• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic Rock YES! ( and others..) What are you listening to right now?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Here's a quality 1964 performance of the Rolling Stones. It has been colorized but I only noticed after reading through the details.

What a party at the end!
James Brown, The Beach Boys, thought I saw Chuck Berry! Who else?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

The story behind the guitar he plays in the video. This was mostly news to me:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Frampton Comes Alive is the only recorded live album I have. All my other albums are recorded in studio because I want to hear the music like it was originally recorded. That is just me and I know a lot of people are different. This interview was fun to hear because it shows that the best are never satisfied and that is what makes them the best.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My Peter Frampton story:

You know, he played at my 21st birthday party! He probably doesn't remember, there were about 30,000 other people there... :ogbiggrin: March 20, 1976, there was a concert held at the Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe AZ to film scenes for the Kristoffersen/Striesand remake of A Star is Born. Cheap tickets to attract a crowd. Warm up bands included Montrose and Santana, and Peter Frampton headliner. A good time was had by all. If you watch that movie and look closely, you might see me there in the audience!!

Comes Alive! was released later that year and it became the soundtrack of my life for a couple of years until I, as most everyone else, became totally sick of hearing those songs that got played repeatedly.

For 33 years, I pretty much ignored Peter Frampton, switching stations whenever a song from Comes Alive! came on. Yeah, I might listen if they played a studio version of one of the songs or something from Humble Pie. But basically swore off Peter Frampton for a long time.

2012: a friend sent me a link to a story about the lost guitar. Interesting story. I also noted the comment that Frampton was having the guitar refurbed by Gibson and then he would take it out on the road with him on the "Comes Alive! 35" tour.

hmm... that sounds interesting. Quick check on the interweb, see that he is scheduled to perform at a local venue, asked the wife "hey, want to go see Peter Frampton?" "Sure"

Long story short: One of the best shows I've seen! In a 1600 seat theater, great sound, great band, Peter in great voice and tasty guitar playing. The first half was the Comes Alive! performance. Then the second half with some newer and older music including some Humble Pie tunes and some great covers...

Seriously glad I went!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Frampton Comes Alive is the only recorded live album I have. All my other albums are recorded in studio because I want to hear the music like it was originally recorded.

Generally agree, with another exception being J. Geils Full House. There is an energy and intensity that is missing from most of the studio version's tracks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2012: a friend sent me a link to a story about the lost guitar. Interesting story. I also noted the comment that Frampton was having the guitar refurbed by Gibson and then he would take it out on the road with him on the "Comes Alive! 35" tour.

Well, we're pretty much down this morning for wind and cold, so if we're doing lost/stolen guitar stories, here's my favorite w/r/t Rory Gallagher, on of my favorite guitarists:

TLDR: Stolen, dumped in a ditch, returned to him, and he continued to play it until his untimely death. :golfclap:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we're pretty much down this morning for wind and cold, so if we're doing lost/stolen guitar stories, here's my favorite w/r/t Rory Gallagher, on of my favorite guitarists:

TLDR: Stolen, dumped in a ditch, returned to him, and he continued to play it until his untimely death. :golfclap:

Another good story - The Terry Kath Experience, written, directed and produced by Terry's daughter Michelle Kath Sinclair.

Terry Kath Experience: A Daughter's Journey is a documentary about a daughter discovering the legacy of her father, the late Terry Kath. Kath was one of the founding members of the band Chicago whose powerful guitar playing and husky, melodic voice has been praised by such icons as Jimi Hendrix, Joe Walsh, and Eric Clapton. Before discovering his full potential as a guitar icon, Kath’s life ended tragically at age 32.
Terry's daughter Michelle was only two years old when he passed only knowing him through his music and stories from her mother. After discovering a box of memorabilia Michelle sets out on a journey to get to know her father and to search for his iconic lost guitar. In this documentary, Michelle interviews her dad's family, bandmates, and good friends, as well as prominent musicians, to piece together the life of her father, one of the great unsung rock legends of the 1970s.

image.jpeg

Uncle-A

Skier
Generally agree, with another exception being J. Geils Full House. There is an energy and intensity that is missing from most of the studio version's tracks.

I was aware of the J Geils band but I didn't follow much of their work. Thanks for sharing this it does have a high level of excitement due to the live performance. The issue I have is that there are so many great performers I couldn't follow them all. When you think about the music of the mid to late 1960's and all of the 1970's it is truly a wealth of terrific music and groups.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Comes Alive! was released later that year and it became the soundtrack of my life for a couple of years until I, as most everyone else, became totally sick of hearing those songs that got played repeatedly.
My Peter Frampton story is that I was at the Winterland segment of “Comes Alive”. I can distinctly hear my friend yelling somewhere in there ha ha!
We had seen the band Frampton‘s Camel probably less than a year earlier as an opening act on a 3 band bill which if IIRC was headlined by Johnny Winter with Foghat in the middle. Saw him a few more times later on and he was always great.
Like you, I was sick of Peter Frampton for about 30 years but now I love that first studio album.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My Frampton Story:
I used to always go the the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas with a couple pals, when CES was a BIG THING. After a long day of walking many miles on the convention halls, we finally had enough and left the Hilton convention complexes. Outside was a tent by Gibson Guitars, and some lights emanating from the entrance. We wander over and inquire what's going on. They say "Frampton is playing" and we say "damn, we wish we had tickets". They say "it's free go on in" , so we do. Over in the corner was a big Budweiser counter with many Budweiser Girls. We wander over to buy beer and they say it's free. That was when Bud introduced those spun-aluminum cans. The beer was so cold we had to hold our cans with the front tails of our shirts ! We somehow shimmy to get to the very front of stage and watch Frampton's performance way up close, with our pant legs flapping from the bass. Just an awesome experience that came out of nowhere ! I believe that year Frampton won a Grammy for "Best Rock Instrumental" for an album he had recently released. Good Times !

Uncle-A

Skier
My Frampton Story:
I used to always go the the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas with a couple pals, when CES was a BIG THING. After a long day of walking many miles on the convention halls, we finally had enough and left the Hilton convention complexes. Outside was a tent by Gibson Guitars, and some lights emanating from the entrance. We wander over and inquire what's going on. They say "Frampton is playing" and we say "damn, we wish we had tickets". They say "it's free go on in" , so we do. Over in the corner was a big Budweiser counter with many Budweiser Girls. We wander over to buy beer and they say it's free. That was when Bud introduced those spun-aluminum cans. The beer was so cold we had to hold our cans with the front tails of our shirts ! We somehow shimmy to get to the very front of stage and watch Frampton's performance way up close, with our pant legs flapping from the bass. Just an awesome experience that came out of nowhere ! I believe that year Frampton won a Grammy for "Best Rock Instrumental" for an album he had recently released. Good Times !
Free Frampton concert and free beer, it doesn't get much better than that.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January