• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cervelo Sells Out

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Interesting. Those are some not-small bikes for their size and I'll bet Medium doesn't handle much like Large.

I couldn't help but compare that to the Turner Nitrous frames @Tom K. posted earlier this year - small Turner to medium ZHT-5.

(If I had ordered the Turner then, I'd have zero -to- negative ZHT envy now)

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are not sellling out, they are meeting the market's AND THEIR RACERS' needs. It's just business.

Shined that up a little bit for you!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I read this Cervelo thread and all that's in my head now is "Turner Nitrous." Somehow I missed that.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I think you're missing out on how funny @Philpug's post actually is :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Maybe put some quotes around the terms?
I have been accused of being a little slow every since I washed my hockey gitch in the sink at work and tied it to my roof rack to dry on the way to the rink... :geek::roflmao:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven’t you ever dated someone who said they would never do it before marriage and then they did? Didn’t that make it even better?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Haven’t you ever dated someone who said they would never do it before marriage and then they did? Didn’t that make it even better?

I see where you're going with this.

You want Cervelo and Canyon to start doing gift registry.

"Screw Mikasa and Pfaltzgraff, I want Eagle dinner plates and TA forks"

Last edited:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
5300eur for generic HT, pretty low level fork and Sram GX or 10.000eur for same with frame, normal fork and Sram XX1? Ok that yellow doesn't look bad, I have to say that, but Sram is in first place deal breaker for me, and 5-10k for HT is well... not really something I would be willing to spend, even if it would have Shimano equipment. Regardless of sticker on frame, I would say it's pretty easy to get way better bike, even in HT range, for half the price.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was inevitable. Just like SUV's, who ever thought Ferrari would make one?
5300eur for generic HT, pretty low level fork and Sram GX or 10.000eur for same with frame, normal fork and Sram XX1? Ok that yellow doesn't look bad, I have to say that, but Sram is in first place deal breaker for me, and 5-10k for HT is well... not really something I would be willing to spend, even if it would have Shimano equipment. Regardless of sticker on frame, I would say it's pretty easy to get way better bike, even in HT range, for half the price.
The question is less on why they would make it. It's more on why their customer would pay high premium for a product no better than competition that cost half as much. Just for the badge? Or maybe they're not as knowledgeable on the new offering just like the manufacturer?

I confess I've made that same mistake, in a smaller way. I had good experience with a brand. Multiple wwell designed, well engineered items that stood the test of time. So when I needed something else not in their traditional offering, I still went to them without thinking. Even after the product didn't work too well, I hung on to it and try to make it work for me... It wasn't until it failed miserably that I went looking outside that manufacturer!

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Pon wanted/needed a true "XC" race bike for their racers. Santa Cruz as a brand does not fit this need/philosophy. Cervelo does.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Pon wanted/needed a true "XC" race bike for their racers. Santa Cruz as a brand does not fit this need/philosophy. Cervelo does.
I honestly don't buy this. If it would be really so, they would put out fully not HT. How many guys did run more then zero races on HT in last season or two of XCO WC racing? There is maybe one or two here and there, but majority is on FS bikes nowadays. So if Cervelo would really go and make bike for Vader (no idea which other rider from Jumbo (I guess Jumbo is only protour team on Cervelo or?) would be racing mtb), they would most likely go with FS. But first, I really doubt Vader was, and after that horrific crash he's even less, such huge factor either on road or on mtb, that any bike company would go out to develop bike for him, and second with FS it's even easier to notice that frame is some generic chinese frame with new sticker on (or BMC with no sticker).
In my mind, it's most likely trying to cash in some profit real cheap with road fans of Jumbo and/or Cervelo, who would go for mtb ride here and there occasionally and want matching bike to their road bike and Jumbo fan clothes.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I honestly don't buy this. If it would be really so, they would put out fully not HT. How many guys did run more then zero races on HT in last season or two of XCO WC racing? There is maybe one or two here and there, but majority is on FS bikes nowadays. So if Cervelo would really go and make bike for Vader (no idea which other rider from Jumbo (I guess Jumbo is only protour team on Cervelo or?) would be racing mtb), they would most likely go with FS. But first, I really doubt Vader was, and after that horrific crash he's even less, such huge factor either on road or on mtb, that any bike company would go out to develop bike for him, and second with FS it's even easier to notice that frame is some generic chinese frame with new sticker on (or BMC with no sticker).
In my mind, it's most likely trying to cash in some profit real cheap with road fans of Jumbo and/or Cervelo, who would go for mtb ride here and there occasionally and want matching bike to their road bike and Jumbo fan clothes.
100%

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
...speaking of sell outs:

Volvo actually told me they would never make one ( I was dealing with there marketing group at the time). 3 months later , I receive a slick promotional brochure with what appears to be an XC 90 on the cover. I called and said what’s up with this SUV on the cover?- you told me they weren’t safe. A pause and then they tried to convince me it was the wagon and it was just the angle of the photograph… If they were trying to keep it secret they did an awful job. . SUV’s now account for 70% of there sales in N.A.

Sponsor