• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic Techniques to Remind us where we came from, how far we have come

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
C4428AC5-6384-44FE-8D4C-B1A0D23C28DF.jpeg
821CFB6C-413F-41AC-BD87-B5CADBB63DA8.jpeg
F035904D-814C-4C4C-9197-FC94FA19B8AD.jpeg
22158D2C-7F47-44B8-BEBD-DB5088A29D58.jpeg
F1841487-792B-4B16-B90F-4AC97441C838.jpeg
BC495DAB-1BEB-4BE1-A47D-C1C65D87D946.jpeg
BC495DAB-1BEB-4BE1-A47D-C1C65D87D946.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
you gonna do OS clinics Historical Skiing Arts, (to borrow phraseology from the HEMA world)?

#idsignupforthat

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome elegance.

TS
RoninSkier

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Todays skiing is better, with easier access.... but more expensive and just as difficult to truly understand and master as yesterday.

Great references from great master instructors from the late 70s & ealry 80s
The boss, wife, was donating these to good will & value village. Other references and momentos gone.... baah!

CSIA manual by the great Don Bilodeau, now gone - My 2nd manual for CSIA
The great George Joubert PhD, now gone - big influence in both CSIA & PSIA
The great Franz Hoppichler PhD, now gone - dittto
WC Ski Technique, Bible for ski racing & coaching before, modern easy to carry cameras with motion cancelling, editing, montage etc features. Larsson was a disciple & student of Joubert.

Straight skis are gone, but much of what these great master instructors, coaches great technicians & teachers espoused are still relevant today.

1678821101487.png

1678821142548.png

Note Stenmarks A frame, now a big no no.
And of course no cross blocking of the slalom gate.
1678821245728.png

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Stenmark actually stepped directly to the new edge, so not really an alignment A frame, but a deliberate movement to get to the new outside ski earlier in the turn than any of his contemporaries. The rest was history until the other day. :)

TS
RoninSkier

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes great racers do things for an objective - the fastest time.
A frame, stem, drift, check/jump etc as needed. What is sometimes needed but often not needed for rec skiers - our primary objective - control, to enjoy the turn.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
so... no one is willing to pick a specific date range and a specific set of published manuals and start a historical skiing academy? While we still have living knowledge of how to interpret those manuals?

TS
RoninSkier

RoninSkier

Getting off the lift
Skier
1931, with modern music and a weird color section. The original has more. A couple of “modern” turns in there.

Very artful. Just a couple of 'modern' techniques.

Leni R is a hot Aryan Nazi babe, but there is some weird subliminal sexual frustration (ooh I cant get enough, so I will fall into my bed), group sex (in a snow pit) with some S&M (snowball stoning of a hot ski babe) going on here..... or am I a sick puppy (or old dog)? :)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don’t forget all the classics.

Full movie

Last edited:

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
so... no one is willing to pick a specific date range and a specific set of published manuals and start a historical skiing academy? While we still have living knowledge of how to interpret those manuals?

Perhaps you should start at the beginning. You can download a copy of Mathias Zdarsky’s book
Alpine (Lilienfelder) Skifahr-Technik: Eine Anleitung zum Selbstunterricht for free from the University of Innsbruck Digital Library https://diglib.uibk.ac.at/ulbtirol/content/titleinfo/4764543

The necessary equipment is still pretty easy to get hold of and there is a tailor in Hamburg who makes Zdarsky jackets https://www.retro-moden.de/index.php?id=nostalgieskikleidungkaufen&L=0

There are some YouTube videos that should help you get to grips with the technique.

You could also join one of the ski clubs that keep the technique alive http://www.nostalgieski.at/index.asp

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is no beginning and probably no end.
Everything we do skiing is just a modification on what came before with adjustments for equipment advances.
The Chinese Downhills happened because there was no grooming or effective timing system for quite a while. I can still remember racing junior USSA slalom where they used a flag to start us instead of a wand.
Imagine how our juniors will laugh at our current ski footage? The changes aren't over yet.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mathias Zdarsky is considered by many to be “Father of Alpine Skiing” https://skiinghistory.org/history/mathias-zdarsky-father-alpine-skiing The first edition of his book was published in 1897, in total seventeen editions were published up to 1925. TTBOMK his book was the first book on alpine skiing technique. As the thread is titled “Classic Techniques to Remind us where we came from, how far we have come” it would be logical starting point.

Sponsor

Staff online