• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ChunderBlunder Update

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He’s really looking and doing great. He’ll be headed to Florida’s Eglin AFB next week for his primary school.
I was just thinking that when he comes back to skiing he's going to be really strong!

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just thinking that when he comes back to skiing he's going to be really strong!
He’s going to be a beast, already is. He’s also going to do everything in his power to get on the mountain next winter.

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
Congrats, well done!

So I think this is an opportunity for me to bring up publicly a topic of après conversation:
what comes to mind for you given the phrase "chunder blunder?"

Don't want to lead the audience too much, but I'll just say my first thought was not what @ChunderBlunder & @PisteOff had in mind...

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats, well done!

So I think this is an opportunity for me to bring up publicly a topic of après conversation:
what comes to mind for you given the phrase "chunder blunder?"

Don't want to lead the audience too much, but I'll just say my first thought was not what @ChunderBlunder & @PisteOff had in mind...
When we first started skiing out west our greatest obstacle was learning to manage 3D snow, heavy chop and chunder. You don’t experience that in SE MI. Kevin was always getting knocked into the backseat and he’d ultimately eat it. It still provides its challenges. That was his blunder. It came from there. At least that’s how I remember it.

Why? What comes to your mind? :geek: You can always DM…….

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier

1:21 - Where beer does flow and men chunder

(a different kind of blunder)

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good thing you didn't try to lead us there...we still would have gotten lost.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
There is another ski forum where a sometime member achieved a certain notoriety for throwing up into the hood of someone else's ski jacket following significant consumption of après beverages.

That would be a true chunder blunder.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I haven’t kept up with this thread for awhile. Here’s a picture he sent us this evening. He just graduated EOD Prelim. He’s put on 35lbs of muscle. He said he’s deadlifting 350. I’ll post some more pics soon.
View attachment 202629
Your son is looking great! But I really like that retro Led Zeppelin t-shirt...

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And so begins an amazing journey of learning, training, high stakes, high pressure scenarios that require grueling and elite physical and mental toughness. The SWCC course prior to this has already taught him that his body is capable of so much more than he ever imagined. If there was any quit in him he wouldn’t have made it this far. His two buddy’s in the previous picture have been training with him since October of 21 when they first enlisted.

A SWCC (Special Warfare Candidate Course) class of 300 was whittled down to 120. Kevin got pulled on a medical over halfway through for shin splints that went straight to his bone marrow. He didn’t self report. Bio-metrics and observation by his trainers caught the wince in his gait, elevated heart rate and temp. An MRI revealed the damage. He was in the waiting area when MSgt, TSgt, Doc, and course chief all appeared. He knew it wasn’t good and his goal of making PJ Para-Rescue or CCT (Combat Controller) were out. He was told they had good news and bad news. He opted for the good news first. I’m going to paraphrase….. “You’re a bad mother-#%ker and passed PRT on two broken legs, unfortunately you can’t continue and will not be eligible for A&S.” (Assessment & Selection is an even more intense 8 weeks). Of the 120 that went through less than 80 survived A&S and of those 80 only 40 were selected. Kevin can re-do SWCC as early as 11/24 if he is so inclined.

In an effort to remain associated with AFSPECWAR, Kevin had two choices; EOD or SERE. Passing SERE (Survial, Evasion, Resistance, Escape) just makes you a SERE trainer. EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) encompasses many things including work for the Secret Service to secure environments for POTUS. The best of them attach to AFSOC and embed with other SPECWAR units. They also have a presence on all our bases globally. 24 entered his EOD Preliminary training course. 26 days of PT, instruction, hands on training and simulation. Only 8 graduated.

Tomorrow we will get to spend about an hour with him at DFW airport as he has a 2hr layover there before flying into Pensacola and reporting at Eglin AFB. There he begins an intense 320 day course. All branches attend this EOD school and it is run by Navy. He’ll also get a lot of range time. From here he can go to dive school, jump school, and sniper school based on his own choices and/or how he performs and gets assigned.

I’m extremely proud of him. Not only has he managed to push through extreme adversity, he has excellent post service career opportunities given his MOS. His training counts towards a civil engineering degree and he can easily finish off his BCE while enlisted.

I’ve redacted his last name for his privacy.
D800536A-715D-4E97-B0A9-FAC89E4337F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor