• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ceramic Coatings are awesome!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phantom for your car?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
prepwork is most of the work, and it needs to perfect, hence the price is $$

and ceramics are actually awesome, phantom not so much always

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Phantom for your car?

If you used Phantom on your car, would it be slower beading water off it when you drove near lifts lines?:roflmao:

First thing I thought of when I heard of Phantom was “oh, a ceramic coating for skis. Makes sense”. Thank God for me that ceramic coatings don’t have all the curing time procedures that Phantom has.

Will have to try some ceramic coating on bases just for kicks sometime.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
'06 C-6 done a couple years back. Memory says 800 bucks- was happy with it. Kid had his ZL1 done by the same guy.same color and good results. And a shocker here. Sales of SS and ZL1's are banned in California and Washington state. Dealers can sell current inventory but no new orders. Copper content in the go fast stop fast brakes is too high to meet regs. Chevy is working on reduction of copper for 2022.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 15

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Has anyone had a vehicle coated by SigmaKore in Denver? Wondering about cost, and your experience. I punched in a quote on their web site and they came back with $1,100. Denver Audi dealer yesterday quoted $3,400, with SigmaKore as the sub on a new Audi. Denver Audi Is going to call SigmaKore tomorrow to rectify. It may be apples to oranges with the surfaces being coated. We will see.

In defense of Denver Audi, the person that I am working with at Denver Audi was stunned by the price difference and is going to ask that SigmaKore honor the $1,100.

Thanks in advance.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thats about what I paid for a Jeep GC, including windows and wheels.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Does the professionally applied ceramic coating have to be done yearly? Even if it is good for a lifetime I think it is overpriced compared to the spray on stuff that is available at Walmart and auto parts stores.

For best results clay bar the paint first to remove contaminants.

First application of the DIY ceramic polish is with cloth applicator and buff with clean cloth.

Subsequent applications are after you wash the car, spray on and hose off.

If you really want to be economical, then instead of spraying the ceramic poish every wash or every other wash, just wait until water stops beading off the paint, then do a ceramic spray on coating.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@Ron I gave you a like but I still think that the pro application is overpriced. My opinion is based largely on the DIY easy of application.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
no worries, for a product that lasts 7 years and if any aspect fails, they will re-apply. No need to wax or detail the vehicle. I'm OK with that.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
most product will need a "topoff" of some sort of hydrophobic booster, especially in our snow climate with tons of road salt

and with nail damage, minor misc damage, my tesla would see skibag damage (dont ask... on rear loading ) removing some coating and reapplying is also needed at times.
With that said I was amazed to see the how much the coating had saved the paint after 1,5 years.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
no worries, for a product that lasts 7 years and if any aspect fails, they will re-apply. No need to wax or detail the vehicle. I'm OK with that.

That is where I am. How much tine would I spend glazing and waxing? I've also learned that if I don't have a deep knowledge of the subject matter, it is far better to leave that task to professionals. One doesn't purchase one of the more expensive Audis and skimp on a coating. However, I also don't want to pay 3X fair market value.

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
I had CQuartz Finest Reserve applied to my 2019 F150. I had a pro apply it when the truck was new. Cost was $2700.

I had driven from the SF Bay Area to Tahoe every weekend last season and it's held up great. The paint still feels like it was just clayed.

Maintenance is a car wash every few weeks and the dirt, tar and bird droppings come off easily. It lives outside.

Hope that helps.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@martyg: I think I recall you have an SQ5. I had my 2020 (meaning not much paint correction had to be done first) SQ5 coated with Gtechniq, which is said to have a 5 year life. I use a mobile detailing guy, who's as anal as they come, who came to my house and paint prepped the SQ5 (minor work) and 3 of my other Audis (more significant paint prep), and coated them all with Gtechniq, for $2100. I can't tell which coating SigmaKore uses from their website, but they seem rather overpriced.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
@martyg: I think I recall you have an SQ5. I had my 2020 (meaning not much paint correction had to be done first) SQ5 coated with Gtechniq, which is said to have a 5 year life. I use a mobile detailing guy, who's as anal as they come, who came to my house and paint prepped the SQ5 (minor work) and 3 of my other Audis (more significant paint prep), and coated them all with Gtechniq, for $2100. I can't tell which coating SigmaKore uses from their website, but they seem rather overpriced.

Thanks so much.

For the sake of convenience - new vehicle going to SignaKore, being fully prepped, and then the dealer shipping to my door via enclosed carrier..... I am OK paying a few hundred extra.

Yes on the SQ5. TT RS is cued up.

Sponsor

Staff online