• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Chris Davenport Joins Peak Skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
peak-skis-chris-davenport-bode-miller-skitalk-pugliese-jpg.jpeg

This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Chris Davenport joins Peak Skis. Please add to the discussion here.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I guess Danevport's Kastle gig was over with the new ownership. I imagine Bode and Davenport have very strong opinions on what a ski should look like and ski like, so it will be interesting to see how those visions combine or clash. But this is definitely a powerful endorsement for the brand. Does it make the ski better? Not necessarily. Kastle was a Kastle because of the materials and build that went into the skis, not the name that is written on the ski tail. Time will tell.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
It's a good move because Dav fills a lot of weaknesses with Bode. He's been there before with the relaunch of Kastle NA, he puts out personal content and he obviously has a track record as an athlete/investor of sticking with a brand. Probably a good test of whether Bode plays well with others too.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just one thing, the next person Peak need to employ is SVP of Proofreading ;)

"Recently SCARPA announced that Bode Miller joined Chris as part of their new high-performance SCARPA 4-Quattro boot."

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess Danevport's Kastle gig was over with the new ownership. I imagine Bode and Davenport have very strong opinions on what a ski should look like and ski like, so it will be interesting to see how those visions combine or clash. But this is definitely a powerful endorsement for the brand. Does it make the ski better? Not necessarily. Kastle was a Kastle because of the materials and build that went into the skis, not the name that is written on the ski tail. Time will tell.
Hopefully we'll get you on this this winter.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He stayed on as an athlete for a few more years then their contract ended leaving him as a free agent. As shocked as I was when I heard about this a few weeks ago, the more I thought about it, the more it makes sense. I think it is a great opportunity for Chris to keep his fingers in the development side and it gives Peak another level of credibility, viability and stablity as a company and that isn't just a whim venture for Bode as some have assumed.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
He kept his Kästle shares after the takeover, assuming he hasn’t sold them in the meantime he owns 0.4% of Kastle.

The big news for me is the appointment of Darrin Haugen formally K2’s senior global product director for ski products as Peak’s vice president of innovation, design & production as he will be doing the heavy lifting.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
These moves are interesting. To me it adds a lot more credibility. While it's not easy starting a new ski brand, and success is by no means a given, I feel like okay, game on, these guys are making a serious go of this venture. There seems to be much more "heft" this time around versus other attempts Bode participated in.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The big news for me is the appointment of Darrin Haugen formally K2’s senior global product director for ski products as Peak’s vice president of innovation, design & production as he will be doing the heavy lifting.
As I said, they are putting together an all-star line up for sure.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These moves are interesting. To me it adds a lot more credibility. While it's not easy starting a new ski brand, and success is by no means a given, I feel like okay, game on, these guys are making a serious go of this venture. There seems to be much more "heft" this time around versus other attempts Bode participated in.
In a deeper, behind the scenes conversation with Bode he said that he had hoped to have more hands on influence with the previous brands he was with which didn't happen and he wasn't really able to do what he'd hoped. He emphasized that this is it for him because he's finally able to build the skis he wants to build.

Dav lent me a pair of Peak 98s to try here in Portillo last week, they skied pretty well! He's stoked on the new deal and says he will be doing a separate touring line.
Chris said that he had gotten several people on the skis while he was in Portillo and was super excited to get the feedback that he got.

For those of you who want to watch sections of the video without watching the whole thing at one time, (it is 46 minutes long) there are chapters with the descriptions in the description so you can zoom to the part you want to read about.
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 7.52.52 AM.png

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is a virtual video depicting Peak's new showroom ...

We look forward being there at the grand opening next week!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
^ Have to say I don't really get it - you're a DTC brand but then you spend what is presumably not a negligible amount of money on something that looks a bit like a retail store except with not much in it? Why is anyone goining to travel more than a block or so to go to the showroom? Just so they can lust over skis mounted to displays and buy a hoodie? It works I guess as a event space but then you need to be having regular events.

Is it walk in in a high footfall area like the Icelantic "gallery"?

Guess it will become clear when they open.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sales people are going to repeat themselves alot. Could be a long day.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a virtual video depicting Peak's new showroom ...

We look forward being there at the grand opening next week!
I like the knife counter. Interesting in a ski shop.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Is it also wrong that the hybrid of clubhousey look and computer rendering brought back flashbacks of this?

Warning - not for those of sensitive disposition/fans of quality acting etc

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't really follow the industry, but this caught my eye because I read an interview with Chris once.

My favorite line was when he said that he always tried to ski like he had a firecracker in his pants when he was being filmed. :geek: :thumb: