• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, I just joined after some instructors in the lift line at Blue with pugski stickers on their helmets pointed me here- great site, information overload!

I'm looking to finally get some new skis: I only have 2009 sport carvers (atomic D2 VF72 180cm, R16.5), and there likely isn't much life left in them. I only ski groomers in Ontario (possibly Quebec once in a while). I'd say I'm an advanced skier, except things get a bit sketchy for me when the runs get piled up in the afternoon.

I'm 39y 6'3, close to 300lbs I used to lift heavily, but I'm no athlete.

I demoed a few all mountain skis for the first time this year and they were so easy to ski in the piles of wet sugar we get on a busy day, so I'm thinking of switching to that type of ski moving forward, but I love high speed carving (40mph is fast to me) on icy firm snow which is more common, so maybe I need 2 pairs?

I tried the Experience 86ti in 176 (way too small but that's all they had), and it was great, but I didn't get to try it in icy firm stuff. Will this be as easy to carve as I'm used to on my 70mm skis? Could I use this as my only ski for everything here? If not, will it pair nicely with a narrower carver, or should I be looking at something like Enforcer instead to pair with a dedicated carver?

I also tried the Hero Elite MT Ti in 183 to compare to my old atomics, but it was choppy and crowded so I wasn't comfortable letting it rip to see how it handled. Am I in the right stiffness range for my size with this model, or should I be looking at a stiffer build, like Thunderbird/Firebird? I like a shorter radius but in a longer length so I can do a variety of turn shapes and speeds. I've noticed that many carvers only go up to 177, so will skis like the supershape magnum/rally be stable enough for my size?

I will be patrolling my local hill (Chicopee) next season- it's only 200ft tall, so my ski (or one of my skis) would need to be easy enough to maneuver at slow speeds while I'm working.

Appreciate any feedback you might have, thanks!

Last edited:

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am 6'4" and 240. Working to get down to 230 as my ideal weight. Certified Race Coach.

I'm looking to finally get some new skis: I only have 2009 sport carvers (atomic D2 VF72 180cm, R16.5), and there likely isn't much life left in them. I only ski groomers in Ontario (possibly Quebec once in a while). I'd say I'm an advanced skier, except things get a bit sketchy for me when the runs get piled up in the afternoon.

I'm 39y 6'3, close to 300lbs I used to lift heavily, but I'm no athlete. I demoed a few all mountain skis for the first time this year and they were so easy to ski in the piles of wet sugar we get on a busy day, so I'm thinking of switching to that type of ski moving forward, but I love high speed carving (40mph is fast to me) on icy firm snow which is more common, so maybe I need 2 pairs? Two pairs would give you more flexibility and each ski would be better in its intended element. An all around single ski is more compromised. But that is what most people use.

I tried the Experience 86ti in 176 (way too small but that's all they had), and it was great, but I didn't get to try it in icy firm stuff. Will this be as easy to carve as I'm used to on my 70mm skis? Do you mean on ice specifically? My guess is it will be close. Could I use this as my only ski for everything here? I would say yes in a longer length, I have not skied it though. If not, will it pair nicely with a narrower carver, or should I be looking at something like Enforcer instead to pair with a dedicated carver? I would recommend Enforcer to go with carver. Carver and E 86 are too close.

I also tried the Hero Elite MT Ti in 183 (much better length) to compare to my old atomics, but it was choppy and crowded so I wasn't comfortable letting it rip to see how it handled. Am I in the right stiffness range for my size with this model, or should I be looking at a stiffer build, like Thunderbird/Firebird? I would recommend the stiffer ski, Tbird/Firebird or maybe a Camaro (car joke)? I like a shorter radius but in a longer length so I can do a variety of turn shapes and speeds. I've noticed that many carvers only go up to 177, so will skis like the supershape magnum/rally be stable enough for my size? I overwhelm almost any ski in the 175-178 cm range, unless its a SL race ski or similarly stiff, you will too. The 178 SS's don't work, I tried. They are making some in 183ish now, which would be a good possibility if they stiffened the longer length a little.

I will be patrolling my local hill (Chicopee) next season- it's only 200ft tall, so my ski (or one of my skis) would need to be easy enough to maneuver at slow speeds while I'm working. I use a SL ski for that size hill, they are usually short 165-175, but they are stiff and work. I would recommend a FIS spec ski.

I would recommend you look at the Fischer RC One 86 GT in its longest length, 183ish. It is a very turny ski, pretty stiff, and can carve really well and can handle some all mtn duties. Seems like a perfect fit for what you want. I have been on the 176cm and liked it. They also make a Curve GT ski that is getting good reviews, its a 76mm underfoot ski. Maybe a touch quicker than the 86 GT. This would be your one ski quiver. If two skis, do a 70-76 carver and a 95-105 soft snow ski with some rocker. A firebird and an enforcer would be a good combo. I personally like the Blizzard Brahma / Bonifide skis, they are not super stiff initially but stiffen as they flex. Works well for a clyde.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
I will say that I'm not only skiing at Chicopee, that's just while I'm patrolling, or with my 5 year old. I'm normally at Blue, Moonstone, and a few of the private clubs along the escarpment. No plans to go out west anytime soon.

I have a pair of 170cm Nordica SL skis (non FIS), and I gave up on them, too twitchy for me unless I'm on top of them, and sometimes I just like to let it run for a bit. At Chicopee, the top 1/4 has a decent pitch, but the rest is mostly flat, so I'd just be cruising around there.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB since you recommended the Fischer 86GT 183, there is a Toronto-area guy selling off some current Stockli SR88 & SR95 184 for about $900 $C. I assume that the SR88 would be adequate for the OP as well, or maybe too long of a radius ? Fischer is tough to come up in Ontario, very few dealers. BTW: I live in his home-town where the mighty Chicopee is located.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
I am 6'4" and 240. Working to get down to 230 as my ideal weight. Certified Race Coach.

I'm 39y 6'3, close to 300lbs I used to lift heavily, but I'm no athlete. I demoed a few all mountain skis for the first time this year and they were so easy to ski in the piles of wet sugar we get on a busy day, so I'm thinking of switching to that type of ski moving forward, but I love high speed carving (40mph is fast to me) on icy firm snow which is more common, so maybe I need 2 pairs? Two pairs would give you more flexibility and each ski would be better in its intended element. An all around single ski is more compromised. But that is what most people use.

I tried the Experience 86ti in 176 (way too small but that's all they had), and it was great, but I didn't get to try it in icy firm stuff. Will this be as easy to carve as I'm used to on my 70mm skis? Do you mean on ice specifically? My guess is it will be close. Could I use this as my only ski for everything here? I would say yes in a longer length, I have not skied it though. If not, will it pair nicely with a narrower carver, or should I be looking at something like Enforcer instead to pair with a dedicated carver? I would recommend Enforcer to go with carver. Carver and E 86 are too close.

I also tried the Hero Elite MT Ti in 183 (much better length) to compare to my old atomics, but it was choppy and crowded so I wasn't comfortable letting it rip to see how it handled. Am I in the right stiffness range for my size with this model, or should I be looking at a stiffer build, like Thunderbird/Firebird? I would recommend the stiffer ski, Tbird/Firebird or maybe a Camaro (car joke)? I like a shorter radius but in a longer length so I can do a variety of turn shapes and speeds. I've noticed that many carvers only go up to 177, so will skis like the supershape magnum/rally be stable enough for my size? I overwhelm almost any ski in the 175-178 cm range, unless its a SL race ski or similarly stiff, you will too. The 178 SS's don't work, I tried. They are making some in 183ish now, which would be a good possibility if they stiffened the longer length a little.

I will be patrolling my local hill (Chicopee) next season- it's only 200ft tall, so my ski (or one of my skis) would need to be easy enough to maneuver at slow speeds while I'm working. I use a SL ski for that size hill, they are usually short 165-175, but they are stiff and work. I would recommend a FIS spec ski.

I would recommend you look at the Fischer RC One 86 GT in its longest length, 183ish. It is a very turny ski, pretty stiff, and can carve really well and can handle some all mtn duties. Seems like a perfect fit for what you want. I have been on the 176cm and liked it. They also make a Curve GT ski that is getting good reviews, its a 76mm underfoot ski. Maybe a touch quicker than the 86 GT. This would be your one ski quiver. If two skis, do a 70-76 carver and a 95-105 soft snow ski with some rocker. A firebird and an enforcer would be a good combo. I personally like the Blizzard Brahma / Bonifide skis, they are not super stiff initially but stiffen as they flex. Works well for a clyde.
great info, thanks!

I'm not at the level to be carving through piles of mashed potatoes, so i'd be doing more pivots and smears through that. the 86GT looks like it would hook up and be catchy in those situations?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other skis I own and would recommend for a Clyde: \

Brahma 88 or 82 (the 82 might work well for you) This skis does really well in variable conditions, not catchy at all, the opposite
Salomon X-Drive 88 Not made anymore, but if you find a used one I would grab it. Very stiff and good carver.
Faction 2020-2021 CT series ski See separate thread on these, they are chargey and very good all around all mtn ski. Narrowest one is 92mm under foot, but doesn't feel that wide.
Salomon S/Force Bold Not sure if still make them, but similar kind of ski to Fishcer 86 GT
K2 Ikonic 84 TI Out of production, but I really really liked this ski. I review in the thread below.

If thinking used, check out this thread I posted a couple years ago:

My thoughts on Stockli skis? I own one, a laser AX in 183cm. It is actually one of my softest skis. Its a little softer than I would consider ideal for me, but compared to a race ski, its much more relaxed and less demanding. Some of their other carvers are much stiffer and I would probably like them more. The AX is versatile, so that is its real selling point. I would stay away from the SR88 myself. They made pretty soft ones some years and they changed that quickly. They are not burly skis. The SR 95 seems much more universally loved. As a clyde if most people complain a ski is too stiff, then its just right for me. I don't hear complaints about the SR 95, so I suspect its on the soft side for a Clyde. I have never skied any SR's, so this is all here say on my part. I do know the ~10 year old Storm Rider skis were very stiff and burly. I tried to buy one once but never did the deal.

James

Out There
Instructor
The 2021 or earlier Fischer Curve GT in the 183 (or 2) was declared a beast by some very good but not large skiers. It is quite hefty in construction. Might be the ticket.

The Curve (no gt, no Dtx) in that size of that era or slightly before is an absolute beast for smooth snow only. I heard it’s the ski Michael Von Grunigen wanted.
I’ve seen that in the store too and it was one of the most substantial skis I’ve seen in years. In days of yore, many men’s race skis were incredibly thick. That thing approached that level with modern construction.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have never been close to 300 lbs, but I have engineering training, and know your hills very well.

For Chicopee, I would recommend you get a SL ski, at least something like Fischer SC Pro in a 170, if not Fischer SL ( think it only comes in 165). If your consumer SL has a radius of less than 13 m that would make it too small a radius. (Potential bias - I own the older Fischer SC in 165 and find it works ideally for 160 lbs on smaller hills). Just keep 'em on edge (right or left edges) and turning, but never straight and the twitchyness goes away.

For Blue Mountain, you will want something longer and with a longer turn radius, Maybe Consumer GS I would look at (Fischer, Atomic, Blizzard, Nordica). Lots of folk tell me they like Volkl Kendo and skis of that width for making traditional short radius turns; these folk usually are making traditional short radius turns as opposed to high edge angle pure arc-2-arc carved turns. So if that's what you plan on doing when it gets snowy look at the Kendo.

Mt. St. Louis Moonstone you could do with either SL or GS sized turn ski (or the Kendo).

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a clyde myself. I am currently skiing on some K2 Disruption STI in 170. R15. They are fairly robust, and hold up to whatever I do. I find a 15m ski is a very good all round shape for Collingwood and MSLM. You can bend it into a tight arc or not , as you wish.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
I have never been close to 300 lbs, but I have engineering training, and know your hills very well.

For Chicopee, I would recommend you get a SL ski, at least something like Fischer SC Pro in a 170, if not Fischer SL ( think it only comes in 165). If your consumer SL has a radius of less than 13 m that would make it too small a radius. (Potential bias - I own the older Fischer SC in 165 and find it works ideally for 160 lbs on smaller hills). Just keep 'em on edge (right or left edges) and turning, but never straight and the twitchyness goes away.

For Blue Mountain, you will want something longer and with a longer turn radius, Maybe Consumer GS I would look at (Fischer, Atomic, Blizzard, Nordica). Lots of folk tell me they like Volkl Kendo and skis of that width for making traditional short radius turns; these folk usually are making traditional short radius turns as opposed to high edge angle pure arc-2-arc carved turns. So if that's what you plan on doing when it gets snowy look at the Kendo.

Mt. St. Louis Moonstone you could do with either SL or GS sized turn ski (or the Kendo).

it's a spitfire pro 170 R14m. kendo is a great option too, but I figured the Exp86ti would be able to do everything in one ski, its supposed to be a great carver, but also good in variable snow. I just wish it was colder out when I demo'd so I could see for myself. but it did everything I needed it to in the mush.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most people don’t realize how rough things get at Blue or MSLM in the warmer afternoons.

If I was doing one ski for all day, the first ski to come to mind would be the Experience 86Ti ski you tried but in the 185cm length. Has a very long effective edge for great edge grip but has a low rise tip that more easily passes over afternoon crud. The Fisher skis mentioned above along with the wider Stockli carvers also have similar designs.

True carvers like a Firebird in a 180ish length a great option for colder, firmer days. I’ve the the longer radius 180cm WRC myself but the HRC might be a better bet for your desired use.

James

Out There
Instructor
I would recommend you look at the Fischer RC One 86 GT in its longest length, 183ish.
Impressive edge hold on that ski. Race level. Also a great tip profile/flex. Does not flap.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
Most people don’t realize how rough things get at Blue or MSLM in the warmer afternoons.

If I was doing one ski for all day, the first ski to come to mind would be the Experience 86Ti ski you tried but in the 185cm length. Has a very long effective edge for great edge grip but has a low rise tip that more easily passes over afternoon crud. The Fisher skis mentioned above along with the wider Stockli carvers also have similar designs.

True carvers like a Firebird in a 180ish length a great option for colder, firmer days. I’ve the the longer radius 180cm WRC myself but the HRC might be a better bet for your desired use.
thank you, right on the money. alot of big mountain skiers may not take into account the sheer volume of people that plow through over and over again on those short runs on the weekends, sometimes it's all piled up up by 10am.

I have the most fun carving during the week, night skiing when it's cold and quiet

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Crudbusters for warm afternoons in Ontario, far left. Had them out for a few days this spring in (the glades) the rock garden, before it got cold again(then the SCs came out). You'll need a time machine to get them though. ogsmile
20211128_115548.jpg