• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Club A by Torstai shared by Barry Levinson

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
FROM LAPLAND TO THE TODAY SHOW – THE CLUB A STORY
Written by Jaakko Järvensivu on December 21, 2018

READ HERE
http://www.thesnowalker.com/2018/12/21/from-lapland-to-the-today-show-the-club-a-story/

Torstai-Telex.jpg

Turunen.jpg

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
This story was fantastic. @Dave Petersen great find and a big THANK YOU.......those pics of Hattrup and Plake instantly brought me back to being a "runny nosed kid" who had never skied any where but Vermont and Massachusetts watching "believable ski heroes".

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
This story was fantastic. @Dave Petersen great find and a big THANK YOU.......those pics of Hattrup and Plake instantly brought me back to being a "runny nosed kid" who had never skied any where but Vermont and Massachusetts watching "believable ski heroes".

You need to thank Barry Levinson directly -- he contacted us! :ogbiggrin:

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@wallyk

Yeah, those late 80s/early 90s ski videos did it for me too! I had to go out and buy fluorescent ski clothes!

Plus they got me interested in Chamonix which I and my family visited a decade ago.
Petersen-photo-Chamonix.jpg

Last edited:

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great to see this, I'd not seen Barry's telex before but a year later with a fax and in different markets went thru the same process. We had lots of chats about the foibles of the company and trips to northern Finland. Those trips involved snowmobiles and vodka in tipis - really called Lavvus.

Barry also worked with a great technical skiwear brand called Phoenix [not Phenix]

One of the other difficulties with Club A back then was that they were not used to a distributor model where the good were sold at low margin, big numbers to a single importer who then sold on - their model was a agent where the seller simply too a commission. It was hard to make that work. They also flipped the following [or following plus 1] season's look to colours that were more suited to going hunting - which was not helpful. However that 'Glen Plake' pullover jacket remains one of the best looking skiwear pieces of all time.

Barry - if you're lurking, ping me an email.

bmlvail

Booting up
Industry Insider
Great to see this, I'd not seen Barry's telex before but a year later with a fax and in different markets went thru the same process. We had lots of chats about the foibles of the company and trips to northern Finland. Those trips involved snowmobiles and vodka in tipis - really called Lavvus.

Barry also worked with a great technical skiwear brand called Phoenix [not Phenix]

One of the other difficulties with Club A back then was that they were not used to a distributor model where the good were sold at low margin, big numbers to a single importer who then sold on - their model was a agent where the seller simply too a commission. It was hard to make that work. They also flipped the following [or following plus 1] season's look to colours that were more suited to going hunting - which was not helpful. However that 'Glen Plake' pullover jacket remains one of the best looking skiwear pieces of all time.

Barry - if you're lurking, ping me an email.
Those were some days! We did work as in importer/distributer we sold way more than we were able to receive with many items being cancelled by their production at the last minute leaving dealers in the lurch. Lovely people in Finland though.

bmlvail

Booting up
Industry Insider

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Those were some days! We did work as in importer/distributer we sold way more than we were able to receive with many items being cancelled by their production at the last minute leaving dealers in the lurch. Lovely people in Finland though.
Yes we did the same but I remember their prices being very based on agents [high] . Not as much as I remember the collection that followed the 'Blizzard' line; from stunning colours to a look that could have done double duty as camouflage in war zones.

You're right tho, the Finns were great. I still remember the utter horror when suggested I was going to drive from Helsinki to the offices....'It's 900km.... with snow up to your doors,... you're an idiot'. Andy T', you were right :)

bmlvail

Booting up
Industry Insider
Yes we did the same but I remember their prices being very based on agents [high] . Not as much as I remember the collection that followed the 'Blizzard' line; from stunning colours to a look that could have done double duty as camouflage in war zones.

You're right tho, the Finns were great. I still remember the utter horror when suggested I was going to drive from Helsinki to the offices....'It's 900km.... with snow up to your doors,... you're an idiot'. Andy T', you were right :)
I did the drive from Stockholm twice once via ferry to Helsinki and once "over the top" from Sweden. By USA standards they were easy trips but they thought I was crazy. One trip I drove from Luxumbourg City (cheap Icelandair flight) where I rented a Golf at Europcar drove it to Kemijarvi then over to Riksgransen - Narvik - down Norwegian coast then after a million ferries said f*ck it and cut back to Sweden via Tarnaby so I can see Stenmark's home town then to Stockholm and back to Luxumbourg. When I return the car to the rental agency you could hear the scream perhaps all the way back to Finland! Most KM ever put on a Europcar rental! (unlimited miles!) So many great stories on that trip!.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I did the drive from Stockholm twice once via ferry to Helsinki and once "over the top" from Sweden. By USA standards they were easy trips but they thought I was crazy. One trip I drove from Luxumbourg City (cheap Icelandair flight) where I rented a Golf at Europcar drove it to Kemijarvi then over to Riksgransen - Narvik - down Norwegian coast then after a million ferries said f*ck it and cut back to Sweden via Tarnaby so I can see Stenmark's home town then to Stockholm and back to Luxumbourg. When I return the car to the rental agency you could hear the scream perhaps all the way back to Finland! Most KM ever put on a Europcar rental! (unlimited miles!) So many great stories on that trip!.
They must have trashed he car straight afterwards.

That just about caused my michelin routefinder to explode:

Screenshot 2022-01-16 003419.jpg

And that's probably well under the real distance.

The old man and I bottled out and stuck with Finnair :)

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think it was a bit over 4,000 miles
That's about the same as the same as the Michelin number. Suspect the car might have needed a service and a wash :)

Sponsor

Staff online