• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Well, at 12% to 20% and more, ya, they make a lot of money on the interest part of credit cards when people use that service by not paying their balance every month. If everyone paid as they went, not so much.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My son owns an all-day cafe in Brooklyn. Hipsters don't have cash. But he has been living on a very small margin during and through the pandemic. He instituted (and posted prominently) a 4% surcharge for CC use. If he didn't do that, he'd reduce his already small margin to "negligible" on most transactions given all his expenses.
An unpleasant reality...but a reality nonetheless.

As someone else noted, CC companies must be earning a fair bit if they can offer % back on cardholder's purchases. Who do we think is bankrolling this gig?
4% seems high, the retailer is only charged about 1% for credit card use and that is for Visa and Master Card it is a little higher for American Express which is the most expensive one.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
4% seems high, the retailer is only charged about 1% for credit card use and that is for Visa and Master Card it is a little higher for American Express which is the most expensive one.
Discount rates are based on merchant provider, volume and type of transactions. It is not possible to identify what an individual business may be charged.

Uncle-A

Skier
Discount rates are based on merchant provider, volume and type of transactions. It is not possible to identify what an individual business may be charged.
None of the 4 shops I worked were charged more than 1% and two were small businesses and two that were large volume stores.

Uncle-A

Skier

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
20220606_235952.jpg

Oatmeal Energy Bars

I tried the 5-Ingredient Energy Bars but did not like the texture, so I adapted the recipe. These bars have no added sweetener. They are great for breakfast or as a snack.

1/2 cup ripe banana, mashed (approx 1.5 bananas)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick, not instant)
3 tbsp dates, minced
3 tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 T coconut oil

Melt coconut oil in 5×7 baking dish. Coat the bottom and sides of the dish with oil. Pour remainder into a medium bowl.

Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix thoroughly. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until just starting to lightly brown at the edges. Cool and cut.

I live at 5800' in elevation. Also I bake these in a glass dish. Either of those may affect baking time.

Variations:

Use applesauce instead of banana. 2 of the individual cups is more than 1/2 cup of applesauce, but works fine. When I use applesauce, I double the cinnamon and may add a pinch of nutmeg.

Fruit/nut combos I have tried:
Date and walnut
Date and pecan
Dried cranberries and walnuts with applesauce base
Dried cranberries, pecans, and orange zest with applesauce base
Figs and pecans (fig didn't give a great deal of flavor)
Dried apricots and pecans with applesauce base
Dried cherries, pecans, and orange zest with applesauce base
Dried figs, dried blueberries, and pecans with applesauce base. (Lemon brightens up blueberries. I substituted approx a teaspoon of lemon juice for a teaspoon of water. Lemon zest would also work.)

You can also use add-ins such as mini chocolate chips.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks way too healthy. :nono:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 171155

Oatmeal Energy Bars

I tried the 5-Ingredient Energy Bars but did not like the texture, so I adapted the recipe. These bars have no added sweetener. They are great for breakfast or as a snack.

1/2 cup ripe banana, mashed (approx 1.5 bananas)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup oats (old fashioned or quick, not instant)
3 tbsp dates, minced
3 tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 T coconut oil

Melt coconut oil in 5×7 baking dish. Coat the bottom and sides of the dish with oil. Pour remainder into a medium bowl.

Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix thoroughly. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until just starting to lightly brown at the edges. Cool and cut.

I live at 5800' in elevation. Also I bake these in a glass dish. Either of those may affect baking time.

Variations:

Use applesauce instead of banana. 2 of the individual cups is more than 1/2 cup of applesauce, but works fine. When I use applesauce, I double the cinnamon and may add a pinch of nutmeg.

Fruit/nut combos I have tried:
Date and walnut
Date and pecan
Dried cranberries and walnuts with applesauce base
Dried cranberries, pecans, and orange zest with applesauce base
Figs and pecans (fig didn't give a great deal of flavor)
Dried apricots and pecans with applesauce base
Dried cherries, pecans, and orange zest with applesauce base
Dried figs, dried blueberries, and pecans with applesauce base. (Lemon brightens up blueberries. I substituted approx a teaspoon of lemon juice for a teaspoon of water. Lemon zest would also work.)

You can also use add-ins such as mini chocolate chips.
I've done those with steel cut oatmeal and peanut butter. Do not eat too many at once. Just sayin'....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done those with steel cut oatmeal and peanut butter. Do not eat too many at once. Just sayin'....

If you remove the whole thing from the pan in one piece and not cut it up. You can technically say you only had one piece. We all know one piece is never too much. Right? :ogbiggrin:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you remove the whole thing from the pan in one piece and not cut it up. You can technically say you only had one piece. We all know one piece is never too much. Right? :ogbiggrin:
We also know what concentrated oats can do!

Sponsor

Staff online