• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cody Townsend (Blister Podcast 11 Mar 22): Beginner Skiers Need Better Skis More Than Advanced Skiers

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
She is currently using a Rip Stick 94, but she notices that the tip start to chatter on firm groomers.

Pretty much any ski with rocker will have some top flap on firm groomers. I’d suggest she just try to ignore it.

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
The Ripsticks are not the worst on groomers. Well tuned and not detuned?

If they are well tuned and still not working for her I'd go down 15-20mm in width for a dedicated groomer ski. Lots of good skis. Nela 80? @Lauren?
Her Elan skis are not that well tuned, but I can easily remedy the tune. From my limited experience, the skis seem a bit wide for learning how to properly carve a ski. That said, should she try ski with less rocker? Do,you think that the Nela 80 might be too stiff for her?

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What ski should she use while on groomers and scrappy groomers. Suggestions for a mid-80 cm ski work for a women (135 lbs), 5’ 8”. She is currently using a Rip Stick 94, but she notices that the tip start to chatter on firm groomers.
What size Rip Stick is she on? I found stability was significantly better when sizing up a bit…still…the tips are soft, and there is a decent amount of chatter when it’s firm. But less noticeable if you’re on a larger size. For reference I’m your wife’s weight, only 5’5”, advanced skier. I was most comfortable on the 170.

The Nela 80 could be a great ski for her to improve front side carving on. I haven’t personally been on it, but hear a lot a great feedback. The Black Pearl 82 could be another contender for a similar ski. I’d stick to something in the high 70s, low-80s underfoot. If she is really enjoying the RipSticks and wants to stick with Elan, their Wildcat series is pretty stellar. Lots of options in that front-side all-mountain category.

Unless you’re trying to take advantage of some end of season deals, waiting until the beginning of next season and seeking out a demo day might be the best way to get her something she’ll love.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That said, should she try ski with less rocker? Do,you think that the Nela 80 might be too stiff for her?
Yes on the less rocker. I pulled the Nela out of a hat, more or less. You should listen to Lauren above - why I paged her.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes on the less rocker. I pulled the Nela out of a hat, more or less. You should listen to Lauren above - why I paged her.
@AmyPJ may be able to weigh into this conversation...I know she's spent some time on the Nela 88...not sure about the 80. And if I recall correctly, she's spent some time looking for a good carving ski to supplement some of her wider skis over the past couple seasons.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ may be able to weigh into this conversation...I know she's spent some time on the Nela 88...not sure about the 80. And if I recall correctly, she's spent some time looking for a good carving ski to supplement some of her wider skis over the past couple seasons.
I haven't skied the 80, but the 88 is not too stiff even for this often tentative skier. That being said, the Stockli rep wants me on a pair of Laser SCs next season to really step up my skills. They are 72 under foot.

James

Out There
Instructor
I haven't skied the 80, but the 88 is not too stiff even for this often tentative skier. That being said, the Stockli rep wants me on a pair of Laser SCs next season to really step up my skills. They are 72 under foot.
Nice!
I remember when you considered 92? the skinniest you would consider.

Sponsor

Staff online