• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Check out Skitalk.com's YouTube Channel!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One day while proof/watching a video before uploading it, Phil was listening to it at a faster speed. I asked, "What would it sound like if you slowed it down?"
Phil tried it and I said,"You sound drunk."
FF>> a few months later and we decided to take some of our real reviews and create "drunk ski reviews"

Enjoy!
I'm not proofing the YouTube auto closed caption on this one!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Next step? Actually get drunk first. :D
@skibob will appreciate this.

So yesterday afternoon at my local market a wine distributor's rep had a tasting table set up. I'm tasting through the lineup (and spitting). Young guy is there swirling a glass and chatting up the rep. (She was very much worth chatting up.) He looks very familiar. "Don't you work here?" "Yes," he says. "What's your name again?" "Andrew." Apologetically he says, "I had to take my name tag off because I'm drinking." (Emphasis mine.)

I'm standing there gobsmacked because this is one of the stupidest things I'd ever heard. I mean yes, I get it. In our litigious and humorless society everything is about covering your ass. But I will go miles out of my way to buy from someone who actually knows something. From my perspective I'd think the store would want to be putting its logo all over the the kid to demonstrate that they're encouraging their wine people to be engaged with the substance of their trade, and constantly be learning. Instead they're covering their light with a bushel basket.

The point is that if you're going to do something, do it with real expertise and first hand knowledge. So yes, get drink first.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

So yesterday afternoon at my local market a wine distributor's rep had a tasting table set up. I'm tasting through the lineup (and spitting). Young guy is there swirling a glass and chatting up the rep. (She was very much worth chatting up.) He looks very familiar. "Don't you work here?" "Yes," he says. "What's your name again?" "Andrew." Apologetically he says, "I had to take my name tag off because I'm drinking." (Emphasis mine.)

I'm standing there gobsmacked because this is one of the stupidest things I'd ever heard. I mean yes, I get it. In our litigious and humorless society everything is about covering your ass. But I will go miles out of my way to buy from someone who actually knows something. From my perspective I'd think the store would want to be putting its logo all over the the kid to demonstrate that they're encouraging their wine people to be engaged with the substance of their trade, and constantly be learning. Instead they're covering their light with a bushel basket.

The point is that if you're going to do something, do it with real expertise and first hand knowledge. So yes, get drink first.
I wouldn't think it has anything to do with litigiousness or CYA. My guess is that they are more concerned with customers thinking someone that's supposed to be working is slacking off and drinking wine. When presumably he had actually finished his shift or was on a break (though I'd be surprised if he was allowed to drink - even just a tasting - on a break). It's also possible he was slacking off and hoping no one would notice that he should be working when he wasn't wearing a nametag. :P

At some grocery stores (Whole Foods here in particular) I've seen a group of employees that work in the wine shop area going through a tasting together. They do tend to have a knowledgeable staff at that one.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
slacking off and drinking wine
Well that's my whole point. Job number one for someone in that position is to take advantage of opportunities to drink wine - especially wines that your store is trying to sell. That's not slacking; that's the work.

Obviously there are many other responsibilities too, and you can't carry them out while you're tasting. But IME the opportunities to take inventory and all the other grunt work are abundant while opportunities to taste on someone else's dime are rare.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not proofing the YouTube auto closed caption on this one!
It would be fun to post the YT original closed caption.
Just looked and its actually not bad.

[Music] what is new for this year though is they went to 3D radius on the skate which is published as a 16 meter radius but that is in the center part of the ski we have a longer radius up front here of the 30 meter 16 in the center and a 24 here in the tail and that is in the reference 177 centimeter

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One day while proof/watching a video before uploading it, Phil was listening to it at a faster speed. I asked, "What would it sound like if you slowed it down?"
Phil tried it and I said,"You sound drunk."
FF>> a few months later and we decided to take some of our real reviews and create "drunk ski reviews"

Enjoy!
We couldn't tell what was going and didn't finish the video:huh: I just thought it was odd.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We hit 1000 subscribers this past week.
Check out our fun video thanking the subscribers.

More content is being loaded regularly, so check it out.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

While I get your point, many companies have hard rules about drinking while on the job. My son has a part-time job with a local beer brewery where he is an ambassador who conducts tastings away from the brewery. He is not allowed to drink, most times he drives a Company van to and from the event. 2 or 3 drinks can often show in a negative manner, they are there for a few hours.. What is important is to listen to what a knowledgeable presenter says, sober is better.
That said, I share some wine with you any time!
We hit 1000 subscribers this past week.
Check out our fun video thanking the subscribers.

More content is being loaded regularly, so check it out.
You now have 1001!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January