• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How does the hot honey work with figs? Am always reluctant to adulterate fresh figs....but when it comes to food you have my trust and confidence!!!
Just ask the yellow jackets. They always know.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
How does the hot honey work with figs? Am always reluctant to adulterate fresh figs....but when it comes to food you have my trust and confidence!!!
It is an aquired taste, first you have to like a bit of heat added to the sweet flavor of the fig. Try it first with just one fig and a small drop of the hot honey, some people carmilize the fig first by cutting it in half top to bottom and placing it flat side down on a hot pan for several seconds than add the hot honey as soon as you take it out of the pan. I like it with out the carmilization but that is only me and a lot about food comes down to individual tastes. As I have gotten older I find hot spicy foods don't agree with me as much as they did in my earlier days so I take them in small amounts. But I do like the hot honey on the fresh figs. Give it a try you might like it, just don't add too much hot honey.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tonight, a cool autumn night, I'm going to turn these simple ingredients:
1665788988355.jpeg

into this: (a silky steamy scrumptiously delicious soul warming gift from the culinary Gods)

Risotto alla Milanese
1665789360781.jpeg
For some reason the steam rising up didn't translate into the picture, but steam was rising at photo time. This is a dish I reserve for the first cold night of autumn. Eaten outside under the stars next to a fire. A side of sauteed wild maitake mushrooms foraged from our woods accompanied the affair.

James

Out There
Instructor
For some reason the steam rising up didn't translate into the picture
People used to blow cigarette smoke on food before clicking the shutter to show the steam.
6,000 watts of lights also helps.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tonight, a cool autumn night, I'm going to turn these simple ingredients:
View attachment 180552

into this: (a silky steamy scrumptiously delicious soul warming gift from the culinary Gods)

Risotto alla Milanese
View attachment 180553
For some reason the steam rising up didn't translate into the picture, but steam was rising at photo time. This is a dish I reserve for the first cold night of autumn. Eaten outside under the stars next to a fire. A side of sauteed wild maitake mushrooms foraged from our woods accompanied the affair.
Where is the osso buco???

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where is the osso buco???
Haha...yeah, I've certainly made risotto with osso buco. But this recipe really needs no meat accompaniment. With the bone marrow and a generous portion of saffron, it's rich and satisfying.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha...yeah, I've certainly made risotto with osso buco. But this recipe really needs no meat accompaniment. With the bone marrow and a generous portion of saffron, it's rich and satisfying.
I SO agree with this. I like osso buco. I like Scruffy's dish well enough. I LOVE risotto, generally speaking. (Probably excessively, as it's my go-to comfort and use-up-leftovers food.) But osso buco is rich and warm. Risotto alla Milanese is even richer ad warmer in color, flavor, and fat. It's overkill. I DO like osso buco with a leaner, simpler risotto - especially one with a bit of an edge like some bitter greens thrown in at the last minute, or a bit of heat.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dinner last night, this little fryer cooks my crappie so nicely…caught these after duck hunting this weekend.

07660595-62A1-43C4-8B12-68DD59CE2045.jpeg
25338A57-92BF-45F4-8B45-441E34B70CC9.jpeg 182BAAD6-065F-4A97-857D-D0E103663CDF.jpeg

Uncle-A

Skier
Stuffed Cabbage and Cheese Potatoes with Bacon.
PXL_20221127_202104512.MP.jpg
PXL_20221127_202111577.MP.jpg

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
@Uncle-A That looks so good. Please keep posting pictures!!!! The culinary wasteland of Minneapolis make me appreciate my return trips to and all of the calories that get consumed when I return to NJ and NYC!!!

Uncle-A

Skier
@Uncle-A That looks so good. Please keep posting pictures!!!! The culinary wasteland of Minneapolis make me appreciate my return trips to and all of the calories that get consumed when I return to NJ and NYC!!!
When are you coming east again? We can find a place to get a bite to eat, maybe in Hoboken?