• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Catchall Food Thread

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They were in the freezer section, not fresh.
There is thing that happened about a dozen years ago in Maine fish markets ; “ frozen and fresh frozen” . Since lobster is as much about texture, as anything, fresh is obviously the best but if it hasn’t been frozen too long it’s generally ok and as Phil said, butter has miraculous powers.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was cold and windy last night so the tritip was done in the oven. For $1/# over choice the prime is worth it. I used some leftover rub that I made up for a prime rib. Yummy! On a rack in the pan at 250° until it hit about 115°, then the broiler to get it to 130°, then seared in the pan to 135°. Perfect. BTW, that skillet is a 17 inches. Not a small piece of cow.
20230110_183529.jpg
20230110_184253.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks wonderful.

I also do tritips often. Lately been just going all low temp and then a broil/high heat at the end for a little color. Searing just seems to leave too large of a grey band (imo).

I'm also waiting for a dry spell to cook over charcoal again. The wet charcoal bag is shaming me daily.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
How long was that?
It started out pretty cold, about 1½ hours I think. I got behind and didn't get it out of the fridge early enough though I've recently read it doesn't matter a lot if you don't let it come to room temp. Some of these bigger cuts off meat would have to sit for quite a while.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Two on the grill and two thinner ones waiting. PXL_20230409_231220484.MP.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I cut my own from a rib roast I purchased at a BIG discount. Rubbed with salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil. Served with a Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2010.
The two thinner ones are for my wife and daughter the two thicker ones are for my daughter's partner and myself. I was careful about timing and all four finished just the way everyone likes their steak. No complaints about it being "Not the way I like it".

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow, there are so many more than I thought. I've got a cookbook from Biba Caggiano that is full of regional pasta dishes like these. The Bolognese and Napoletano are in there, but the others might be under different names. I've made her Lasagna Bolognese and it tastes just like that I had in Ferrara on an extended business trip/plant trial. Ferrara is famous for its pumpkin ravioli (cappellacci di zucca) that I always had served with a pork ragu made with prosciutto. If you search the internet, they say they are served with melted butter and sage, but I never saw it that way on the many menus, although it was late fall, almost winter.

Tonight I'm making a simple tomato sauce with prosciutto, fennel, basil, and garlic that is served over thin spaghetti. This is a family favorite from an old Italian-American cookbook that my wife uses for other dishes.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son made this beef bourguignon last night, the boy can cook, it was delicious. He said he followed Julia Child recipe, no pearl onions. He also cut the carrots really small, vs the recipe calls for big carrot chunks.

IMG_1473.jpeg IMG_1474.jpeg IMG_1475.jpeg

Taking my mom some.

IMG_1479.jpeg

Last edited:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier