• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choosing between Lange rs 130 wide or narrow

hopeful278

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
First some context, ex racer for about 4 years, not really world cup material but would call myself expert on piste. Looking to buy some new ski boots before i leave for italy in january.
No way to find the Lange RS 130 boots i'm looking for in store (i live in romania) so only option is online. Pretty confident about the actual boot size (43 EU-28/28.5 mondo) but have no idea if i should go for narrow (97mm) or wide (100mm). The main reason i would go for wide is honestly durability, from the reviews i saw of the 97mm it has solid plastic sole and no way to replace it, from experience i think they would get worn out in a year or two. The 100mm has replaceable soles (tell me if i'm wrong though) and that is pretty much the only selling point for the wide (for me). Obviously 97mm performance wide is better (again i say "obviously" but never skied them). As for preference, honestly don't care if the boot is uncomfortable, i can suck it up. Does anybody have any experience with the Lange RS 130 97mm sole durability? Anything else i should know? Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
remember the 97mm sizing is based on a 26.5, so once you get up to yout 28.5, it si very well over 100mm in the forefoot. Aslo, it is easier to get room in a boot than it is to take up so unleess you are feeling crammed in the regular RX, I woudl say to go with that.

You can add replacement soles to the regular RX. One example:
img_6285-jpeg.149203

Unless you are lucky enough to score the Lange XR9 Heritage boot, that is an RS with replaceable soles.
F9E9FA7C-6986-4FAB-8EB2-A6713E158CED.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should look at an atomic redster club sport. I switched from rs to C's and very happy. Always go for the narrow boot and heat mold if you need room. You can get after market soles if you need to. I skied the rs140 for ten years and the soles did not wear out. The shell plastic cracked, however

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
So the RS from the past two years has a different shape and liner than from a few years ago. I was in a 2014 RS130 and it took three trips to the fitter to get it right. I needed the ankle and the forefoot bumped a bit and then it was like a glove.
My 2020 RS130 was simply perfect right out of the box. I’ve had zero mods done, it just works and I’m faster in them.

I’d be looking at finding some rx120lv or rx130lv boots. They fit and feel just like the RS with the narrower last, but you can replace the heel and toe. I have a pair for non-race days and they feel just about identical to the RS.

if you go with the LV, plan on some potential fitting. If you have a high instep, I’d skip them all together.

What boot are you in now? And your sizing is way off. I’m 45/46 EU (11.5 to 12 American) and am in 28.5. My guess is you need to be minimum one mondo size smaller, but most likely a 26.5.

Last edited:

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Pretty confident about the actual boot size (43 EU-28/28.5 mondo)
If that is your foot size, then you will be buying the wrong boot- guaranteed.

Mondopoint = centimeter length of your foot. Do not use your shoe size. If you can't get to a boot-fitter, start there.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does anybody have any experience with the Lange RS 130 97mm sole durability?
I don't have experience with this particular boot, but Rossi Hero World Cup in ZC and ZE stiffness are at least sort of similar. Yeah boots are not for walking around, but if you take a bit care, and use cat tracks after you step out of skis, you won't have any issues. My soles are like brand new on the end of the season, so I wouldn't really worry about that. With Rossi noone is using lifters, so not really easy to get them myself when all their boot service guys don't have with them, but if you go normal service, lifters can be one option to solve such issues and prolong boot life, if that's what worries you.
PS: As for sizing goes.... my running running, cycling or xc skiing shoes are 43- 43.5, but for race ski boots I have 26.5 (for ski touring I use 27). So if your shoes are 43 then 28/28.5 is definitely way too big.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
If your only concern is the wear of the sole, you can consider this,

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
If that is your foot size, then you will be buying the wrong boot- guaranteed.

Mondopoint = centimeter length of your foot. Do not use your shoe size. If you can't get to a boot-fitter, start there.

^^^^^ this, the correct size is the starting point

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
LOL, if they start the process by asking the question "What size shoe do you wear?", turn around and walk out.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
First some context, ex racer for about 4 years, not really world cup material but would call myself expert on piste. Looking to buy some new ski boots before i leave for italy in january.
No way to find the Lange RS 130 boots i'm looking for in store (i live in romania) so only option is online. Pretty confident about the actual boot size (43 EU-28/28.5 mondo) but have no idea if i should go for narrow (97mm) or wide (100mm). The main reason i would go for wide is honestly durability, from the reviews i saw of the 97mm it has solid plastic sole and no way to replace it, from experience i think they would get worn out in a year or two. The 100mm has replaceable soles (tell me if i'm wrong though) and that is pretty much the only selling point for the wide (for me). Obviously 97mm performance wide is better (again i say "obviously" but never skied them). As for preference, honestly don't care if the boot is uncomfortable, i can suck it up. Does anybody have any experience with the Lange RS 130 97mm sole durability? Anything else i should know? Thanks.

Fit
I am on a pair of the RS130's LV 27.5. The 97mm fit is generous. I measure 100/101 and not an issue whatsoever. Previous other makes 98mm (Tecnica and Nordica) has to have the styloid area pushed/ground. I have yet to touch the lower clog. I basically put my foot in and went skiing. I bought a 2rd pair EOS 2021 and they are in the garage for when these are dead. I have a large instep parameter (I cant wear Blundstone boots) and these are totally fine <- yes, I am in the correct size.

Soles
They are solid - which I consider a good thing. I had some sole canting work done anyway so they have a solid plate on the bottom, which is replaceable, but slick on ice. <- also pretty inexpensive and available. So, I wear cattracks around the base and just throw them on a rack when I go to ski. <- if somebody feels the need to steal my cattracks, well they have some issues. I am not putting them in my pocket all wet and muddy.

as @Philpug indicated above - you can get other rubber soles put on too. I have a set from Nordica that will go on when these solid ones wear out. One piece of advice - if you do go with RS's - do the soles from the start, they typically wont plane them with any wear.

Good luck - your bootfitter should be able to sort this for you first day.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
What boots were you in when you were racing?

Personally, I prefer non-race boots when I'm not racing. I don't need to care about SkiTrax or Cat Tracks or what happens to them. Canting soles by planing sounds neat, but for just free skiing, it's typically not needed unless you have some really goofy alignment issues to overcome. The grip is a little better on non-race boots on hard surfaces and hiking up boot packs for fun terrain.

You are likely better off lining up a fitting for the first day of your trip instead of shooting from the hip and ending up with the wrong boot.

Sponsor