• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes Chain lube for Winter fat biking?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I need some lube... from what I can see through searching, the Rock N Roll Extreme , Muc-Off Wet or Muc-off -50. Suggestions?

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use at the recommendation of my local shop. Boeshield T9. Far as I can tell it works as I've never used anything else.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Smoove.

I pedal hard. I'm a chain lube nut. I've tried dozens (and made/modified a few myself).

Smoove lasts 15 hours for me. Crazy. Nothing else is even close.

Developed for use at the Cape Epic.

@Ron: Emergency Notification: Tag this thread with a Fat Biking prefix, or things are going to melt down!

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll throw in a vote for NixFrixShun (i.e. NFS). The stuff simply lasts a long time through rough conditions. I've only used the original formula and it does well through messy, muddy winters. The Blue Devil formula is purportedly better and I'll be testing it this winter.

Reactions: Ron

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Smoove.

I pedal hard. I'm a chain lube nut. I've tried dozens (and made/modified a few myself).

Smoove lasts 15 hours for me. Crazy. Nothing else is even close.

Developed for use at the Cape Epic.

@Ron: Emergency Notification: Tag this thread with a Fat Biking prefix, or things are going to melt down!

Just ordered it, have never used it so well see. :ogcool:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just ordered it, have never used it so well see. :ogcool:

Smoove strongly recommends a good solvent/soapy cleaning prior to the first application. I've done one chain that way, and one just embarrassingly dry and lightly cleaned. Both methods worked fine.

They also recommend not wiping things down after application and drying. I find that a light wipe with a solvent-sprayed rag keeps things cleaner without impacting longevity.

Also, warm lube. I keep mine in the laundry room during the winter, rather than the 55 degree shop.

Finally, for whatever reason, I have not had as good of luck with my new SRAM 12-speed road chain as I have with the Eagle and Shimano chains. Probably user error, but more like 10 hours, not 15.