• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Changing lightbulbs in cathedral ceiling fans

Kevin should...

• Hire someone to change his light bulb

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Hire someone to change the fixture so he can change his own light bulb in the future

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Buy a bigger ladder so he can change the lightbulb safely

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Buy scaffolding. He'll probably need it for other projects anyway

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Call Jersey Skier's wife to get a referal

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Isn’t this quote 100% wrong?

——————
Picture the rotors (helicopter or fan) as if you are looking down on them. The right hand side (0- to 180-degrees) of the 360-degree disc is called the side of attack and the left side (180- to 360-degrees) is called the side of retreat. Both sets of blades spin counter-clockwise. The side of attack actually spins slower than the side of retreat. This is due to the drag on the side of attack and the absence of drag on the side of retreat. Also, the far outer end of the blades moves slower than the inner center of the blades.
—————-

Outside moves slower than inside? That’s opposite, no?

This quote really needs a diagram next to it. It's making my head hurt trying to understand what is being said. If you can't draw a picture of it, it's wrong.

The 'Big Ass Fans' are so much more effective since they actually have some engineering thought into the blades. They use an airfoil. It's like comparing a powerboat propeller and its performance versus a paddle boat. A well designed propeller is going to do a better job at moving air.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn’t this quote 100% wrong?

——————
Picture the rotors (helicopter or fan) as if you are looking down on them. The right hand side (0- to 180-degrees) of the 360-degree disc is called the side of attack and the left side (180- to 360-degrees) is called the side of retreat....

Outside moves slower than inside? That’s opposite, no?
That distinction is for a helicopter with forward velocity, bulk airspeed adding to rotor airspeed. if your ceiling fan has a forward velocity at the hub, you are in trouble.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That distinction is for a helicopter with forward velocity, bulk airspeed adding to rotor airspeed. if your ceiling fan has a forward velocity at the hub, you are in trouble.
Either way, turning a fan on and off doesn't "dust" anything, including the fan itself.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
What I don't understand about ceiling fan designers is why so many of them don't put all the controls -- including reverse -- on the wall switch that controls them.

The fact that many ceiling fans don't have a remote way of operating the "reverse" switch means they're absolutely useless for my application.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What I don't understand about ceiling fan designers is why so many of them don't put all the controls -- including reverse -- on the wall switch that controls them.

The fact that many ceiling fans don't have a remote way of operating the "reverse" switch means they're absolutely useless for my application.
Well sounds like you've got some requirements to provide them when you visit the lighting store. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it might have a downward velocity when Kevin loses balance, grabs it, and rips it down.
But, the quote is from a fan company, and they reference the “rotors” of a fan.

(Besides, Kevin’s fan is actually moving at around 1,240 km/hr, or 770mph. Assuming hes at 42deg north latitude.)

Either way, turning a fan on and off doesn't "dust" anything.
Sure can on the ground if it’s strong enough and the dust is lose. Not clinging like on a car.
Well sounds like you've got some requirements to provide them when you visit the lighting store. :)
He should be visiting a fan store.
Ah, I forget the Paul Revere heritage.
Well expense. How you going to sell that fan for <$100?
I think the question is, who would install an unreachable fan with no reachable controls?
Ah, they’re long gone.

Last edited:

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Either way, turning a fan on and off doesn't "dust" anything, including the fan itself.

duty_calls.png

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Well, they use to, at least with the high end fans. I put in a 20 foot cathedral ceiling over my kitchen/living room when I remodeled my house the first time, back in 1988-89. I wanted a good ceiling fan light combo to help cool in summer and reverse in winter to move the heat around. I researched, as best I could without internet back then, and found the best was Casablanca ceiling fans. At the time they were excellent. Lifetime warranty and extremely quiet and no wobble at all. There is a wall mounted controller that controls fan speed ( 6 speed settings ) and direction of fan as well as lights on/off, and 8 dim settings. The fan is still trucking right along after over 30 years of yeoman service, and it's still warrantied.

But - guess what? Casablanca sold out to Hunter Fans, and you know the rest of the script. I didn't even buy one for my newly built addition.

So, to answer your question- it's cost, certainly not technology. Every fan is completing against themselves in a race to the bottom right now.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Timely...one my ma's two ceiling fans on her cathedral ceiling pooched. Had a nice Made in USA one lasted 25 years, non-stop, never made a noise or wobble. Now I'm trying to find a good replacement..and not sure there is one...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?
A stick
I'll be here all week folks

Oh, I was taking that for granted - and I completely expected the discussion to include Hopi sticks and 23,000year old Polish Mammoth tusk 'sticks'.

...but the real question becomes, where does the leading edge begin and the trailing edge end?

The right hand side (0- to 180-degrees) of the 360-degree disc is called the side of attack and the left side (180- to 360-degrees) is called the side of retreat. Both sets of blades spin counter-clockwise. The side of attack actually spins slower than the side of retreat.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The 'Big Ass Fans' are so much more effective since they actually have some engineering thought into the blades. They use an airfoil. It's like comparing a powerboat propeller and its performance versus a paddle boat. A well designed propeller is going to do a better job at moving air.

Eh, BAFs use airfoils for low angles of attack (and low speeds for low noise).

Ever wonder how aerobatics planes can fly upside down? Their wings tend to symmetrical cross sections. What gives them lift is high angle of attack, which of course makes the path over the wing longer than the one under the wing.

Calling reversible, high speed ceiling fan blades 'not airfoils' is a bit troublesome since then we'd also have to call aerobatics plane wings 'not airfoils'.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We saw this ceiling fan at the Skeetawk yurt today
6CAE0FFF-47CE-4D89-96A2-30AE7D30E37D.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Timely...one my ma's two ceiling fans on her cathedral ceiling pooched. Had a nice Made in USA one lasted 25 years, non-stop, never made a noise or wobble. Now I'm trying to find a good replacement..and not sure there is one...
The one I got for my guest bedroom was labled whisper quiet and I really like it.