• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Choosing new skis for an intermediate in Tahoe?

bob78h

Booting up
Skier
I'm looking for some new skis to replace my Rossi Sky 7 HDs (98 underfoot). My favorite qualities about the Sky 7 are the light weight and easy to turn, but the edge hold is lacking on hardpack and they seem to get tossed around a lot in crud.

I ski mostly Tahoe (Palisades) with a yearly trip to Alta. Comfortable on blues and most groomed blacks. I struggle with bumps/variable snow so this is an area I'd like to improve, and I'd also like to advance into more off-piste, powder, and tree skiing next season. I ski pretty cautiously, so I tend to prefer turning more and keeping the speed in check. 5'9 165lb if that matters.

I'm looking for something that will be fun to ski at my current level and also not hold me back from improving. Primarily looking for all mountain/1 ski quiver for now, and maybe add a second narrower carving ski in the future.

Some of this skis I'm considering:
Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Salmon QST 98/106
Nordica Enforcer (from reviews, I'm worried this might be too stiff/demanding for my skill level)

Anything other skis you guys would recommend checking out?

I demoed the Rustler 10 last weekend and immediately felt the difference in stability and edge hold. However, I also felt they were kind of awkward to ski at first (I kept catching the tails on each other) and a little hard to turn. I'm guessing this is due to them being wider and heavier than my Sky 7s? I wonder if this is something I'll get used to after a few more days.

Also, for those of you who ski in Tahoe, how wide are you going for your daily drivers? It seems like the low 100 width is very popular (for example, I see a ton of Ruster 10s but not very many 9s, in fact the demo shop didn't even offer the 9). I read that going wider helps with crud and the heavier snow we tend to get, but the tradeoff is slower to turn and may promote bad habits. So if I go with the Rustler, I'm not sure if I should get the 10 (102 width) or the new 9 (96 width).

Thanks for your help!

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I personally wouldn't opt for a 100+ waisted ski as 1 ski quiver, even if I was fortunate to still live within driving distance of Tahoe.

If you really are heading towards a 2 ski quiver then why not buy the narrower ski now, say something under 85 underfoot, and replace your wider Sky 7 later?

TS
B

bob78h

Booting up
Skier
I personally wouldn't opt for a 100+ waisted ski as 1 ski quiver, even if I was fortunate to still live within driving distance of Tahoe.

If you really are heading towards a 2 ski quiver then why not buy the narrower ski now, say something under 85 underfoot, and replace your wider Sky 7 later?

I'm not 100% sure if I will do a 2 ski quiver, so I was thinking of getting more of an all mountain ski first and then adding the narrower ski later if I decide its still something I want.

What width would you recommend for an all mountain ski in Tahoe?

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I find the Rustlers (the current ones) to be quite light and bouncy too. Although not as much as the Sy 7. So it is an upgrade in that sense, but I'm not sure if it's enough of an upgrade.

The Neforcers go the other way: quite heavy and serious. No more playfulness. The word 'burly' is on the tip of my tongue.

The QSTs are very much soft snow skis nowadays, by no means 'all-mountain'.

My suggestion in that 95-100 mm width category: is the 2023 K2 Mindbesnder 99 TI (not the older ones, they are a bit clunky) or the Fischer Ranger 96 (also the 2023 model, not an older one). Both are very all-round, great in soft snow and on hardpack too.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm looking for some new skis to replace my Rossi Sky 7 HDs (98 underfoot). My favorite qualities about the Sky 7 are the light weight and easy to turn, but the edge hold is lacking on hardpack and they seem to get tossed around a lot in crud.

I ski mostly Tahoe (Palisades) with a yearly trip to Alta. Comfortable on blues and most groomed blacks. I struggle with bumps/variable snow so this is an area I'd like to improve, and I'd also like to advance into more off-piste, powder, and tree skiing next season. I ski pretty cautiously, so I tend to prefer turning more and keeping the speed in check. 5'9 165lb if that matters.

I'm looking for something that will be fun to ski at my current level and also not hold me back from improving. Primarily looking for all mountain/1 ski quiver for now, and maybe add a second narrower carving ski in the future.

Some of this skis I'm considering:
Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Salmon QST 98/106
Nordica Enforcer (from reviews, I'm worried this might be too stiff/demanding for my skill level)

Anything other skis you guys would recommend checking out?

I demoed the Rustler 10 last weekend and immediately felt the difference in stability and edge hold. However, I also felt they were kind of awkward to ski at first (I kept catching the tails on each other) and a little hard to turn. I'm guessing this is due to them being wider and heavier than my Sky 7s? I wonder if this is something I'll get used to after a few more days...

Thanks for your help!

Hanging up the tails could be ski tune, but most likely it's you. Recommendations? Rustler 9 (23-24 version, it's worth it! Cool, fun ski with good edge grip!) and some coaching to build skills. Have your boot fit evaluated too.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I echo @Cheizz on the Ranger 96 and toss in the Salomon Stsnce 96 as another good option, very versatile 1SQ that could grow with you.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
A narrower ski (mid 80s or less), and lessons, will help you become a better skier. It will help you build true capacity. A wider ski will only help you build compensation.

Ask yourself what you want out of skiing. Do you want to truly develop into a proficient, technically sound skier? Or do you only want to think that you are a proficient skier?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tahoe gets 4 feet of snow then 4 weeks of sun. I's stay in the 90-100mm range at the most. Plus the fact that you are not that big of a guy.
echo @Cheizz on the Ranger 96 and toss in the Salomon Stsnce 96 as another good option, very versatile 1SQ that could grow with you.
I like the Ranger 96 a lot here too, especially in the 173, not so much the current Stance 96, but the '24 is a better option with the new construction.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You should also look at Volk Deacons and Salomon Stance. Probably between 90 and 100 mm (inclusive), as a one ski quiver with decent hard snow performance, and capable soft snow off piste performance to go along with it.

I tried the stance 90 on hard snow groomers, so can't say anything about the soft snow performance. I found the stance 90 not lacking anything on hard (as in sledge hammer or drill required to plant a ski pole in so it won't fall over) snow, other than a resistance to being tipped to a high edge angle (even the unweighted little toe edge of the inside ski), to be expected for 90 mm ski. I found the 79 mm wide Deacon good on hard snow, not as eager to hook into a turn as a carving ski, but not lacking that much grip. The 80 mm Deacon has more grip and much more stability at speed, but at 80 mm, not nearly as easy as any mid 90s ski that I have had in deep snow.

gratedwasabi

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Qst 98 is a fantastic ski. They are very playful but can get on edge and still hold up very well in firm conditions. They are easier to turn than the Rustler 10.

TS
B

bob78h

Booting up
Skier
Hanging up the tails could be ski tune, but most likely it's you. Recommendations? Rustler 9 (23-24 version, it's worth it! Cool, fun ski with good edge grip!) and some coaching to build skills. Have your boot fit evaluated too.

Definitely me and not the skis haha, I felt better after widening my stance a little. Rustler 9 is top of list and will definitely be looking into some lessons to improve my skills. Good call on the boots, I am also considering new boots for next season. Mine are a good fit but I think they may be too stiff for my current skill level. The shop put in me in Lange 130s, even with a bolt removed to soften them I feel like it is hard to flex them and stay out of the backseat, especially when things get bumpy.

The new Rustlers for 2024 have much less tip chatter, and the new Rustler 9 is 96cm wide IIRC. Elan Ripstick (96 or 106) are also good contenders.

I'm definitely considering the 2024 Rustler 9! Seems to be a lot of what I'm looking for. I see it mostly recommended online as an east coast all mountain ski, so I just wasn't sure if it would be too narrow for the amount of snow we get in Tahoe. Sounds like mid 90s is what I should be looking for anyway though.

A narrower ski (mid 80s or less), and lessons, will help you become a better skier. It will help you build true capacity. A wider ski will only help you build compensation.

Ask yourself what you want out of skiing. Do you want to truly develop into a proficient, technically sound skier? Or do you only want to think that you are a proficient skier?

I am planning to take some more lessons for sure. My concern with going <mid 80s is that the ski might be too narrow to explore the mountain outside of groomers. Would a mid 90s width be too wide to build good technique?

Tahoe gets 4 feet of snow then 4 weeks of sun. I's stay in the 90-100mm range at the most. Plus the fact that you are not that big of a guy.

I like the Ranger 96 a lot here too, especially in the 173, not so much the current Stance 96, but the '24 is a better option with the new construction.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Ranger 96! I think I'm feeling the peer pressure where it seems like a lot of people I know are running 100+, but you are right. Realistically, we only get those big powder days every few weeks and it gets skied out so fast, so a mid 90s ski probably makes sense for a daily driver.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I am planning to take some more lessons for sure. My concern with going <mid 80s is that the ski might be too narrow to explore the mountain outside of groomers. Would a mid 90s width be too wide to build good technique?

The short answer - yes. A wide ski is a crutch. Check out Ron Kipp’s video on this. The money quote, “Wide skis are no good if you want to become an expert skier. Not a poser, but a real expert.”

I have been passed by US Nordic Team athletes and coaches while skate skiing. They are on a ski 42 underfoot, catching air off of the berm that the groomer left, in order to pass me, shredding a foot or two of powder on a downhill, and then catching air back into the skate lane.

If you want accurate feedback, book that lesson. Ask your instructor what you should be on to truly move your skill level up. Watch lead instructors and trainers (and you have a few PSIA D-Team people in your neighborhood). See what they are on. Look up Robin Barnes for a superb lesson experience. She is mostly doing admin work now, but may fit a lesson in.

Enjoy.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, 12 seasons ago starting in PSIA, my daily ski was 98 underfoot., as I've improved my skiing, my daily driver's gotten considerably narrower. Most days on and off piste are on either a 68 or 78mm ski. Occasionally a 93 or 99 come out to play in significant new snow.

I have one pair of skis mounted teley, an 88.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For Tahoe, my choice for a DD would be <94. As Philpug mentioned above the number of powdery days is limited (this year is admittedly a bit different). Once everything gets groomed or skier packed a wide 100+ ski isn't really necessary. Rossi Sender 94Ti is solid as a cruiser and off piste. There are several in the 85-90 range that would answer the call: Rossi Experience 86Ti, Elan Wingman 86CTi, Völkl Kendo 88, Blizzard Brahma 88, Blossom AM85. All with different characteristics depending on what you're looking for. Yes, there are days when a 100+ is the ticket but for the majority of days in the Tahoe area are easily handled by a narrower ski. IMHO.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
I second (or third) going under 90 mm. Sounds like you are at where I was a few years ago as a solid intermediate. I've been on 84s and then 88s since I got back into the sport 7 years ago. I only recently got 106mm skis after I moved into being an advanced skier and found myself needing more float in all the fun stuff off-piste after 6" + of fresh. I got really lucky this year and have been able to ski on them more than I expected, but I would have never used them last year. Last season, I skied my Rossi Experience 88tis in Tahoe and Park City and never need anything wider given how weird/bad the snow was after that one dump in December. I've found that width to be great for groomers and moguls with a little bit of tree skiing when its soft but not deep. Keep your Skys for the light pow days. If you are worried about the Enforcers, then skip the Kendos and the Brahmas. Since you are on the lighter side I'd check out the Rossi Experience 86ti, Elan Wingman 86 CTis or the Ripstick 88s (if you want a little float and more off-piste bias, and go longer, i.e. 180cm for stability since they measure out ~1.5mm short). Any of those skis will be good for 88% of the time skiing in Tahoe IMHO.

Last edited:

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
The money quote, “Wide skis are no good if you want to become an expert skier. Not a poser, but a real expert.”
The other quote the I like is, "would you use a ping pong paddle to play tennis?" Ron Kipp would have been oblivious to how popular playing ping pong (pickleball---did I need to spell that out?) on tennis courts would actually become the years ago when he made that vid. The analogy holds though.

Brad

Booting up
Skier
The short answer - yes. A wide ski is a crutch. Check out Ron Kipp’s video on this. The money quote, “Wide skis are no good if you want to become an expert skier. Not a poser, but a real expert.”

I have been passed by US Nordic Team athletes and coaches while skate skiing. They are on a ski 42 underfoot, catching air off of the berm that the groomer left, in order to pass me, shredding a foot or two of powder on a downhill, and then catching air back into the skate lane.

If you want accurate feedback, book that lesson. Ask your instructor what you should be on to truly move your skill level up. Watch lead instructors and trainers (and you have a few PSIA D-Team people in your neighborhood). See what they are on. Look up Robin Barnes for a superb lesson experience. She is mostly doing admin work now, but may fit a lesson in.

Enjoy.

Sounds like a lot of gatekeeping to me. Skiing is fun and not everyone cares about being an expert so much as they care about having the best time on the mountain that they can possibly have skiing the conditions they love to ski. In addition "expert" is quite subjective when it comes to skiing as there are many different types of skiing. If you're talking about becoming an "expert" racer then sure narrow is the way to go, but what about expert freestyle, freeride, and park skiing? That same narrow and heavy ski just isn't going to be up to par with "expert" skiers who are skiing on the right tool for the right location and application (unless that expert skier is racing on-pise).

My advice is to pick a ski for the conditions you love skiing the most which often means owning multiple skis in different widths and styles but starting with a width that you can have fun on during low snow days up to 4".