• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat in a box

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Patch

Jackson or Pollack

Tell us about how you acquired her. That is usually where my pet names come from. Or my children blurt something out spontaneously that is somehow perfect.
Our friends own a big pet care business and their family hobby is to temporarily care for abandoned animals. My daughter was out with their daughter last week getting stray kittens that a cat hoarder lets roam around the neighborhood. They have had pigs and all kinds of animals. Best of all they usually come with all their shots.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My friends are naming their dogs after ski hills.....One is Pico. My only questions was....Killington is hard to call out for a border collie?
Then a calico should be named after a midwestern ski hill. Patches of snow. Patches of brown snow. Patches of mud.

The bizarrely named "Perfect North" in extreme Southern Indiana would be the perfect corollary, except that would make a stupid name for a cat.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Our friends own a big pet care business and their family hobby is to temporarily care for abandoned animals. My daughter was out with their daughter last week getting stray kittens that a cat hoarder lets roam around the neighborhood. They have had pigs and all kinds of animals. Best of all they usually come with all their shots.
Roma (like roaming)
Maggie (The Simpsons--a leap from crazy cat lady to a good name)
Free (as in freeloader)
McDonald (probably not, but I am hearing Old McDonald playing after your explanation)
Sid (ok, not a female name, but makes me think of Six Dinner Sid)

Another place for inspiration: Why did your daughter/you choose THIS kitten, instead of the others. I helped my mom foster some abandoned kittens and one was a totally badass. At about 2 lbs he ran off my parents 35lb cocker spaniel when she got too close to his brothers and sisters. Sindbad was mine from that moment on.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Our late cat was 'Houdi'. short for Houdini. The boy could get himself into or out of almost anything. (regrettably he was hit by a car, the SOB swerved to hit him) He was a really good cat.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
My cats have been named Lilo (for a singer my parents knew of), Lucy (who had to be renamed Louie), Lorelei (my daughter gave her the prettiest name she could think of), Katrina (she was a storm of a kitten, always climbing up the curtains or zooming around madly), and Twinkie. Twinkie just seemed to suit.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Years ago, I provided food and water for a stray cat. Sadly, I had a feeling the owners turned it out to fend for itself when they went on vacation. My neighbor hated cats. Her name was Chiquita. So, in fun, I started calling the cat "Chiqlet".

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We had a Kali (after the Hindu goddess) and a Saavik (Star Trek). Currently have Rascal, although she came pre-named.

One of my my sister's calicos is Paisley. The other calico is Mara (because she kind of has a pirate patch eye and Mara in Gaelic is the sea, and she got her the weekend of Irish Festival). Her boy is Neko.

Other cats in our family have been Samantha (Sam), Mouse, Paka Tatu (Cat Three, in Swahili), and Boz.

Also Shmoo and Wok. And Kitty Buddy.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What are some cool cat names?

She is a white, tan, and brown calico, but a patchy calico not striped

I came up with Cali but that could be too trendy since its one of the top cool cat names search results.
Rags

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I usually don't give any cat a permanent name until I get to know them a bit.
Do you have any pictures? I usually don't name my cats until I get to know them a bit. Some take longer than others.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I usually don't give any cat a permanent name until I get to know them a bit.

Do you have any pictures? I usually don't name my cats until I get to know them a bit. Some take longer than others.
We do the same. Took us so long with Saavik that we noticed she was coming when we talked about the little kitty, so we were forced to decide or forever have Kali and her sister The Little Kitty.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Pestilence took no time at all.
IMG_20211031_152647.jpg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
We do the same. Took us so long with Saavik that we noticed she was coming when we talked about the little kitty, so we were forced to decide or forever have Kali and her sister The Little Kitty.
We have one that came to us with the name Elvis that just didn't fit. We started calling him the little Dude and The Dude kind of stuck because he's mellow and a kind of a stoner(most kitties are IME but he particularly likes it). We usually call him Doodle(Dude-L?).

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We have one that came to us with the name Elvis that just didn't fit. We started calling him the little Dude and The Dude kind of stuck because he's mellow and a kind of a stoner(most kitties are IME but he particularly likes it). We usually call him Doodle(Dude-L?).
I like it!

In hindsight, we should have just changed Rascal's name - she didn’t really know it was her name, anyway, as my uncle rarely spoke. We could have called her anything at that point. Now she'll turn an ear toward you if you say her name, but that's about it. She's more verbal herself now, though, since we’re always talking to her.

Sponsor

Staff online