• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat Tracks or Skootys?

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier

$30.00 + tax + shipping

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cat Track tip: with a hot nail poke holes in the tabs at the back, then lace through a short loop of cord. Use this to help pull the Cat Tracks on.

I like the looks of the Sidas ones.

My theory is that snow sticks worse to abraded ski boot soles. Always wearing a sole protector on pavement seems to result in much less snow sticking. Need a boot sole snow release agent? Spray the soles with Pam frying pan spray...organic, biodegradable, works better than silicone lube spray.

ForeverSki

Getting on the lift
Skier
I don’t know if the sidas would be too big, but I loop my cat tracks through the grab handles on the cuff and tuck them under the ski pants. I usually boot up at the car and don’t carry a pack.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Got a pair of Skootys for my sons boots, the smallest setting is too big for his 21.5 boots.

Does anyone know if the Cat Tack (size JR) will fit a 21.5 boot with a BSL of 258?

The Seirus web lists: Jr - Fits 4-7 (22-35)

I think the 35 is a typo, should be 25.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I just want to profess my deep appreciation for the quality and design of the Sidas traction product. I was a CatTracks user for many years. The Sidas product blows away those at every level. They are a much more burly build, much easier to get on and off, and walking in them in ski boots is almost too easy. I feel like I'm flying along across the ground because of how much grippier they are. They feel so solid on each strike that it inspires confidence to walk faster.

These things have been a godsend in this time of Covid and having to boot-up in the parking lot. I can't recommend them enough.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FYI,
the sidas ski traction device appear to be available via snowinn/trekinn AND in multiple colors. (spain based company iirc)

With exchange rate it actually comes out a little bit lower than US msrp preshipping.
I just ordered a pair, we will see if it actually makes it.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I just want to profess my deep appreciation for the quality and design of the Sidas traction product. I was a CatTracks user for many years. The Sidas product blows away those at every level. They are a much more burly build, much easier to get on and off, and walking in them in ski boots is almost too easy. I feel like I'm flying along across the ground because of how much grippier they are. They feel so solid on each strike that it inspires confidence to walk faster.

These things have been a godsend in this time of Covid and having to boot-up in the parking lot. I can't recommend them enough.

Will these fold to fit in a large pocket?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Will these fold to fit in a large pocket?

I wouldn't want to carry them. They are heavier material and I've noted how they have barely worn at all after multiple trips across parking lots. I lock mine to the ski rack at the base and that is working well for me.

I guess I didn't really answer your question. They fold into themselves in way that makes them half their length, but obviously thicker. They will fit in each of your jacket side pockets, but I have other stuff in there and I don't want to mess with these things in my jacket all day. :)

Jersey Skier

Skier
I wouldn't want to carry them. They are heavier material and I've noted how they have barely worn at all after multiple trips across parking lots. I lock mine to the ski rack at the base and that is working well for me.

I guess I didn't really answer your question. They fold into themselves in way that makes them half their length, but obviously thicker. They will fit in each of your jacket side pockets, but I have other stuff in there and I don't want to mess with these things in my jacket all day. :)
Since most areas around here use the ski key I stopped carrying a cable lock. I'll probably hold off ordering anything until I see how Hunter deals with all this. I might not go back a second time.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Since most areas around here use the ski key I stopped carrying a cable lock. I'll probably hold off ordering anything until I see how Hunter deals with all this. I might not go back a second time.

Small cable locks are cheap. There's always some place you can stick the cable through or wrap around.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Does anyone know what size Yaktrax SkiTrax for a 29.5 boot with a BSL of 339mm?

The sizing listed seems to based on street shoe size.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Does anyone know what size Yaktrax SkiTrax for a 29.5 boot with a BSL of 339mm?

The sizing listed seems to based on street shoe size.
almost found my answer however my size falls between sizes, so my question remains what size for a 29.5 boot with a BSL of 339mm.

sizechart.JPG

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
hahah, man you can't win. lol, I'd try the Medium first and gently stretch it rather than attempting to get the large to shrink.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
One thing nice about the Yaktrax is the material is softish and bouncy. With the well designed rocker the gait is really nice. I can easily run in a ski boot with it.

I've not seen the Sidas one in person, but it looks like a firmer material. The Sides also looks more durable.

I can't complain about the durability of my Yaktrax, but I 'm always expecting the strap between the heel and toe to eventually fail.

Anyone own both to compare the walk?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Buy now, thank me later.
Ordered. Received. Thank you.

Best version of them all. Dense material, strong construction at the intersections of parts, rockered, adjustable fit for numerous boot lengths using a Philips, and last but definitely not least the pull strap on the heel is hefty and easy to grab.
The version you're talking about is sold out now.
:geek:

Phil and I like to rout the boots and install grip walk soles, if you wear them out, replace them and move on. Its much nicer than keeping track of grippy accessories.

Jersey Skier

Skier
The version you're talking about is sold out now.
:geek:

Phil and I like to rout the boots and install grip walk soles, if you wear them out, replace them and move on. Its much nicer than keeping track of grippy accessories.

Wouldn’t that require new bindings for all my skis?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wouldn’t that require new bindings for all my skis?
Depends what bindings you have. Other option is replaceable soles that could be added to solid lug boots. There are options for people who don't want to deal with cumbersome external walking devices that are can be dirty and need addtional storage options when skiing.

Sponsor