• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cheap Used Rossi Squad 7 touring set-up -- did I screw up?

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Decided to pick up some touring gear to enjoy skinning about local resorts as they are closed quite often. I'm avalanche savvy, toured a splitboard literally to (its) death. But since skiing I've only toured a little.

Saw the following set up for sale and bought for $300, all in nearly new condition:

2015 Rossignol Squad 7, 190cm, the black and blue ones
Marker Baron AT bindings
Black Diamond skins cut to fit

I don't really care about heavy - I'm not looking for fast skinning or marathon days, more like slog up 2-3k vf with my dogs, ski back to lot. But I'm thinking I should have picked a more versatile ski? The skis looked/felt pretty stout, but maybe a bad pick for a wide all-arounder that will see a lot of spring corn?

clone.jpg

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
*shrug* there's some storms coming in, you should know fairly soon, no?

*waiting for pics*
yeah true, just a bit of buyers remorse, leapt at the good deal a bit without considering enough if the skis are the right choice for me.

All in really top shape though so that's good

James

Out There
Instructor
Just think of them as 187’s measured differently.

James

Out There
Instructor
186, I was wrong.

I mean it’s a 120 ski. Don’t worry about it, it’s a lark.
Where did they mount it?
Read this-

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
186, I was wrong.

I mean it’s a 120 ski. Don’t worry about it, it’s a lark.
Where did they mount it?
Read this-
Mounted -2 from the all mountain mark, same BSL that I have. And yeah, a lark, definitely cheap enough to churn through the quiver w/o much it any impact. Thanks

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
With as much early taper in both ends, and likely rocker to match, you’ll be fine.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Perfect skis and price for intro touring. Get out and skin up and ski. Work on transitions, dealing with skins, traversing, etc. Lots of snow at our local PNW ski areas and corn snow on groomers are the perfect setting for learning how to dial-in your new kit. Remember you marry your boots, but date your skis. These skis will allow you to decide if you like touring and help determine future touring skis and tours. Early winter, 2022, take an AIARE level 1 class. Have fun.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thank Charlier! I've tourer at least 100 times on a splitboard, but quit 13 years ago when my splitboard literally wearing out coincided with my wife being pregnant. Spate of deaths around that time and I decided to stop pressing my luck, hang it up for anything not avy controlled side-country.

But touring on skis is new and interesting.

The Squad 7's: I've never been on Rossi 7 series skis before , but can understand why so many people like them. I did a couple of slushy lift laps at Alpental with the Squad 7's. Far too wide for the conditions, and not a ski that likes engaging an edge even given their fat width. It is, however, a very, very easy ski to control given its width and weight. it doesn't really like you to pressure the tips, rather stand square on the skis and tip them smoothly into pivoting turns. The skis come around easily, and then the back half of them engages just enough to point you in a safe feeling flow, and then easily to the other side, back and forth. My shoulders pointed straight downhill the whole time, and I went remarkably slow for being totally downhill focused cutting little turns smoothly back and forth. These skis don't really like to charge, but they aren't wiggle-noodles either. They easy-slarve back and forth on their tails, feeling safe and in control while not getting sloppy or too sideways.

In the 120 width these are essentially full on powder skis - there's nothing that recommends them off soft snow. I've been on several similarly wide skis that edged much harder. But I think they will be fun and easy pow boards if not skis that arc big turns. Guess I'll need to wait until next season to find out.

I can though see why the narrower Soul 7's are so popular, such a damn easy shape to ski straight down the fall line while never feeling too fast or out of control. I'm sure they put in an edge a little better making them ski better all around. Not for me, but I understand now why my wife likes hers more than any other ski.

Reactions: BMC

Sponsor

Staff online