• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado bootfitter recommendations

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
The shop, A Racer's Edge is open all year. Call 970 453 7600 for an appointment. Don't ask for me, though. I don't do boots.
Yesterday I tried to make an appointment with Chuck or Brandon for next Jan 10th but the gal on the phone was adamant that I had to call a week in advance. I hate uncertainty.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Fuller I’ve tried to schedule an appointment with Chuck by calling and sending a message through their website. The gal on the phone was not that helpful and just told me that I’d have to get in contact with Chuck directly in order to schedule an appointment. She took a message with my contact info and said Chuck would call me back. That was about 2 weeks ago. I sent a message through their website about a week ago and have not heard back. I’ve decided to go with a different bootfitter due to this difficulty. I think being uncomfortable with uncertainty in your situation is warranted and would encourage you to get in contact directly with Chuck sooner rather than later to schedule your 1/10 appointment. Maybe @Doug Briggs can help you secure that appointment.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I just sent a test message through the website to see if it is actually being delivered.

In the meantime, PM me your contact info and I'll make sure it gets to Chuck. Chuck has his own appointment book and it travels with him. That is why he has to make his own appointments.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Brandon at the shop is also excellent if you still have trouble connecting with Chuck. Chuck can be a bit of a ghost.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Brandon at the shop is also excellent if you still have trouble connecting with Chuck. Chuck can be a bit of a ghost.
Unfortunately Brendan just moved to FL. Joe and Zach still rock when Chuck isn't available.

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
Expanding on this older thread, my sister lives in Denver and is living looking for a good bootfitter as she has now had 2 consecutive pairs of boots that have not worked out well. Unfortunately Jeremy at Boot Mechanics doesnt have any availability. We are looking for other highly recommended boot fitters in Denver at a ski shop/store to be able to get the boots and the fitting together.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@eric100 -- can you tell us a bit more about her fit needs? e.g. weird foot, odd size, AT or alpine? Unfortunately many fitters are low on inventory right now. There are some Denver shops that have decent fit programs and guarantees with a bigger selection -- Evo, Powder7, and Boone Mtn Sports all have multiple good folks on staff. But if she is a very difficult fit someplace like Harb (along I70), Le Feet (Winter Park), Racers Edge (Breck) may be worth the commute.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@eric100 -- can you tell us a bit more about her fit needs? e.g. weird foot, odd size, AT or alpine? Unfortunately many fitters are low on inventory right now. There are some Denver shops that have decent fit programs and guarantees with a bigger selection -- Evo, Powder7, and Boone Mtn Sports all have multiple good folks on staff. But if she is a very difficult fit someplace like Harb (along I70), Le Feet (Winter Park), Racers Edge (Breck) may be worth the commute.

Add to that Larry's in Boulder and for a woman, Outdoor Divas in Vail.

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
She seems to run into problems with toe pain and pressure. This has happened with 2 different consecutive pairs.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Add to that Larry's in Boulder and for a woman, Outdoor Divas in Vail.
Larry has retired and sold the shop to someone else. I haven't heard anything about the new owners and whether their boot fitting services are at the same high level as Larry's were.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just curious has anyone used Foothills Ski Life for boot fitting? They are a race focused shop in Englewood that originally started up in Denver pre-covid and then restarted in the new location. The owner worked at Foothills Ski & Bike in Evergreen and once the owner FSB passed, he started his own shop.

Also what about Andrew Wagner, the guy that now owns Lee Kenney's old shop which was relocated to just behind Meier Skis in Denver? I used John Freileigh (spelling?) a few years ago and he did an incredible job on my old boots but not sure where he is now.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus 1 for Harb Ski Systems in Dumont. Not a terrible drive from Denver depending on where in the city.

PaganSkier

Booting up
Skier
Fixed It For You

We have a saying, "You date your skis and marry your boots." You will get more out of a better fitting boot and a lesser ski than if it was the other other way around.
I'm a polygamist.
1704733403139.jpeg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just curious has anyone used Foothills Ski Life for boot fitting? They are a race focused shop in Englewood that originally started up in Denver pre-covid and then restarted in the new location. The owner worked at Foothills Ski & Bike in Evergreen and once the owner FSB passed, he started his own shop.

Also what about Andrew Wagner, the guy that now owns Lee Kenney's old shop which was relocated to just behind Meier Skis in Denver? I used John Freileigh (spelling?) a few years ago and he did an incredible job on my old boots but not sure where he is now.

As you noted, The Custom Foot is now under new ownership (Andrew Wagner). Lee did a couple sets of footbeds for me, but I haven't used the shop since Lee's passing. A couple buddies have used Andrew and said that he did good work for them.

John Rathbone (Foothills Ski and Bike in Genesee) also did footbeds for me and some boot work. He also unfortunately died in 2014 just like Lee Kinney. As noted, the shop was moved and renamed Foothills Ski Life. Ashton Helmstaedter is the owner and fitter there. I did do some new boot consultation with him, but it never went as far as a full fitting, but the shop does have a reputation as one of the better race equipment and servicing places in the Denver area.

Sponsor

Staff online