• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheap portable tuning table recommedation?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
need a recommendation- sold house, workbench in storage. Mostly used for wax on/wax off. Apartment has outside patio. I see the Swix ones on Amazon. Probably will use it at new place, but don’t really want “investment grade” at this point. Anyone using similar?

thanks

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I have a KUU ski tuning horse I no longer use (if you want a slightly used on DM me). Worked great for small spaces and easily slips in the trunk of the car for field use.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I work outside my apartment but I found it too hard to set up a portable table every time I needed to sharpen, especially when there was snow on the ground. It's better to improvise something that is always ready to use.

My first version was a Workmate, which I still occasionally use when I need to work on the bases:
ski bench.JPG

That works perfectly but it's too much set up time. This is the current set up, and it works way better than you think it does:
new bench.jpg

I find it too hard to hot wax in the cold months, but I sharpen almost every day. Having a permanent bench and the right tools is a game changer. Skip the spendy folding benches and the vises. That stuff is all just wasted motion. With the money you save get a few good quality, simple tools, or maybe a rotobrush if liquid wax isn't good enough for you.

dm

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Dave Marshak - have everything I need just no bench, or ability/inclination to pull tools out to make one.

@EricG - thanks - saw that one too - I’ll DM you tonight. Assume my Toko vises will clamp onto it?

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought this. Sturdier than the lower cost ski specific benches and works well for what I need.

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the Swix table you referenced and have used it for many years as a travel bench. It’s relatively light and easy to travel with. I do find it a little wobbly but for travel and the waxing you described (and the price) it’s not too bad.
CCAF2A5A-18A5-4DA2-9223-7E6A4063A0F0.jpeg
75B9904C-2E63-42C7-BFA5-C5AE467291C1.jpeg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This year I upgraded to the more “investment grade” Holmenkol version and it’s a LOT more sturdy, stable, heavy, heavy duty.
View attachment 184520
yup, the Holmenkol bench is hard to beat BUT it is heavy for travel. the Swix one is better for that. I have also used my holmenkol one with a 6'x3' sheet of 3/4 ply mounted on top of it to give more real estate...

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
putting some weight on the leg cross braces will probably fix that.

On that Swix table, I usually will put my foot on the leg crossbar to stabilize it. If it is set up against the wall, a light hip check will get it to behave.

Last season, I forgot to throw that table into the van in the hurry to get out of town. Bought a piece of 12" x 48" melamine shelving on the drive to Taos. Screwed that to an adjustable folding saw horse from Amazon. That combo worked well as my bench for the entire road trip. Much better than the Swix table. Will be getting on the road with that this season.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Bought a piece of 12" x 48" melamine shelving... Screwed that to an adjustable folding saw horse from Amazon. That combo worked well as my bench... Much better than the Swix table.
You can almost always find a bench that's cheaper and works as well or better than the stuff you find in ski shops. That goes double for files and abrasives and other tools that have more uses than simply ski tuning.

Those Swix folding benches are for wax techs that need to look professional at races. Otherwise they're way too pricey.

dm

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
You can make this. I bought it, however. Apparently the legs are commercially and easily available. Slap a stair tread or whatever on top. I'd call it "luggable" more than portable. There's a hand slot in the wood top.
IMG_20171130_153958~2.jpg

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
The OP wants to work outdoors. I've been doing that for 10 years and the worst thing about it is setting up a portable table when it's cold or there's snow on the ground. What you need is a permanent bench that can stay out in the weather all winter. A heavy picnic table is perfect. You can't leave vises outside but I've found that I can do anything I need to do except flatten the base without a vise. You can bring the vises out for the few time you need to flatten, but flattenning has always been a shop job for me anyway. YMMV.

Working outside on a permanent bench is the best way to go. IT solves the ventilation problem, doesn't require a lot of set up before or clean up after, and keeps the housekeeping supervisor happy. Even when it's cold it's way more pleasant than the basement. I'm never going back to ski tuning indoors.

dm

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter