• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic Rock YES! ( and others..) What are you listening to right now?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
I think I've posted these before, a terrific pair of live performances from long ago to help you understand why these two artists are legends. These are about 30 minutes each, a bit of a deep dive, both so worth it.

A set by Roy Orbison, already a mature and polished performer in 1975:

An early set by Dionne Warwick from 1964, young, raw, sensational:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Y'all probably never heard of these folks but they played my frosh week party way back. I appreciate them more as I get older...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
David LaFlamme, leader of the band It's A Beautiful Day, passed away earlier this month at age 82. This was his most notable song: White Bird.
Summer after 8th grade in a small venue, this was the first band I ever saw live in what I would consider a rock concert! Then again in the same place later that summer.
I even fiddled around on a violin for awhile after that.
Listened to this album the other day in memoriam
RIP :ogcool:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
whoah .... hadn't heard about David's passing - RIP

My first concert ever (third year HS I think?), Santana was the headliner, didn't pay much attention to the under-bill. Santana flamed out in the first 5 minutes due to technical difficulties. The mood was heavy depression ..... and then out came David, his wife, and IABD, and all was forgiven. All subsequent concerts never measured up.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sonny Landreth at The Soiled Dove Underground, Denver.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Jimmy with his original Telecaster :ogcool: !
This seems lip synced to me though & I wouldn’t be surprised if that is actually the original studio recording with Jeff Beck guitar. Just in case here is what it sounded like when Page took over sole guitar duty…

My brother took this photo of Page with the Yardbirds playing the same guitar at Fillmore West in 68’
IMG_2154.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
As you may know, for many years Roy Buchanan lived (and died) in the Wash DC area. He had a solid following here. One of my older brothers introduced me to his music in the early 1970s via 8 track tape.

Danny Gatton was another extraordinary and little known guitar player with Wash DC ties. He and Roy B knew each other well. Danny also had a music career and life path with mixed success. They both had substance abuse and/or mental health issues and tragically passed away too soon.

Wikipedia has details on both these guys.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
As you may know, for many years Roy Buchanan lived (and died) in the Wash DC area. He had a solid following here. One of my older brothers introduced me to his music in the early 1970s via 8 track tape.

Danny Gatton was another extraordinary and little known guitar player with Wash DC ties. He and Roy B knew each other well. Danny also had a music career and life path with mixed success. They both had substance abuse and/or mental health issues and tragically passed away too soon.

Wikipedia has details on both these guys.
I knew of RB back in the 70s. Never heard of DG. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsor

Staff online