• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat in a box

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
1692295432934.jpeg

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good news! Our cat recovered from acute pancreatitis in mid-June that we noticed when he stopped eating. After five days in kitty intensive care and feeding him through a tube for six weeks, he's recovered and is getting his tube out as I type!

Hanging out with me on our deck:

PXL_20230730_154436643.jpg

In his carrier for yet another trip to the vet:

PXL_20230728_175727291.jpg

They've been hearing a slight heart murmur, so he's getting an echocardiogram today as well because why not? Given the vet bills, I think I'll start calling him S-Works. :ogbiggrin:

Last edited:

SuzSkis

Putting on skis
Skier
Oh, good luck @tball ! We got pet insurance with the latest round of cats. Thank gawd. One with juvenile HCM and another on his 4th mast cell tumor. We thought we'd at least get through five years w/o having to medicate every day. No such luck. This makes 25 years in a row that I've been medicating at least one cat twice a day. Luckily, they are all sweethearts.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
To give you guys a counterpoint to all this vet stuff. We had our dog with us on our recent trip. In Bruges, Belgium she develops an eye infection. Call a nearby vet blindly. Sure, bring her in in about 45 minutes. 68 euros and 15 min later we are leaving with an eye exam (to confirm no injury) and medication. F'ing awesome.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
To give you guys a counterpoint to all this vet stuff. We had our dog with us on our recent trip. In Bruges, Belgium she develops an eye infection. Call a nearby vet blindly. Sure, bring her in in about 45 minutes. 68 euros and 15 min later we are leaving with an eye exam (to confirm no injury) and medication. F'ing awesome.
That's less than a nail clipping visit in California :roflmao:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
True that!

Our friends who were with us, who live in Hamburg pointed out that it seems expensive to them, because if it had been their son instead of our dog it would have cost nothing.
We’re fortunate. We have a vet who is pretty reasonable. Office visits are about $80 and even an “emergency “ visit is only $25 more. Medications are usually about $20. We also have good pet insurance which covers 90%(after deductible per condition) of any treatment but not office visits. Several times the office visit charge was waived when we were doing other tests or treatments. In the past couple of years we have definitely gotten our money’s worth from the insurance.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
We’re fortunate. We have a vet who is pretty reasonable. Office visits are about $80 and even an “emergency “ visit is only $25 more. Medications are usually about $20. We also have good pet insurance which covers 90%(after deductible per condition) of any treatment but not office visits. Several times the office visit charge was waived when we were doing other tests or treatments. In the past couple of years we have definitely gotten our money’s worth from the insurance.
That is good. The big problem around here is if you call your vet, who you have a long running relationship with, it will take 3-6 weeks to even get an appointment. So you end up having to go to an emergency clinic for all but routine care. And emergency clinics are expensive. We had a similar "minor issue, but needs to be addressed right now" last year here at home and it was $350. And took a 3-4 hour "wait here until we can see you".

• Wow
Reactions: Ogg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That is good. The big problem around here is if you call your vet, who you have a long running relationship with, it will take 3-6 weeks to even get an appointment. So you end up having to go to an emergency clinic for all but routine care. And emergency clinics are expensive. We had a similar "minor issue, but needs to be addressed right now" last year here at home and it was $350. And took a 3-4 hour "wait here until we can see you".

Yep...except the 'emergency' is at the same clinic, often the same docs, for us.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know I’m very lucky. Other than our normal vet there are several other good options in our immediate area if for some reason our vet couldn’t see us but I’ve never had our vet turn us away in an emergency if they are actually at the clinic If nobody is there they refer you to the local 24hr emergency vet.

Sponsor

Staff online