• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Faction 2020-2021 CT series ski See separate thread on these, they are chargey and very good all around all mtn ski. Narrowest one My thoughts on Stockli skis? I own one, a laser AX in 183cm. It is actually one of my softest skis. Its a little softer than I would consider ideal for me, but compared to a race ski, its much more relaxed and less demanding. Some of their other carvers are much stiffer and I would probably like them more. The AX is versatile, so that is its real selling point. I would stay away from the SR88 myself. They made pretty soft ones some years and they changed that quickly. They are not burly skis. The SR 95 seems much more universally loved. As a clyde if most people complain a ski is too stiff, then its just right for me. I don't hear complaints about the SR 95, so I suspect its on the soft side for a Clyde. I have never skied any SR's, so this is all here say on my part. I do know the ~10 year old Storm Rider skis were very stiff and burly. I tried to buy one once but never did the deal.
I’m clyde myself and have been up to 280 but now back at 250 and dropping. :D I have had two AXs in 183 and 175 and always felt they were a little too soft for my size if I wanted to push them. I have both 2022 SR95s and 2023 SR88s both in 184s. I think somewhere around 2019 the beefed up the SRs again but maybe not to the level that they had been previously. I had skied Brahma’s for a two season and this winter got to swap out my SR88s with my buddy’s 2019 Brahmas for a few runs at Killington. Although the Brahmas felt a little bit stiffer, the SR88s were able to charge just as hard while feeling lighter and more versatile. I am completely happy with them for dealing with variable conditions.

I definitely agree that it’s hard to go too stiff as a clyde. I hesitantly bought a pair of 180 WRT Pros this year and was concerned that they would be too much ski and it was absolutely not the case. They have me thinking about a FIS SL for my home (small) mountain which seems similar to the OPs. It really seems like a narrow stiff carver and something like a Brahma, Kendo or another beefy all mountain ski might be the way to go for him.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
I was going to say longest length Firebird HRC but GregK beat me to it.
That one is on my list for sure, but since I'm no expert or pushing super high g forces, I thought the thunderbird r15 WB or the Rossi Elite MT may be more appropriate? I would need to work on my balance and staying out of the backseat before I can handle a ski like that, no?

Last edited:

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
That one is on my list for sure, but since I'm no expert or pushing super high g forces, I thought the thunderbird or the Elite MT may be more appropriate? I would need to work on my balance and staying out of the backseat before I can handle a ski like that, no?
I can’t say whether you can or can’t handle it, but, at 6-3 and 300 lbs, you won’t have any problem bending it. Can you demo?

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
In regards to backseat: if you’re frequently backseat set, practice/lessons are needed more than new skis. If you’re occasionally backseat, don’t worry about it when selecting skis. Everyone gets too far back occasionally. Watch a word cup race. Even the world’s best occasionally get too far back and get shot out to side of the course. If you want to get better at avoiding the backseat (who doesn’t), a high performance ski will typically give you instant feedback, strongly encouraging you to not do that again. ;)

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
In regards to backseat: if you’re frequently backseat set, practice/lessons are needed more than new skis. If you’re occasionally backseat, don’t worry about it when selecting skis. Everyone gets too far back occasionally. Watch a word cup race. Even the world’s best occasionally get too far back and get shot out to side of the course. If you want to get better at avoiding the backseat (who doesn’t), a high performance ski will typically give you instant feedback, strongly encouraging you to not do that again. ;)

That's encouraging, thanks. Before this year I hadn't skied in about 5 years, so I'm just getting back into it and a bit rusty. It happens occasionally and I'm aware of it, more so on steeper bumpy runs.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
That one is on my list for sure, but since I'm no expert or pushing super high g forces, I thought the thunderbird r15 WB or the Rossi Elite MT may be more appropriate? I would need to work on my balance and staying out of the backseat before I can handle a ski like that, no?
It's a bit of a chicken and egg thing; if you get a ski that can turn you, you will learn how to turn better.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Redster Q9 is 75 wide and Q9.8 is 74.5 wide

OP check out the SportingLife.ca website as they have a lot of skis at 40% off plus some have an extra 10% promo right now, and they still have a good inventory of race-type skis. And for our USA friends, unfortunately they DO NOT ship to the US.

Last edited:
TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
If you're demo'ing the MT, make sure it's the Ti version. The Ca was too soft for me. Also Atomic a WB model of something, not sure which Redster.
I demoed the MT TI, and it felt nice, I could probably go stiffer even

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Typo above: Redster Q9.8 is 84.5 wide ( not 74.5 )

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I will say that I'm not only skiing at Chicopee, that's just while I'm patrolling, or with my 5 year old. I'm normally at Blue, Moonstone, and a few of the private clubs along the escarpment. No plans to go out west anytime soon.

I have a pair of 170cm Nordica SL skis (non FIS), and I gave up on them, too twitchy for me unless I'm on top of them, and sometimes I just like to let it run for a bit. At Chicopee, the top 1/4 has a decent pitch, but the rest is mostly flat, so I'd just be cruising around there.
You may wanna look at the Head Rally in a longer length. Short turn radius, stiff but not demanding. The latest generation has a rounder design for the wide tips and tails, making them less hooky, and probably better for your patrolling/Daddy duties ogsmile

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
My thoughts on Stockli skis? I own one, a laser AX in 183cm. It is actually one of my softest skis. Its a little softer than I would consider ideal for me, but compared to a race ski, its much more relaxed and less demanding. Some of their other carvers are much stiffer and I would probably like them more. The AX is versatile, so that is its real selling point. I would stay away from the SR88 myself. They made pretty soft ones some years and they changed that quickly. They are not burly skis. The SR 95 seems much more universally loved. As a clyde if most people complain a ski is too stiff, then its just right for me. I don't hear complaints about the SR 95, so I suspect its on the soft side for a Clyde. I have never skied any SR's, so this is all here say on my part. I do know the ~10 year old Storm Rider skis were very stiff and burly. I tried to buy one once but never did the deal.

Hey Scott, I found a Montero AX 183 for a good deal, so maybe it's worth considering as a one ski quiver for me? or is it too soft in your opinion? I doubt I'm close to your speeds and g forces, but the weight is still a factor.

I'm liking that GT86 you recommended, but they are hard to come by in 182, however the Exp 86ti is easy to find in 185

For a 2 ski quiver I found a thunderbird R15 WB 182, but enforcers are sold out everywhere, I could pick that up next season.

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
I have never been close to 300 lbs, but I have engineering training, and know your hills very well.

For Chicopee, I would recommend you get a SL ski, at least something like Fischer SC Pro in a 170, if not Fischer SL ( think it only comes in 165). If your consumer SL has a radius of less than 13 m that would make it too small a radius. (Potential bias - I own the older Fischer SC in 165 and find it works ideally for 160 lbs on smaller hills). Just keep 'em on edge (right or left edges) and turning, but never straight and the twitchyness goes away.

For Blue Mountain, you will want something longer and with a longer turn radius, Maybe Consumer GS I would look at (Fischer, Atomic, Blizzard, Nordica). Lots of folk tell me they like Volkl Kendo and skis of that width for making traditional short radius turns; these folk usually are making traditional short radius turns as opposed to high edge angle pure arc-2-arc carved turns. So if that's what you plan on doing when it gets snowy look at the Kendo.

Mt. St. Louis Moonstone you could do with either SL or GS sized turn ski (or the Kendo).
Fischer SC Pro has a radius of 13.5m in 170
Fischer SL has a radius of 12m in 165

you mentioned that I should stay above 13m, but also recommended the SL, I'm not following. So just avoid a consumer SL with too short of a radius, but the FIS one is ok?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Fischer SC Pro has a radius of 13.5m in 170
Fischer SL has a radius of 12m in 165

you mentioned that I should stay above 13m, but also recommended the SL, I'm not following. So just avoid a consumer SL with too short of a radius, but the FIS one is ok?
Yup. Not sure what the radius of the Fischer SL is currently, but if it doesn't round up to 13, I would not recommend it for free skiing (except on tiny hills). The stiffer ski would go well with your weight, but the radius could be problematic at speeds skied in real life on bigger hills.
These skis would work. https://www.peakskishop.com/2023-dynastar-speed-sl-fis.html?id=80866188 (Just a quick google - shop around).

TS
S

Shawster

Booting up
Skier
Yup. Not sure what the radius of the Fischer SL is currently, but if it doesn't round up to 13, I would not recommend it for free skiing (except on tiny hills). The stiffer ski would go well with your weight, but the radius could be problematic at speeds skied in real life on bigger hills.
These skis would work. https://www.peakskishop.com/2023-dynastar-speed-sl-fis.html?id=80866188 (Just a quick google - shop around).

I would only use a SL ski at Chicopee, I'd leave it in the Patrol locker. Just for technique practice and a leg workout. Anywhere else I'd be in trouble, agree