• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review Cat Tracks vs Yaktrax Ski

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
I usually boot up at the car and walk, so for years I used Cat Tracks to protect my ski boot soles. I've replaced them once or twice, because they have a tendency to fall off and to fail eventually at the obviously weak point.
This time I sent with Yaktrax product they call Ski. First, I like that it has its own tote bag, so they won't soil my pocket. Second, the design and construction is so much more durable, and finally, the feel: good, stable, grip. A generational improvement on a good idea, IMO.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Pros: comfortable rocker design and soft material cushions impact
Great to walk in
Cons: they do fall off as easily as cat tracks
They are heavy and bulky to store
They break! I have replaced at least 1/2 dozen that broke between heel and toe.

Still, I haven’t found a better alternative. Buy extras!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Great to walk in

The better alternative is the Sidas Ski Boot Traction.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great to walk in

I've been using the same pair of Yaktrax for a few years now with no problems. Originally they were a little tight, but loosened up enough to be easy to slip on and off. Once I got use to them, they stopped falling off when I'd clip the rear handles used to remove them. I'm big and bulky so these don't bother me too much. I store them in my cargo pockets on my ski pants so no issues with size or a little dirt. That said, I'm willing to give another product like the Sidas a look.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The better alternative is the Sidas Ski Boot Traction.

I bought a pair of the Sidas units this year and I completely agree with Noodler. You have to adjust them to your boot size and that makes them much easier to deal with, just the right amount of stretch, and very good heel and toe attachment. They are rockered, which makes it much easier to walk in ski boots. I would wear them just for this feature alone. I tried to buy more to give away as Xmas presents and found them to be sold out. If you find a good internet source, let me know.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone remember Walk-eze?
Very heavy duty. I never used them but ended up with a pair years ago.

B37A5FBD-D135-44AC-B774-F7B948D9395E.jpeg

They made $25 for the site. Wins all around.

Heavy duty walking soles for boots. Like putting a rockered tire under your boot. Very well made, these things are heavy. 2lbs the pair.
This company didn’t last long, maybe 1-2 seasons? Don’t remember. This pair was given out to instructors. Don’t think it was used besides maybe a carpet.

$10 pugski donation plus shipping.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
tried to buy more to give away as Xmas presents and found them to be sold out. If you find a good internet source, let me know.
I successfully purchased from snowinn and received in 2weeks. see other thread here

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
SkiTtrax here. More durable than Cat Tracks.. Rockred for easier walking. You can leave them at the base ski rack with your lock all day and just get your lock and put them on at the end of the day. I never carry them with me while skiing. Only time I ever had one fall off I had the right and left mixed up.. yep there is right and left for YakTrax SkiTrax.