• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Characteristics of a good crud ski

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I like in a crud ski is a little bit of tip rocker, but not too much rocker. I like it to be stiff enough to power through the crud, but nimble enough that I can work it without having to muscle it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dampening. I like a ski that is a bit heavier that does not get pushed around, it needs to be complient and able to flex verses too stiff that will plow through the snow.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Back in the 80s, before shaped skis and the demise of the Soviet Union, Elan skis were made in a communist country and the skis coming from the Canadian supplier to the ski shops had a sticker on the skis saying that they should be tuned (made flat) before being sold. I always thought that these skis were crude.

As far as crud skis, give me a damp ski that is fairly wide, with a stiff tip that is at its best making large radius turns at speed.

Right or wrong, I still like to think that the old Volkl Snow Ranger still rules the crud. Heavy, hard to turn, and generally a lot of work to ski by today's standards, the SN was one of the first fat skis.It was basically a GS race ski that they made 20% wider. My guess is that the Mantra is a distant cousin.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK..So what are some of your favorite crud busters...now?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I loved my Icelantic Gypsies for crud busting - fat, heavy, stable, damp. The 4 wheeler of skis. I once ran over a soccer ball-sized chunk of ice with them, and just kept right on trucking. They did not care. But they were also exhausting to ski all day. Heavy cuts both ways.

Getting on the Santa Ana was a revelation - an everyday ski that busted crud. I don't think they'd do quite as well with a soccer ball of ice, but short of that, they're pretty impressive. And THAT is what led me to realize that I am a big fan of sidewall construction in general, but especially in crud.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
At least +20m radius to start. Damp and maybe on the heavier side. Nice medium stiff flex, perhaps a bit of early rise. I like some metal, but appreciate that isn't a requirement.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I loved my Icelantic Gypsies for crud busting - fat, heavy, stable, damp. The 4 wheeler of skis. I once ran over a soccer ball-sized chunk of ice with them, and just kept right on trucking. They did not care. But they were also exhausting to ski all day. Heavy cuts both ways.

Getting on the Santa Ana was a revelation - an everyday ski that busted crud. I don't think they'd do quite as well with a soccer ball of ice, but short of that, they're pretty impressive. And THAT is what led me to realize that I am a big fan of sidewall construction in general, but especially in crud.

This is what I want them for! Tomorrow they arrive and I will have them mounted up and ready to test on Thursday :daffy:We've gotten close to 18" in the past 24 hours with more falling, too so there'll be plenty of crud around by then.

So, I have not much to contribute because crud is my nemesis, but I will say I probably lean toward what @Tricia is saying. I seem to lean toward a ski that is maneuverable and doesn't dive into it, but has enough heft that I don't get tossed around like a rag doll. I guess I could introduce to this topic how much a skier's weight plays into what they like in a "crude" ski ;)

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What I look for in a crude ski is stiffness, tip and radius allowing carve ability in 3D and an awful gutter mouth.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
First question I have is what do you consider to be "crud"? As Bob Barnes' "crudology" video states, crud can vary from mildly challenging to truly obnoxious. What I want on my feet depends on where the conditions reside on that spectrum.

East coast crud that's rapidly being churned into mogul fields demands one thing; I like something nimble... The leg-breaking concrete that I encountered somewhere at Snowmass during the Gathering required a bulldozer.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My perspective is in PNW crud, Cascade Concrete. Our "powder" can be formed into snowballs.

I agree with turning radius of >20m, more like 23m+. Width in mid-90's to 110. Moderate rocker/early rise. Rounded tails with some rise but not a lot of rocker. Even flex throughout the length of the ski, no hinge points. Sidewall rather than cap construction. Damp without being too heavy. Metal or not, or heavy or light is not the issue, rather how the core and layup absorb and transmit energy. Light skis with carbon in the right places can work wonders.

ON3P Wrenegade is a good example. It's been in 112 and 102, for next year 108, 98 and 88. The 88 is just a bit too narrow and turny, the 98 and 108 are confidence-inspiring in crud. My Rev 105 would be good except the radius is too tight, which tends to overturn in crud.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What I look for in a crude ski is stiffness, tip and radius allowing carve ability in 3D and an awful gutter mouth.

Hitting on other skiers and liftees from the singles line.. Leaving a big mess behind at the lodge...

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
My favorite crud ski is the Nordica Girish, slight tip rocker, traditional camber through the tail, 25m tr. Damp and smooth, very nice.
I like a crud ski that knifes through crud rather one that rides up and over. It comes down to 'intent', I would rather ski fast making longer turns than 'noodle', for noodling I would want something lighter with a bit more rocker and maybe a touch wider.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I like something that mutes feedback. Given a choice between, say, an Enforcer and an FX84, I'll take the Kästles — at least for this year's eastern crud. The FXs are pretty light, even with two sheets of metal, but they don't deflect. They ride over some things and cut through some things, and I hardly feel either.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kastle FX 104 is one damn crude ski. Highly over rated :D

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier

This rings so true to me. My favorite crud ski that I've personally owned were my Dynastar Huge Troubles. They could punch through difficult snow with ease, but I finally stopped skiing them because I realized I was always absolutely beat at the end of a day of skiing on them. I have other skis that can give me most of the performance with less effort... and at the end of the day that's more fun overall.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
My favorite crud ski is the Nordica Girish, slight tip rocker, traditional camber through the tail, 25m tr. Damp and smooth, very nice.
I like a crud ski that knifes through crud rather one that rides up and over. It comes down to 'intent', I would rather ski fast making longer turns than 'noodle', for noodling I would want something lighter with a bit more rocker and maybe a touch wider.

QFT - One can only dream. Still look on eBay for those. Really regret getting rid of my pair.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica el capo is pulling crud duty today. They are killing it.

Sponsor

Staff online