• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Van Deer/Red Bull and WC Racing

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They [Red Bull] have ran their own course in Ski Cross. An invitational at the end of the season. Not sure they would get into something similar with alpine, SC alligns more with their ’adventure profile’ (in lack of a better word). Inresting move with Haugen. Legit tech skier but as pointed out, not a up coming.
Re F1 … I really want a ”Ski to Survive” on the alpine circus.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
since it is Red Bull money behind all this it does become more interesting. Look how they bought into F1…and this looks like chump change in comparison….

The RedBull, Van Deer “relationship is looking more and more interesting. Toni Giger is now at RedBull. Got it. Running their ski related business. Sort of get it, but it sounds like they must have bigger plans.

THEN, the latest press about his primary focus as the head of “Global Sports” at RedBull being to direct all of Hirschers ski projects and to push the Van Deer brand.

If this is accurate….and I assume it is…..it’s very, very interesting. I’m “all ears” as this all unfolds. All new to me.

You heard it here first.... ogsmile

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
So are they leaving because of pay or culture?
It's both. First of all these jobs are not all that well paid as someone might think, and with OSV it's even worse, because instead of money you get "honor to work for/with the best" so salaries can be worse. Expectations and all the shit you get when things go wrong are way higher then anywhere else in the world, which is not really big plus either. When things go right, servicemen are never noticed anyway.
But there's another thing which makes this transfers more difficult. Once you change job, you basically make it very vey hard to find new one, as in this business noone wants people who are changing jobs. It's not really rocket science thing, but many take it like it is, and with serviceman changing job, he takes all those rocket science secrets to competition. When he did it once, he will do it second time too, so companies (or teams) don't really like such guys.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Raposo has some fascinating comments on various race skis and conditions. His thoughts on the relative merits and feel of GS skis from Atomic, Rossi, and Augment/Van Deer, as well as a bit about Head parallel my own experiences.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If there is ANY question that Van Deer has money behind them and is taking this whole ski racing thing seriously, put those thoughts to rest immediately.

1663550446504.png

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
"Let's take 10 years of R&D, salary, performance payouts, and marketing funds and put it towards a DTM car for a season."
I doubt there will be Van Deer painted DTM car driving around DTM rings with skis on roof rack as part of competition, so it's just promo thing for upcoming DTM race on Red Bull ring in Spielberg, where you can win "taxi ride with Hirscher", I guess in this car. Considering Audi has car or two in DTM, and is still Hirscher's sponsor, and Red Bull owns whole thing, including race track, it's probably only 5 years of R&D, salary, performance payouts, and marketing funds not 10 :ogbiggrin:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Petrus

Putting on skis
Skier
My German is non existent, but I thank God for St Google Translate :)
From what I understand the issue was the RedBull logo on the skis, they probably want to avoid having the skis looking like a formula one covered in stickers from various sponsors.

WORLD CUP START IN SÖLDEN - HENRIK KRISTOFFERSEN: THAT'S WHY THE "VAN DEER" LOGO WAS PASTED OVER ON HIS SKIS
It was one of the big news of the summer in the Alpine Ski World Cup: Norway's superstar Henrik Kristoffersen switched skis to Marcel Hirscher's "Van Deer" brand. At the start of the season on Sunday in Sölden, all fans were correspondingly excited to see Kristoffersen's first World Cup outing with the new skis. But there was a surprise right away: Because the "Van Deer" logo was masked.

First use with "Van Deer" skis: Kristoffersen races onto the podium

This is probably not how Marcel Hirscher imagined the start of the season in Sölden from a marketing point of view: His former main rival Henrik Kristoffersen changes to his ski brand and then their logo is not visible at all on the first use.
But apparently "Van Deer" and their supporter Red Bull did not count on the FIS when designing the logo. Because the world association dislikes that not only the Van Deer symbol but also the Red Bull logo can be seen in the logo. According to the FIS guidelines, this is currently not allowed. The FIS therefore prohibited the use of the logo for the first race on the Rettenbachferner.
Hirscher's brand, which is officially called "Van Deer Red Bull Sports", has to wait for official approval from the FIS before it can present its logo on the skis of its athletes. Therefore, Kristoffersen had to compete with black stickers over the logo on Sunday.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was wondering what kind of time frame for a brand to be approved - According to the FIS Guidelines.
According to the FIS guidelines, this is currently not allowed. The FIS therefore prohibited the use of the logo for the first race on the Rettenbachferner.
Hirscher's brand, which is officially called "Van Deer Red Bull Sports", has to wait for official approval from the FIS before it can present its logo on the skis of its athletes. Therefore, Kristoffersen had to compete with black stickers over the logo on Sunday.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My German is non existent, but I thank God for St Google Translate :)
From what I understand the issue was the RedBull logo on the skis, they probably want to avoid having the skis looking like a formula one covered in stickers from various sponsors.

WORLD CUP START IN SÖLDEN - HENRIK KRISTOFFERSEN: THAT'S WHY THE "VAN DEER" LOGO WAS PASTED OVER ON HIS SKIS
It was one of the big news of the summer in the Alpine Ski World Cup: Norway's superstar Henrik Kristoffersen switched skis to Marcel Hirscher's "Van Deer" brand. At the start of the season on Sunday in Sölden, all fans were correspondingly excited to see Kristoffersen's first World Cup outing with the new skis. But there was a surprise right away: Because the "Van Deer" logo was masked.

First use with "Van Deer" skis: Kristoffersen races onto the podium

This is probably not how Marcel Hirscher imagined the start of the season in Sölden from a marketing point of view: His former main rival Henrik Kristoffersen changes to his ski brand and then their logo is not visible at all on the first use.
But apparently "Van Deer" and their supporter Red Bull did not count on the FIS when designing the logo. Because the world association dislikes that not only the Van Deer symbol but also the Red Bull logo can be seen in the logo. According to the FIS guidelines, this is currently not allowed. The FIS therefore prohibited the use of the logo for the first race on the Rettenbachferner.
Sounds like picking nits.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@James, just keep in mind that HK has had VERY little interaction with the Norwegian team, and he and his father have more often been at odds with the federation than not over the years.

The typical superstar team of one. Remember all of the fighting about his plans to use a RedBull helmet a few years ago?

Dunno about the new “material.” Seems like the old stuff was working last season. And I assume he has at least some of the same service staff.

But say “Norge killed it” and including HK in that bunch is a stretch to me. I’m not that clued in these days, maybe things have changed?

Regardless, good season start for him. For sure.

Each season I kind of wonder why the race takes place where it does, when it does…having been there a number of years. It has had staying power!

Last edited: