• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Popeye Cahn

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was a class action suit against ATT mobile for over charging or something. I had an account for several years. I got a check in the mail last month for ... $.08 !

I just threw out one I found the other day from an eBay class action suit in 2011 to the tune of $.09 (I kept it with the idea of framing it lol).

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
Were the closures voluntary, or forced by regulation.? I guess that answer may vary depending which state the resorts are in, but if voluntary, the suit may have more validity.
Here in AZ most of the golf resorts are still open, showing that you can modify an activity and stay operable without compromising the edicts of social distancing and gatherings. Being outside of the Flagstaff City limits, Snowbowl was not forced to close, but chose to. Just like the golf resorts, with some modification to operations, I think they could have stayed open. I think they were prudent to close, just wondering out loud in the context of the thread.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I got $5 coupon from Hertz to USE on Hertz car rental when I joined a "class action" lawsuit. I was overcharged 250$ Never got that back..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This falls under the topic "No good deed goes unpunished" Vail did the right thing by closing and not some a$$hats are holding their feet to the fire. I can agree with the suit against Northstar will announcing the parking charges after the passes were sold but this is wrong.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? A good start...
This falls under the topic "No good deed goes unpunished" Vail did the right thing by closing and not some a$$hats are holding their feet to the fire. I can agree with the suit against Northstar will announcing the parking charges after the passes were sold but this is wrong.

Yup.........all it takes is one whiny jerk complaining about his "emotional distress" over his $500.00 pass and the ambulance chasers come running.

Not a knock on any legitimate lawyers, especially Pugs, but this kind of stuff drives me nuts.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From the article:
Per his suit, Hunt has a $499 annual season pass for the company’s Lake Tahoe resort. His pass permitted mountain access from October 2019 to June 2020 as long as there was snow, he said.

Hunt said he signed up for the annual pass with the expectation that he would be able to ski until June, and that he wouldn’t have paid for it if he knew he wouldn’t have access for several months.

He said he “continues to face imminent harm, as defendant retains annual passholders’ season pass fees while all of its resorts remain closed.”

Alrlighty then. Imminent harm? Really? And a $499 pass?
:rolleyes:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Verging on the political but mass torts seem a major failing of the US market economy. I know there is a case for tort and class action to be the only effective regulation of unscrupulous businesses, because regulatory power is relatively toothless (and will always be lobbied against) but it also seems to me to be a easy mechanicism for shakedowns by unscrupulous lawyers. Drum up a list of 1000+ plaintiffs , bang in a speculative claim and wait for a nice out of court settlement just to get rid of you , very little of which reaches the plaintiffs on a per capita basis

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From the article:
Per his suit, Hunt has a $499 annual season pass for the company’s Lake Tahoe resort. His pass permitted mountain access from October 2019 to June 2020 as long as there was snow, he said.

Hunt said he signed up for the annual pass with the expectation that he would be able to ski until June, and that he wouldn’t have paid for it if he knew he wouldn’t have access for several months.

He said he “continues to face imminent harm, as defendant retains annual passholders’ season pass fees while all of its resorts remain closed.”

Alrlighty then. Imminent harm? Really? And a $499 pass?
:rolleyes:
Unbelievable, the hubris. And also the thought that lawyers would take this on.

Covid is an act of God, for lack of a better term. An unprecedented event affecting all humanity. NOT just this resort and NOT just this plaintiff.

Hypothetically, what if there was some other event that would’ve closed the resort, as well as the surrounding environs indefinitely? A freak weather event? Loss of the power grid? Terrorist attack? Would this individual have the same complaint or not?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Oh, he'd have the same complaint, foreshore. But might find it slightly harder to sign up a lawyer to chase it.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The idea of this class action suit is ludicrous during this time (however, I am not surprised that someone had the chutzpah to initiate this). It would be nice if Ikon and Alta throw me a bone for having my season cut short. But I think that they are getting hurt more than I am by this crisis. I would rather see them take care of their employees properly.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Unbelievable, the hubris. And also the thought that lawyers would take this on.

Covid is an act of God, for lack of a better term. An unprecedented event affecting all humanity. NOT just this resort and NOT just this plaintiff.

Hypothetically, what if there was some other event that would’ve closed the resort, as well as the surrounding environs indefinitely? A freak weather event? Loss of the power grid? Terrorist attack? Would this individual have the same complaint or not?

The force majeure clauses in all legal docs, going forth, should be read with more attention to detail. Season pass agreements - no exception.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do people ask for a refund when they shell out $$$ for a crappy movie? Granted 20$ is not 800$ but really-- this litigious mentality is ridiculous.

And I didn't get a refund several years ago when all the snow melted?

If you didn't go ski why did you get a pass? Some years we ski longer than others and we don't pay more for that.

Lesson learned: As soon as the lifts Open- GO SKI