• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Per their website, the first production run arrives in October. You go on a waitlist but if you’re in the first 1,000 you can buy from that run and have it delivered in Oct/Nov. There are still a few hundred spots on the waitlist remaining where you’d get it then.

Only a matter of time before marketing people figured out how to leverage supply chain issues.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just discovered you get a free pair of Carv goggles with an early order. $179 retail value baby. More importantly they’re my favorite color.

Even if all it does is report on my pressure distribution through the arc for both skis I’ll probably be satisfied.

And I’m getting older. I’ll probably be repeating myself more and more.

Last edited:

GA49

Getting on the lift
Skier
I caved and bought a setup during the holiday sale. My justification was that it would help me get more value from lessons by gamifying practice. So far it has been totally worth it. Even when I'm not doing drills I find myself thinking about my form more often. As someone who switched from snowboarding a few years ago, I know I have work to do to improve my technique and this system helps me focus on that even when freeskiing. I have accumulated enough drills from lessons and other sources that I don't feel the need to rely on the suggestions from Carv so that helps too. And I have confidence from seeing the scores of instructors that the measurements do correlate with improvement.

If you already ski with a group of people better than you, you might not get as much out of it. Unfortunately, I'm in the position of helping other friends get better at skiing. Carv makes it a little easier for me to work on my own skiing when I don't have someone else giving me feedback.

I'm looking forward to see how much they add to the flatland training section of the app as well.

And I wonder if the data could also be useful to master boot fitters diagnosing issues with setup. I know it helped Jens from Stomp-It Tutorials find an issue with his boots because his pressure numbers were way off from expected.

I have had a similar experience with Carv. I am a data acquisition and numbers person also, and I often am very focused on improving because it is fun to do so. There is "fun skiing" and then there is "having fun getting better at skiing". I think they are different some of the time.

As an intermediate who's just learning a lot of fundamentals this has been a good use of money and time for me. I started skiing in the 80's by friends telling my to point my ski's forward and not die--that is the actual advice I got in 20 seconds, and until 1999 (10 years later), I got a ski lesson, and the guy showed me how to parallel ski. And then I stopped skiing for 20 years :ogbiggrin: so yeah, there was and is some strange muscle memory built into my brain when it comes to skiing.

With this app, when I am skiing alone (which is most of the time), I don't feel isolated and "in the blind" so to speak as it relates to my skiing (it's a virtual coach, but there's an odd sense of having a coach with you I have to admit).

Now do I need this, of course not but it helps enormously, or it seems to be the case thus far.

Probably the main areas it's helped me with so far is turn coordination and timing (beginning the turn at the right time--toppling I guess?). I've done this about 20 times and I would say out of 15 of those, I knew before I came to a stop that my IQ had gone up or down based on how well I was turning and handling the edge angle--you can feel it basically...BUT, it's not because I was just trying to ski better in a general way, it's because the app has provided valuable feedback post-run. It might be less valuable to advanced skiers, but it's helpful for someone like me.

I'll look up the results on the lift post-run and focus on whatever it is I was doing wrong. When I do down the next run and pay attention to one of the weak areas (there are many), I get to the bottom and I know I did better. The run "felt" better and technically more correct, which is a great feeling. And then the IQ score I see has gone up.

IMHO, this product can be invaluable for someone like me and others with these little notes:
  • The 'self-aware' beginner-to-intermediate skier who is trying to correct previously learned bad-habits after lessons with real people OR who is learning from the ground up, after lessons with real people, to keep focus on proper control fundamentals
  • Doesn't mind a bit of "IT troubleshooting" as these things can act wonky sometimes--so you need the stomach to troubleshoot them while your on the mountain
  • Can follow through on quantitative feedback and analyze while skiing and alone, as it doesn't translate well to have someone else look at the data--so self starter mentality is key with this thing.
  • Has that 'OCD' mentality, in a good way (sometimes at least, other times it's a nightmare)

We'll see how the 22-23 season goes as I still have until March before I have to renew, so I will have had a full season with them.

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
They’re offering a 15% off sale on Carv units thru Sunday using code TRANSFORMYOURTURNS

Anyone know if that’s one of their better deals?

I thought they had a really good Black Friday deal last year.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the code and goggles, I finally broke down and bought this.

My biggest concern has been getting into and out of the boots without damaging the unit given that I use Zipfits and get into and out of my boots racer style. Does anyone have experience with getting into and out of their boots that way with a Carv unit? Any issues?

They seem like they have a pretty good return policy, so probably at least worth a try.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With the code and goggles, I finally broke down and bought this.

My biggest concern has been getting into and out of the boots without damaging the unit given that I use Zipfits and get into and out of my boots racer style. Does anyone have experience with getting into and out of their boots that way with a Carv unit? Any issues?

They seem like they have a pretty good return policy, so probably at least worth a try.
I’ve had Carv’s for a few years but unfortunately not Zipfit. I do have Zipfits on order and will be using them in this season. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue having pulled my boot liners out regularly. The wires for them are flat and relatively thin and rugged. Haven’t noticed and wear on the wires or connections. I do use gorilla tape on the inside of the boots to keep the wires in place.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
01314BC7-7083-48D1-A297-A4012AD82DE9.jpeg

Stay tuned, getting ready to launch a new project for 22/23 based upon Carv & improving the gestalt ski experience.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
My coach and good friend Thomas Roennau is starting ski camps focusing on using Carv (and coaching, of course) to improve ski performance. He has a great team of coaches lined up -- all of them demo team members from various countries except for one, who is a fabulous coach in her own right. Here's an announcement you can find. I've had the pleasure to ski with or watch all of these coaches and they are amongst the best in the world...

All of these individuals have amongst the top Ski:IQ scores in the world, including Ted...

https://www.carvperformanceinstitute.com

VS_Power

Booting up
Skier
Here's a $50 off referral code for Carv if anyone is interested:

I use Carv with Zipfits and Lange RS130s (all professionally fit by boot fitting specific shops) and have no issues at all. Getting boots on is extremely hard on cold mornings of course but there is no damage or issues a year later.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a $50 off referral code for Carv if anyone is interested:

I use Carv with Zipfits and Lange RS130s (all professionally fit by boot fitting specific shops) and have no issues at all. Getting boots on is extremely hard on cold mornings of course but there is no damage or issues a year later.

Thanks. Do you get into the boots racer style? How did you secure the Carv soles / wires to make sure they don’t get damaged when you’re getting in and out if the boots?

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The "Train with an Olympian" mode is going to be available late-November. Focus on 4 skills in sequence (edge similarity, outside pressure, early edging, edge angle), rise up through 40 levels-

VS_Power

Booting up
Skier
Thanks. Do you get into the boots racer style? How did you secure the Carv soles / wires to make sure they don’t get damaged when you’re getting in and out if the boots?

The Carv packaging comes with tape to secure the unit down. It comes with some smaller ones for the heel of the unit and longer ones to secure the wires. You can find more info in the installation video below. My units haven't moved post installation so the tape works well. https://help.getcarv.com/en/articles/4449339-how-do-i-set-up-my-carv-unit

Not sure what racer style boot entry is to be honest

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Carv packaging comes with tape to secure the unit down. It comes with some smaller ones for the heel of the unit and longer ones to secure the wires. You can find more info in the installation video below. My units haven't moved post installation so the tape works well. https://help.getcarv.com/en/articles/4449339-how-do-i-set-up-my-carv-unit

Not sure what racer style boot entry is to be honest
Thanks.

Racer style = putting the liner on to your foot and lacing it up and then putting your foot and liner into the boot shell.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll have the same set-up along with bootheaters. I communicated with Carv and they assured me they all work fine together despite all the boot “traffic”. We'll see.

Meanwhile I’m waiting to receive the unit. I’m in the first tranche to be sent out November 15.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll have the same set-up along with bootheaters. I communicated with Carv and they assured me they all work fine together despite all the boot “traffic”. We'll see.

Meanwhile I’m waiting to receive the unit. I’m in the first tranche to be sent out November 15.
Mine said November 15 also, but I got a shipping notice yesterday. Their website now says they have units in stock.

Sponsor

Staff online