• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

College club race GS ski choice

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Eliminate the 30m regulation, what would be the fastest ski for WCers?
Probably about what they're on now, somewhere around 30m, assuming setting trends are similar.

In the >21m and >27m eras, the top men were typically on something with an actual TR of 29-32m. No reason to think that would change.
Would it change for women? Maybe a bit? I'm not sure what the women were actually skiing in the >21m and >23m eras. Maybe somebody who does can chime in. But I think the radius would stay around where it is now (sort of 27-32m); it's workable. Still work to be done on layup, etc. IMO.

I believe @ScotsSkier and I (and some others) had a discussion about this a year or two ago. Maybe somebody can dig that up.

TBH, flex pattern is more important than the radius of the ski, but ... most "normal" people don't really get a choice in flex patterns

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
Probably about what they're on now, somewhere around 30m, assuming setting trends are similar.

In the >21m and >27m eras, the top men were typically on something with an actual TR of 29-32m. No reason to think that would change.
Would it change for women? Maybe a bit? I'm not sure what the women were actually skiing in the >21m and >23m eras. Maybe somebody who does can chime in. But I think the radius would stay around where it is now (sort of 27-32m); it's workable. Still work to be done on layup, etc. IMO.

I believe @ScotsSkier and I (and some others) had a discussion about this a year or two ago. Maybe somebody can dig that up.

TBH, flex pattern is more important than the radius of the ski, but ... most "normal" people don't really get a choice in flex patterns
Thanks! I am still committed to (trying) to make my 30m skis work in Masters races, but wonder if a shorter ski/smaller radius would drop my times more/faster. When i get some coaching this year, if the laughter is noticeable before I get to the bottom it might accelerate my plan. :)

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes, that is my understanding as well @S.H. . What the 30/35m regs did was really accelerate R&D, particularly wrt the blend of softer flex while still having torsional stiffness. And ~30m seems to consistently come out as the sweet spot

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looked miserable to me. Made me think that the shorter radius would be a lot friendlier.

Sölden is a bit different to the rest and a "stivot-fest" by comparison on the WC. Some turns are impossible at speed at that hill/set w/o a little skid to correct the line. So, don't read in too much to that single race, because it does not apply to your daughter's reality.

TS
T

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sölden is a bit different to the rest and a "stivot-fest" by comparison on the WC. Some turns are impossible at speed at that hill/set w/o a little skid to correct the line. So, don't read in too much to that single race, because it does not apply to your daughter's reality.
That’s good to hear!

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh boy, that's hat's a blast from the past. I skied with WPI a couple of years in the mid 90s. Pam Fletchers brother was skiing in the same division at the time. Lots of fun (and a great school).

Sponsor