• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta CO, UT or WY ? Help :)

candc1511

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello! I'm planning our first trip out west for my 11 y/o son and I. We're from Boston, so he's only ever skied in the East. I've only been skiing in CO once when I was a kid.

I have an Ikon pass & have narrowed it down to Jackson Hole, Alta/Snowbird, or Winter Park. If we do Alta/Snowbird we would go December 12th-18th & stay at Alta but ski both and probably more of snowbird. If we did Jackson Hole or Winter Park I'd likely book late January/early February. I'd like to avoid holidays/high volume days, so would probably aim to ski M-F.

My biggest concerns are:
For alta/snowbird - is 12/12-12/18 too early in the season to really enjoy the skiing, will we be able to ski between the two mountains then?
For Jackson Hole - I'm wondering if the terrain will be too advanced for us to really be able to fully enjoy it? We're both intermediate to advanced skiers, but definitely not expert. We ski mostly blues and blacks, but I'm also wondering how that will translate out west vs what we're used to skiing on.

The draw for Jackson is the views/location, but really I think we'd get more out of the snowbird skiing from talking with friends. Winter park is where I went when I was a kid, so I think it would be fun, but the other two hold more appeal to me. I'd love to do it all, unfortunately the budget only goes so far.

Thanks for any advise!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hard to say if it's too early, of course, but so far this year, Utah has gotten a nice little bit and (most important) the short-term forecast is also friendly. Obviously, if it stops snowing in November, the snow from last and next weeks won't be so helpful, but it's a good start. I don't know the parameters for opening skiing in between, but you can always shuttle if necessary. If early snow is decent, I would 100% choose that week to go. Why not Jackson that week? They always seems to have the goods the week before Christmas. That said, I think you are right to focus on Utah, because there will be more terrain for you.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you do go to JH, plan a side trip day to Grand Targhee if the weather looks good and they have snow. Stunning views of the Tetons.

TS
C

candc1511

Skier
Hard to say if it's too early, of course, but so far this year, Utah has gotten a nice little bit and (most important) the short-term forecast is also friendly. Obviously, if it stops snowing in November, the snow from last and next weeks won't be so helpful, but it's a good start. I don't know the parameters for opening skiing in between, but you can always shuttle if necessary. If early snow is decent, I would 100% choose that week to go. Why not Jackson that week? They always seems to have the goods the week before Christmas. That said, I think you are right to focus on Utah, because there will be more terrain for you.
Thanks! I could definitely do Jackson that week. Alta had really good lodging rates, but they'd probably be just as good in Jackson too& then maybe we could do an April trip to Utah. Too many fun/good places to choose from :)

Reactions: Ogg

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don't be afraid of the terrain at Jackson. Altabird has more challenging terrain overall but your dates are way too early. If anything, you want to hit LCC late in the season.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the terrain you've described, Winter Park. Plenty of challenging terrain if you want it, especially the Mary Jane side, but also plenty of intermediate terrain, both groomed run as well as open bowls and glades. Also, plenty of accommodations both at Winter Park and nearby in the town of Winter Park and Frasier.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
December trips planned this far in advance always have an element of risk there won't be adequate snow. It's less risky where they make snow. Jackson Hole is less risky than UT. Here in UT the October weather pattern's been generous but it doesn't really portend 4+ weeks from now.

If you're able to last minute the trip you can target conditions. If not, in general, Wyoming in December is safer.

Good luck to your Red Sox.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
The thing with terrian is if you have good snow conditions it does make the more difficult stuff more managable. So you could take the leap and go to Jackson in January/early February. WP would definitely have the terrian you like but really if you have Ikon there are other options in CO I would consider instead.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally I think Jackson has just as much to offer a adventurous intermediate to advanced skier as altabird. But neither is really a go-to destination until you're comfortable and enjoying 35*+ runs. Your dates for UT are possibly too early for a good base at snowbird unless the fall snow season is very productive.

So I would focus on Jackson if you want to push the comfort level a lot or winter park if you want to push it a little.

TS
C

candc1511

Skier
The thing with terrian is if you have good snow conditions it does make the more difficult stuff more managable. So you could take the leap and go to Jackson in January/early February. WP would definitely have the terrian you like but really if you have Ikon there are other options in CO I would consider instead.
What would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions!

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
What would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions!

I think Steamboat would give you a lot of what you are looking for. It still has that ski town vibe like Jackson but with a mountain that is more mellow. Like Jackson there are some more affordable lodging options in town. The snow there can be some of the best you will find anywhere.

I also like Snowmass which another poster mentioned. Copper would be another option, the terrian there would a great fit and if you feel adventurous you could work in a day at A-Basin which has great scenery but it like Jackson is a more advanced mountain.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
You don't say why your potential Utah dates are only in December. Late January/February is more reliably better everywhere (including Utah), so if you have the flexibility, that's great timing. Midweek away from MLK/Presidents weekends, pretty much anywhere you pick should be fun. Take a careful look at the specific Ikon product you bought... does it include Aspen/Snowmass? Does it include Jackson? Are there enough covered days at your chosen destination?
Jackson Hole and Alta/Snowbird have the most terrain that is outside the comfort zone of intermediate/advanced but non-expert skiers. So if you think there's a decent chance you're getting better every year and might get more out of a trip to one of those destinations in the future, it might make sense to hold off. But both of these (and also Brighton/Solitude, Deer Valley, Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper, Aspen, and Big Sky) offer plenty of fun for you two for a week.

TS
C

candc1511

Skier
You don't say why your potential Utah dates are only in December. Late January/February is more reliably better everywhere (including Utah), so if you have the flexibility, that's great timing. Midweek away from MLK/Presidents weekends, pretty much anywhere you pick should be fun. Take a careful look at the specific Ikon product you bought... does it include Aspen/Snowmass? Does it include Jackson? Are there enough covered days at your chosen destination?
Jackson Hole and Alta/Snowbird have the most terrain that is outside the comfort zone of intermediate/advanced but non-expert skiers. So if you think there's a decent chance you're getting better every year and might get more out of a trip to one of those destinations in the future, it might make sense to hold off. But both of these (and also Brighton/Solitude, Deer Valley, Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper, Aspen, and Big Sky) offer plenty of fun for you two for a week.
Thanks! Alta Lodge had really reasonable prices that week (likely for a reason ;), and I liked the idea of dinner at the lodge included - seemed stress free and easy. Their prices are only reasonable for me early/late season. The other locations I was planning on mid-week skiing avoiding peak times (holidays/school holidays) in Jan/Feb. Too many good choices! I got the full Ikon pass & included Jackson hole just in case, we will plan on 4-5 days of skiing wherever we go.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat and Winter Park are both good choices. Both have good snowmaking and lots of fun intermediate terrain with incremental challenge. Copper is a great mountain too but not really a town.

YMMV but IME Jackson's expert terrain is on a par with other big mountain expert terrain but the blues seem steeper than runs marked blue in other places. Also the town is very cool with lots of off mountain activities,, but expensive and driving and parking and shuttling can be a bit of a slog. I have only spent a week there though so take it with salt.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks! Alta Lodge had really reasonable prices that week (likely for a reason ;), and I liked the idea of dinner at the lodge included - seemed stress free and easy. Their prices are only reasonable for me early/late season. The other locations I was planning on mid-week skiing avoiding peak times (holidays/school holidays) in Jan/Feb. Too many good choices! I got the full Ikon pass & included Jackson hole just in case, we will plan on 4-5 days of skiing wherever we go.

I stayed early season like that at Alta Lodge, with kids, about a dozen years ago, and it was really lovely. If you can hold off on making your decision until you can see what snow is like, I fully support that choice. I remember that trip fondly, even if the skiing wasn't gnar. I barely remember the skiing ... I have been to Alta many times, so that's the reason for that ... but it was just a neat trip with the family. Unless the snow is really poor, it is a unique experience that will make up for any underwhelming conditions.

Sponsor