• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I’ve never seen before was pickled pigs’ snouts ….big jars of it on the counter. Gross.
Working up in farm country Ontario when I was younger, around the Mildmay , Hanover areas, any of the local bars would have a big jar of pigs tails on the bar, much like you'd have a jar of pickled eggs. I thought they tasted awful, but the locals ate them up. An acquired taste for sure.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink
You truly can get anything on Amazon these days.

But you miss the experience of going here to get it. Check out the sign:
View attachment 135551
I grew up in Lancaster, PA, and we got our meat from a local butcher. I was used to seeing brains, pigs feet, cows’ tongues, and pig’s stomach in the meat case. I never wanted to eat it, but my little kid brain was fascinated by it. When I went to college and saw meat in the grocery store pre-wrapped in plastic, I was horrified. I’d only ever seen meat cut fresh and wrapped in butcher paper. You’ll see the same things in this store pictured above. One thing I’ve never seen before was pickled pigs’ snouts ….big jars of it on the counter. Gross.

When I went in to get Phil’s goodies in April, a very elderly woman cutting vegetables with a very sharp knife waited on me. She was trying to convince me to buy some sticky buns….and she was telling me how they made them there with potatoes instead of flour, while waving the knife a mere inches from my face! It was a bit disconcerting. Her daughter finally came over and said, “‘Mom, I don’t think this woman needs a knife held to her to convince her to buy the buns!” :roflmao:

Scanned the pic real quick. Read the last item offered on the upper left of the sign as "LIVE ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS". :geek:
Still get most of the items listed regularly in NYC with the exception of ox tail and oysters. Ox tails has gotten way too expensive. :huh: Oysters - way too much empathic pain involved. :ogcool:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scanned the pic real quick. Read the last item offered on the upper left of the sign as "LIVE ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS". :geek:
Still get most of the items listed regularly in NYC with the exception of ox tail and oysters. Ox tails has gotten way too expensive. :huh: Oysters - way too much empathic pain involved. :ogcool:
OH, now I see what you mean. OMG. Any male should be crossing their legs at that!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think you'll find this in local stores in New Mexico. I'm impressed with the addition of basil, rosemary and thyme. Gourmet cuisine...
It’s a trade off for homemade tortillas in the grocery store and tamales from little hole in the wall eateries. ogsmile

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Omg. I do t remember the last time. I had braciole. Please send recipe.
This recipe will make four braciole.
Start with 4 thin slices top sirloin pounded even thinner.
Partially cook a pound of bacon and divide in to four quarters.
Make a paste out of garlic and spread on one side of all 4 pieces of top sirloin.
Lay out bacon strips out on the top sirloin and add grating cheese on the top.
Next add some bread crumbs and parsley.
I like raisins so I add them, but that is a matter of taste. Some people also add pine (pignoli) nuts but we don't.
Tuck the short ends up and roll up length wise so it is sealed up for no leaks during cooking. You can use toothpicks to hold it closed.
Place all 4 in your large pot of gravy and cook for about 2.5 hours at slow simmer. DO NOT BURN BY COOKING TOO FAST.
When finished remove all the toothpicks and slice across the rolled meat with a sharp knife but not a serrated knife. It is good to hold the braciole with tongs when cutting so it doesn't fall apart.
Good luck, enjoy and post pictures.
PS: It can be made with pork cutlets instead of beef if you like.

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s a trade off for homemade tortillas in the grocery store and tamales from little hole in the wall eateries. ogsmile
Ah yes, the easy access to good Mexican and Southwestern food! Real New Mexican food is a special sub-class of these, no rice, seafood, etc. But I can get tamales from the local Mexican eateries around Kennett Square. The many mushroom farms have brought in a sizable Hispanic community to our area.

My Mexican/Texas cooking is pretty hybridized. Last weekend I made smoked pork ribs (6 hr) with an adobo/chipotle rub/glaze (no sauce) with chayotes and rice topped with cojita cheese (a family favorite).

Uncle-A

Skier
That would be my plate of little necks
Actually they are a little bigger because they are called middle neck clams. They are just as tasty and you get more of a clam.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My first go with smoked salmon. In a perfect world I'd have used alder and honey but I had neither so it is apple and pure maple syrup. I thought I might have brined it too long but 12 hrs seemed to be just about right. Then several hours in the fridge to get the pellicle layer, then on to the smoker for a couple of hours and a few coatings of the syrup. Maybe a hair too much smoke but my son and @AKMINK say it tastes good so that's something!
20210828_115530.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first go with smoked salmon. In a perfect world I'd have used alder and honey but I had neither so it is apple and pure maple syrup. I thought I might have brined it too long but 12 hrs seemed to be just about right. Then several hours in the fridge to get the pellicle layer, then on to the smoker for a couple of hours and a few coatings of the syrup. Maybe a hair too much smoke but my son and @AKMINK say it tastes good so that's something!
View attachment 140925
Looks great. Sounds like hot smoke.

I'm wondering if you could have just left it outside for a cold smoke. :roflmao:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks great. Sounds like hot smoke.

I'm wondering if you could have just left it outside for a cold smoke. :roflmao:
Not today. It's actually breathable.

Uncle-A

Skier
This is what was the main course of yesterdays dock party with the guys I fish with.
PXL_20210905_211609202.jpg

Fellow fisherman and community member @Tex should enjoy this photo of grilling beef tenderloin.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Never cooked a tomahawk before. But I have a hoard of hungry guys headed my way and needed to make sure it’s worth serving. It is. FAE149F1-99CF-4567-9B4C-F5D02837A876.jpeg 7BAA1CF1-B0CC-4E50-B4B7-9441B9BF4F3E.jpeg

Sponsor