• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cat Tracks or Skootys?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Due to COVID, its looking like most of us will be booting up in the parking lot.

I am thinking now is the time to get some type of boot sole protector.

So far I have seen two products Cat Tracks and Skootys.

Are there any others?

What do people like?

I'll need to get 3 sets (I have two kids).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yak Trax Ski Trax..

You can leave them hanging your cable lock on the railing at the base lodge. I've never needed to do anything else with mine and never ever had to put in my pocket.

Ugh, "this product is no longer available." Glad I have two sets of them..

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
I have a pair of ski Skootys. You can have them for the price of shipping and a donation to the site.
Thanks!
Sounds good, I'll send you a PM

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
also worth having a look at Sidas Ski boot traction, we stopped doing cat tracks as the price kept going up, the traction are a little more bulky but easier to put on and have a slight rocker on them

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd not seen Scootys. The thing I really like about the Trax other than them being more robust and durable than old cat tracks is the fact the SiTrax are roCKERed. I see the Scooty's are also rockered

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
also worth having a look at Sidas Ski boot traction, we stopped doing cat tracks as the price kept going up, the traction are a little more bulky but easier to put on and have a slight rocker on them

Just ordered these. Unfortunately the Yak Trax ones didn't fit my boots. That came as a surprise. I hope these fit.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I prefer Skootys and have been using the ones with the added ice traction for years now:

https://skiskootys.com/collections/frontpage/products/skiskooty-claws

Note that the "claws" version is a bit bulkier than the regular Skootys.

For me, the Skootys are much easier to get on/off than Yak/Cat Trax. Easy on/off is the number one priority for me with this kind of product. Before Skootys, I'd use Yak/Cat Trax & mod them by adding a short cord at the heel to make on/off easier. But it was still awkward. Not the case with Skootys at all for me.

I've never had a problem with the Skootys falling off during use or breaking. Can't say that about the Trax products.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have Scootys. Very easy to get on/off and once they're on walking is more secure and noticeably faster although their main purpose is of course to protect the boots. I only use them if I know I have a sizeable walk to/from the snow, which can easily happen if I'm skiing somewhere like Ruapehu where most of the car parks are a good distance from the snow.

They seem too big to carry around in my pockets, so I either carry them in a small backpack or stash them in a locker.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Buy now, thank me later.
Ordered. Received. Thank you.

Best version of them all. Dense material, strong construction at the intersections of parts, rockered, adjustable fit for numerous boot lengths using a Philips, and last but definitely not least the pull strap on the heel is hefty and easy to grab.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Ordered. Received. Thank you.

Best version of them all. Dense material, strong construction at the intersections of parts, rockered, adjustable fit for numerous boot lengths using a Philips, and last but definitely not least the pull strap on the heel is hefty and easy to grab.

Ditto. Picked up a pair last season and these seem to be bomb-proof. I was a CatTracks user for years and the Sidas blow them away in ease of use, durability, and walking comfort.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The issue with the Sidas things is you can't put them in a jacket pocket as you ski. They are BIG. So... better have a ski/snowboard lock that can secure these to a rack outside.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The issue with the Silas things is you can't put them in a jacket pocket as you ski. They are BIG. So... better have a ski/snowboard lock that can secure these to a rack outside.

Or you can hide them somewhere under the snow like I always do... ;)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The issue with the Sidas things is you can't put them in a jacket pocket as you ski. They are BIG. So... better have a ski/snowboard lock that can secure these to a rack outside.

Fold them like a flip phone , one half goes into the other. I carry mine in my jacket pockets at all times.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I tried to order a pair of the Sidas thingies, but in the checkout process got: "There are no carriers that deliver to the address you selected" How did you get past that, @LiquidFeet ?

Edit: Never mind. Quick Google for USA site worked. Duh...

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid