• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changing lightbulbs in cathedral ceiling fans

Kevin should...

• Hire someone to change his light bulb

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Hire someone to change the fixture so he can change his own light bulb in the future

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Buy a bigger ladder so he can change the lightbulb safely

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Buy scaffolding. He'll probably need it for other projects anyway

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Call Jersey Skier's wife to get a referal

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Retired EE here who could not replace a light bulb !

Our 20 yr old Maytag fridge had a light bulb burnt out. Tried about 8 lamps from my collection of appliance, fan. candle bulbs etc.
None would screw in. The glass bulbs in all bulged out too far next to the base so they hung up on side of the socket.
A trip to a hardware store showed none of theirs would fit either.

I came up with a good engineering fix. LOL I took the one that seemed best and soldered a big fat lump of solder to the center contact-
sloppy blob about 1/4 inch thick. Worked like a champ ! Screwed in just far enough to make contact ! I'd have to do this mod again
if this one burns out. Not likely as fridge bulbs should last 10 to 20 years. Proud of this fix ! :ogbiggrin:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Retired EE here who could not replace a light bulb !

Our 20 yr old Maytag fridge had a light bulb burnt out. Tried about 8 lamps from my collection of appliance, fan. candle bulbs etc.
None would screw in. The glass bulbs in all bulged out too far next to the base so they hung up on side of the socket.
A trip to a hardware store showed none of theirs would fit either.

I came up with a good engineering fix. LOL I took the one that seemed best and soldered a big fat lump of solder to the center contact-
sloppy blob about 1/4 inch thick. Worked like a champ ! Screwed in just far enough to make contact ! I'd have to do this mod again
if this one burns out. Not likely as fridge bulbs should last 10 to 20 years. Proud of this fix ! :ogbiggrin:
Correction: fridge bulbs used to last 10 to 20 years. The new improved ones probably don't last that long. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online