• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Charlie Woods ... A glimpse into the future?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is anyone watching the PNC Championship??? Charlie Woods looks incredible, the kid has game.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah there was some chatter on the radio about this. Basically, Charlie isn't rated that high in terms of his age group. Is there going to be too much pressure on him? I'm not sure where his head's at. But I'm not sure it's great for him to be in the spotlight like this so early. Having said that, I'm sure if ANYONE can see it, Tiger can see this kind of stuff you'd hope. Anyway, great to see the kids out having fun! :)

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
It was fun to see how similar Charlie's and Tiger's mannerisms are. And, lets hope John Daly can stick around for a while, but odds have to be against someone who appears to be the worst conditioned golfer on the tour.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It honestly looks like Charlie is playing for himself and not for Tiger's approval, that could be scary.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pressure almost destroyed his father, hope Charlie can manage things. Check out this story on comparing father and son golf swings:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At 12 years old, he could right now sign endorsements that would earn him more in the next week, than probably everyone that posts regularly on the site will make in their lifetime.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
What struck me the most is the star-power of Charlie's dad, Tiger. Usually, this event is a cute feel-good tournament, that changed big time last year when the Woods played. It was amazing to see how much they act and play, with Charlie mirroring his dad. My thinking is when Tiger began recovery from his accident, his first golf goal was to play in this event., and, damn he did it. The streak of birdies on Sunday was just amazing. The success of Team Woods greatly benefited by Charlie hitting very long drives from friendly Tee boxes, this played very well into Tiger's short game skills. Also, seeing Neely Korda just smile so much when she asked Tiger for a photo, she's the best player on the LPGA with Tiger for a idol.

Simply, I hope Charlie continues to grow to become a happy, responsible adult. His game is amazing, so, also, is the game of Hendrik Stenson's son Karl, they flew far under the radar. The odds do not favor Charlie duplicating Tiger's career. Let's hope he can handle all the attention. Damn, Charilie is fun to watch.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Charlie drained a whole bunch of 10-20 foot putts! Was Tiger limping pretty noticeably towards the end?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Charlie drained a whole bunch of 10-20 foot putts! Was Tiger limping pretty noticeably towards the end?
Charlie's poise was ice water, it was as if he expected to make every shot. That 169 yard par 3 where he put it on the short side of the green between the pin and the water???? Shot of the day for me.

Tiger was limping for sure.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Tiger was limping for sure.
Limping is to be expected, Tiger stated that he has not taken a single day off in his physical rehab. Doubt that he could have played if not for riding in a cart, same with John Daly (wow did his waist explode). Let's give Daly come credit, the man can play golf. That single minded Tiger focus will take him a long way to more complete recovery, and, normal walking stride. The pro's always talk about Augusta as very difficult to walk.
A memory of my knee replacement was how long it took to learn to walk without a limp. My concern always was limping is not good for your joints and back. With Tiger's back history, no surprise to see him in discomfort this weekend. If anybody can return, it's Tiger, but, the competition on the Tour may be overwhelming for his limited body. I would not bet on seeing him at the Masters, at least in 2022.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I agree, that leg injury will do some damage to his game, especially if he's (able to be) walking the course.

And Big John did win the British Open..he was (is?) a great golfer. I thought he had surprising touch around the green for someone who was known for bombing it..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Charlie out drives Tiger

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This kid will be fun to watch.
I'm betting Tiger is mentoring him to handle all of it well, and not to make some of the mistakes he made.

I can only imagine all the pressure Tiger felt and what he wants Charlie to experience.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The PNC Championship is coming up this weekend.
Interestingly this article says Charlie is good but even he is not the best at his HS.

Snip from article -
Charlie has all the tools — power, touch, club twirls, cheeky quips — but to give you an idea of the kind of competition he’s up against at his school, his 74.3 scoring average last season was bettered by four of his teammates and quite a way behind the 70.4 pace of the team leader.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The PNC Championship is coming up this weekend.
Interestingly this article says Charlie is good but even he is not the best at his HS.

Snip from article -
Charlie has all the tools — power, touch, club twirls, cheeky quips — but to give you an idea of the kind of competition he’s up against at his school, his 74.3 scoring average last season was bettered by four of his teammates and quite a way behind the 70.4 pace of the team leader.
Yes, but he in only 14 playing with kids 16, 17 and 18. He isn't near fully developed yet.

I know I will watch this weekend.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Charlie Woods is a good story, my fear for him is the expectation that he can compare to his Dad. Notah Begay, last month, conducted an event in Fl. where 14 & 15 year olds played. Charlie finished 13 strokes behind the leader. Junior golf in Fl. & So. Cal. is extremely competitive. I think he did 1 of Notah's other events in his age group. He has talent, his Dad was the USGA Jr. Open Champ twice....tough act to follow.
I'll be watching! Another good story is Annika is playing with her son!

Sponsor

Staff online