• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chamonix - Late Summer tips, ideas, suggestions, etc.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To the OP, sorry, you asked about summer hiking and we talk about snow and skiing… because skiing forum ;-)

I may have started the thread drift, but it was related to hiking, as we embark on our Tour du Mont Blanc journey later this week. I was wondering about the snow we may encounter on our hikes. From feedback I have received in other forums, we will have minimal problems, not enough to bring microspikes or anything like that.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I've encountered a few snowpatches when hiking in the Alps in the summer in the usual suspect places (high north facing under ridge line i.e. where wind accumulation/packing was probably most intense in winter) . I wouldn't say basic ice traction cleats are a bad idea on a just in case basis but I have no specifics on the TMB nor how light and lucky you are planning on going.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've encountered a few snowpatches when hiking in the Alps in the summer in the usual suspect places (high north facing under ridge line i.e. where wind accumulation/packing was probably most intense in winter) . I wouldn't say basic ice traction cleats are a bad idea on a just in case basis but I have no specifics on the TMB nor how light and lucky you are planning on going.
Well, the microspikes are sitting out with the pile of stuff I will be attempting to fit into my bag sometime today. :rolleyes:

Not generally a person who depends on lucky, I'm well aware of the unpredictability of mountain travel and am geared up. The TdMB is a popular and heavily travelled route, and I think our highest pass is about 8700'. Latest intel from someone who just completed the hike indicated just a few patches of snow on the higher passes.

Started another thread which I will update with pics, etc as we do this.
https://www.skitalk.com/threads/tour-du-mont-blanc.27586/

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I may have started the thread drift, but it was related to hiking, as we embark on our Tour du Mont Blanc journey later this week. I was wondering about the snow we may encounter on our hikes. From feedback I have received in other forums, we will have minimal problems, not enough to bring microspikes or anything like that.
Snow is well below average in the Alps. Mont Blanc region was a bit less below average than others, but still below. That’s not to say you won’t come across snowfields - depending on route etc. If you are staying at huts you can try calling and asking them, they tend to have good info on conditions.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To the OP, sorry, you asked about summer hiking and we talk about snow and skiing… because skiing forum ;-)
No worries!

Enjoy! I look forward to following the other thread.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I leave in just over a week! I will fly into Paris then we all hop a train to Chamonix the next morning. We’re planning 2 hikes, a day over to Courmayuer, and who knows what else. My dad, stepmom, and I then head to Lyon for 2 nights. I’m beyond excited although still struggling to settle on a hiking pack and some other gear issues.

James

Out There
Instructor
I leave in just over a week! I will fly into Paris then we all hop a train to Chamonix the next morning. We’re planning 2 hikes, a day over to Courmayuer, and who knows what else. My dad, stepmom, and I then head to Lyon for 2 nights. I’m beyond excited although still struggling to settle on a hiking pack and some other gear issues.
Sounds great!

Lyon, on the way to skiing in 2019-

4FBE1783-31B7-4344-AF65-388C551C8F1C.jpeg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will you be in Chamonix over a Saturday? The farmers market is great, if so (I assume it's still on Saturday, surely you can look it up). And there is more gear there than you can shake a stick at, some stuff we don't get here, if you are interested in a pack that is also a souvenir.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will you be in Chamonix over a Saturday? The farmers market is great, if so (I assume it's still on Saturday, surely you can look it up). And there is more gear there than you can shake a stick at, some stuff we don't get here, if you are interested in a pack that is also a souvenir.

Sadly, we leave early Saturday morning. I’ll have to tell you the pack saga in person. Let’s just say that I’ll be returning 3 or 4 to REI this week.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Look forward to the photo diary - should be good outside the high summer heat and august crowds.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That view never gets old