• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cervelo buys Cannondale..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Or rather, their parent company buys Cannondale's parent company.. That's a big deal.

From Vitalmtb:
Pon Holdings to acquire Dorel Sports, creating a world-leading bike company

• Combination Dorel Sports and Pon.Bike creates a leading bike company in the world with around 2.5 billion euro in revenues
  • Acquisition fully fits Pon Holdings strategy to build a complete portfolio of premium and electric bike brands covering all categories
  • 15 top brands, including Cannondale, Schwinn, Caloi, Gazelle, Swapfiets, Kalkhoff, Cervélo, Santa Cruz
  • Canadian Dorel Industries and Pon Holdings agreed on acquisition; sale expected to close before the end of the first quarter of 2022
Amsterdam, 11 October 2021 – Pon Holdings, headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands acquires US-based bike company Dorel Sports. By combining Pon.Bike and Dorel Sports, a leading bicycle company in the world will be created, with a combined revenue of around 2.5 billion euro. Pon Holdings and Dorel Industries Inc., the parent company of Dorel Sports, today announced the acquisition.

The combination of Pon.Bike and Dorel Sports creates a bicycle company with the strongest portfolio of iconic and quality brands. Dorel Sports (1.2 billion US dollar revenue) owns the worldwide renowned brand Cannondale, with a complete range of premium bike models for all types of riders, including a strong e-portfolio. The American Original brand Schwinn is the number 1 in awareness in the United States, with a heritage of 125 years. The same rich history applies to Caloi, market leader in Brazil providing a leading position in Latin and South America. Mongoose and GT are both from California and are icons in the Dirt and BMX community.

Full article here:

Last edited by a moderator:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Or rather, their parent company buys Cannondale's parent company.. That's a big deal.
As a Cannondale rider, I see this as a positive. The previous company has done harm to Cannondale's reputation (while still turning out some great bikes, along with a few plagued by problems). Cervelo is a serious bike company. Not sure what their plans are, but I have more confidence in them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Explains the Tinker Juarez situation, they might have needed to control the cash flow.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
1633982083206.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
More recently, they had a really nice allroad hit with the Grade. And then there's the original Tachyon with 650D wheels.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For some reason, I never warmed up to GT's Triple Triange frame.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So... talk about hatebait, imagine a Cervelo BB shell, GT tripletriangle, Lefty fork on a Malwartgoose.

Anyway, talking of Pon - anyone here have a Gazelle wheel or a BBB helmet?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Once the bikes started to come from over-there-somewhere instead of Bedford, PA, the bikes lost the quality that got them where they were in the bike biz. If I park my '19 'dale next to any of my 80's-90's bikes it's an in your face difference. Now they are just tools or appliances if you like. But that's true of most of their competitors too.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Explains the Tinker Juarez situation, they might have needed to control the cash flow.

Combined revenue of 2.5 billion euro vs. Tinker's annual stipend of $25,000? I'm missing something there. That's called a "rounding error".

The GT Zaskar was one of the great MTB's. I hope they can can bring us beauties like that again.

My first "gucci" mtb, after my first ever mtb GT Karakoram K2! I was going to buy an XT version in the spring, but my wife bought the LE and hid it in her sewing room closet for a Christmas present. Such a great memory.

FYI, the Zaskar still exists. Per last month's MBA, it's been in Europe as a carbon XC bike, and now in the USA as an aluminum trail hardtail (a little more travel). GREAT article detailing the history of the Zaskar, Hans Rey, etc..

Once the bikes started to come from over-there-somewhere instead of Bedford, PA, the bikes lost the quality that got them where they were in the bike biz. If I park my '19 'dale next to any of my 80's-90's bikes it's an in your face difference. Now they are just tools or appliances if you like. But that's true of most of their competitors too.

Aesthetically, yes, but every C'Dale hardtail mtb from that era broke at least once a season. Sample size in my group back then was 5 or 6.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Combined revenue of 2.5 billion euro vs. Tinker's annual stipend of $25,000? I'm missing something there. That's called a "rounding error".
Usually in a purchase, the purchasee will minimize everything on the ledger and his contract renewal might jsut have been at the wrong time.