick. It might have been discussed up thread already.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys, anyone had issue sticking the insert to the foot board? For some reason, the red sticker just cannot stick to the foot board of my boots (Tecnica Mach 1). I think it has something to do with the materials of that white plastic foot board. I’m thinking to buy some other double sided tapes to try, but thought I’d check. Thanks!

E15682A4-E37B-40D2-B8A9-7A60D2B69B09.jpeg

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Hey guys, anyone had issue sticking the insert to the foot board? For some reason, the red sticker just cannot stick to the foot board of my boots (Tecnica Mach 1). I think it has something to do with the materials of that white plastic foot board. I’m thinking to buy some other double sided tapes to try, but thought I’d check. Thanks!

View attachment 154179
I had the same problem with the same boot. Double sided tape fixed it. Three pieces, one each under heel, arch, and toe. And i used regular duct tape to secure the cable on the side.

jessnie

Booting up
Skier
I had the same problem with the same boot. Double sided tape fixed it. Three pieces, one each under heel, arch, and toe. And i used regular duct tape to secure the cable on the side.
Thanks my friend! Do you happen to recall what type of/brand your double sided tape is?

northwskier

Falling off the lift
Skier
Last season I started reading about Carv and wanted to buy in. With the new subscription plans though I'm not so sure.

Minimum $100-150/year in order to maintain a subscription and be able to use it?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On my second season using CARV. Still pretty happy with the feedback and measurements. I feel it is helping me.

I agree with the subscription being a negative. Happy they have early adopters a free lifetime sub... Will have to see how they handle replacements when it eventually stops working. Hopefully, will not be happening soon.

Review today in Wired:

This is interesting:
"It’s worth noting that the technology won’t teach a total novice to ski, and it works best if you can already make basic parallel turns. The app is currently optimized for the most popular blue and red groomed trails, rather than black-rated and powder, although Carv is hoping to introduce an off-piste mode for the 2022-2023 season."

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, as a pay-for-fun entertainment whilst stuck on groomers, worth it?

"Carv pushed WIRED users to ski harder, faster, and longer than we typically would. Instead of dawdling down the piste, enjoying the view and thinking about the next refreshment pit stop, we were focused on how we were skiing, and crucially, how we could improve. What’s more, we skied the same trail countless times without getting bored because the focus was on training and boosting our score. This is perhaps one of the biggest boons for Carv outside of sharpening technique: the fact that it makes solo skiing genuinely entertaining."

This part in the review highlights that. May not be for everyone. But does work that way for me.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On my second season using CARV. Still pretty happy with the feedback and measurements. I feel it is helping me.

I agree with the subscription being a negative. Happy they have early adopters a free lifetime sub... Will have to see how they handle replacements when it eventually stops working. Hopefully, will not be happening soon.

Review today in Wired:

This is interesting:
"It’s worth noting that the technology won’t teach a total novice to ski, and it works best if you can already make basic parallel turns. The app is currently optimized for the most popular blue and red groomed trails, rather than black-rated and powder, although Carv is hoping to introduce an off-piste mode for the 2022-2023 season."
I have a love hate relationship with my Carv units. Note I qualified as a founding member so I don’t pay the annual subscription fee. They now have replaced both of my “original” kickstarter foot beds as they did fail (out of warranty). The right failed last winter and the left failed this winter. I am biased towards off piste, trees, and bumps - and spend little time on groomers for which the CARV algorithms are biased towards. Most my highest scores are on Killington groomed runs and some of my lowest scores are on Breckenridge groomed runs. I don’t have a desire at age 67 to lay my hip on the ground and achieve the highest possible edge angle, but I do want my high alpine bowl skiing to be every bit as good as my trees and mogul skiing so I keep on using it and taking its advice in context with the tips that I get when I ski with instructors. Definitely interested in seeing how I “score” in the off piste mode if they make that feature available.

Sponsor

Staff online