• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cody Townsend (Blister Podcast 11 Mar 22): Beginner Skiers Need Better Skis More Than Advanced Skiers

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Advanced skiers can get adjust their skiing style to the (crappy) equipment. Beginner skiers need higher performance skis to assist them in their progression.

Title and above line para-phrased. Discussion starts
  • Myth 5: Less-advanced skiers are fine skiing anything (1:04:53)

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@utskier says this all the time. He even put a rather newbie skier on his skis a few weeks ago for a run because the guy was on the crappy season-long rentals and was struggling. He put the guy on his Laser AX and the guy lit up "wow!"

I think a never-ever can do fine on the noodles they are put on for a couple days, but once they progress a bit to anything more than the bunny hill, they would absolutely be better suited to better equipment.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the crappy rentals beginners are put on has to do with economics for the rental fleet, and not some industry wide generalized thought that beginners don't need proper fitted gear to learn.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I think the crappy rentals beginners are put on has to do with economics for the rental fleet, and not some industry wide generalized thought that beginners don't need proper fitted gear to learn.
I'm sure that's a big factor. I wonder how much boot fitting is a factor. Beginners simply don't know what a proper boot fit should feel like and probably often go bigger than ideal.

I think back to when I learned to ski as a kid and I think it's actually waaaay better and easier to learn how to ski now. It's not even close. The technology is way better and I think there is greater emphasis on boot fitting now. Not saying things can't improve from where we are today but wow is it infinitely easier than it was in the early 80s. Those of you who never skied skinny straight skis don't know how good and easier you have it with modern equipment. Shoot, back in the 80s being able to learn how to make parallel turns was the holy grail for most casual skiers. A lot of casual skiers would not progress much past snow plow. I've seen people accomplish in a few days what literally took casual skiers years to do in the 80s.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think resort senior management needs to go through the whole rental process and ski for a day in what they subject beginners to ski it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Beginners the equipment is likely fine except boot fit. The state of it, I doubt is. How many people can’t turn because there’s some issue with the base? Sometimes we send people to rentals to get wax the skis are so sticky. Rentals refuses.
It’s not a new thing either. Years ago when we had the Elan psx 119cm skis, the bases were often dried out and hairy. They barely moved. Shop refused to wax them.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Skis that stick to the snow really affect my performance. I'm usually waxed correctly but when it gets below zero everyone is sticking. My men's group instructor never seems to be hindered by it but I get thrown for a loop every time. I can't imagine how exponentially hard it would be for a never-ever to try to learn in those circumstances.

@James maybe you should start carrying some spray wax with you and take care of it yourself if the rental shop is so difficult to work with. In fact, I see this as a profit center for you - conjure up some theatrics to enhance the situation; create a problem for your captive audience whether their rentals have wax or not, then whip out your magic spray can to solve it! That should be worth an extra $20 per head in tips for the day and your guests get a better learning experience.

Bonus: and when they return the skis to the rental counter they'll give the bro-brah's a hard time for sure.

I can help you write the script...

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I started buying skis "above" my level years ago. It happened once by accident and the outcome was very desirable. After that, I stopped worrying about what level the ski was and focused on how it felt in a demo. There are a myriad of problems with rental equipment.

James

Out There
Instructor
That should be worth an extra $20 per head in tips for the day and your guests get a better learning experience.
It’s not. Used to do it all the time. The new sprays would be much easier.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
maybe you should start carrying some spray wax with you and take care of it yourself if the rental shop is so difficult to work with.

I know many instructors carried a small hunk of rub on wax in their pocket for their students.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think beginners through advanced intermediates would be way better off with an all mountain ski with moderate tip and tail rocker/taper around 80mm underfoot than the watered down carving skis most of them get. The theory that they should be on carving skis early on just doesn’t make sense to me. The all mountain designs still carve but are much more forgiving of errors. A little extra width is also easier for them to balance on.
If it is snowing or slushy, give ‘em something wider.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have also come across beginners that want slow skis since they dont want to ski fast, this is so wrong and I try to correct their perception whenever I can. It's a lot easier to ski a well tuned ski.

With regards to beginner/entry level skis versus boots, i am confident that I could have a great day skiing any terrain on the cheapest rental skis. Not so with the rental boots.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Cody Townsend’s interview - I really enjoyed his views on intermediate and beginner skiers. If his a too much of a thread drift, please move to an appropriate forum. His thoughts might be pertinent to my wife, a strong intermediate skier, living in the west-coast. Next year, she will take a a few three day clinics with Canadian coaches and work on trying to carve better and ski the fall-line

What ski should she use while on groomers and scrappy groomers. Suggestions for a mid-80 cm ski work for a women (135 lbs), 5’ 8”. She is currently using a Rip Stick 94, but she notices that the tip start to chatter on firm groomers. FYI, her boots are professionally fitted and work well (Atomic Hawx Ultra 95).

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I know a guy who does that ;)
Oh! So that's how it all started! Might actually be TMI. Especially if it was fluoro.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Cody Townsend’s interview - I really enjoyed his views on intermediate and beginner skiers. If his a too much of a thread drift, please move to an appropriate forum. His thoughts might be pertinent to my wife, a strong intermediate skier, living in the west-coast. Next year, she will take a a few three day clinics with Canadian coaches and work on trying to carve better and ski the fall-line

What ski should she use while on groomers and scrappy groomers. Suggestions for a mid-80 cm ski work for a women (135 lbs), 5’ 8”. She is currently using a Rip Stick 94, but she notices that the tip start to chatter on firm groomers. FYI, her boots are professionally fitted and work well (Atomic Hawx Ultra 95).
The Ripsticks are not the worst on groomers. Well tuned and not detuned?

If they are well tuned and still not working for her I'd go down 15-20mm in width for a dedicated groomer ski. Lots of good skis. Nela 80? @Lauren?

Sponsor

Staff online