• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Colorado Front Range Avalanche Safety Courses

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
Getting into the backcountry and being able to ski/navigate (not to mention have a good time) is one of my biggest goals as a skier right now. Naturally, no one wants to get caught out in bad conditions, so I want to skill build to be able to recognize avalanche conditions and have some basic knowledge about what to do should the worst happen.

Are there any recommendations for solid avalanche training lessons and instruction in the Colorado front range area near Denver or Boulder? I trust you all waaay more than I trust google on this.

Thanks!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
First step is an avalanche awareness class. Friends of Berthoud Pass host them often in the fall, although they are slowing down this time of year. Also known as "Know before you go" classes.

Then you can either jump in with Companion Rescue or your Level 1 class.

Companion rescue is a 1 day class that can be taken before or after your level one. There are a number of providers that are all solid and trained in this. Colorado Mountain School is the biggest out of Estes. Colorado Mountain College often has good rates. Colorado Wildreness Rides and Guides is who I took mine with and was pleased with quality of instruction.

A level 1 class is a 3 or 4 day affair and more intensive. Again, all the providers who provide AAIRE 1s are going to be the same curriculum and generally solid. I took a hut-trip variation which I found super useful as you get a lot more time in the field on snow, and a lot of time traveling with guides. This is valuable for people who are just getting into touring -- all sorts of little tips and tricks you learn.

If you happen to be available to take a level 1 this weekend (starting...tomorrow) -- PM me, I have a 50% off code for the CMS class going out of Estes.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Oh, and if you use Facebook, join the Boulder Backcountry Ski and Snowboard group. Its the best place for conditions, avy discussion, finding partners etc for us Frangers.

Then join the American Alpine Club. Get your discounts setup and buy a nice starter package with a 3-antenna beacon, good metal shovel, and 280 or 300cm probe.

TS
amlemus

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
First step is an avalanche awareness class. Friends of Berthoud Pass host them often in the fall, although they are slowing down this time of year. Also known as "Know before you go" classes.

Then you can either jump in with Companion Rescue or your Level 1 class.

Companion rescue is a 1 day class that can be taken before or after your level one. There are a number of providers that are all solid and trained in this. Colorado Mountain School is the biggest out of Estes. Colorado Mountain College often has good rates. Colorado Wildreness Rides and Guides is who I took mine with and was pleased with quality of instruction.

A level 1 class is a 3 or 4 day affair and more intensive. Again, all the providers who provide AAIRE 1s are going to be the same curriculum and generally solid. I took a hut-trip variation which I found super useful as you get a lot more time in the field on snow, and a lot of time traveling with guides. This is valuable for people who are just getting into touring -- all sorts of little tips and tricks you learn.

If you happen to be available to take a level 1 this weekend (starting...tomorrow) -- PM me, I have a 50% off code for the CMS class going out of Estes.

Looks like its off to an awareness class! Thanks so much for the info.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I literally just signed my wife and I up for the 3/6 class at Crooked Stave. Education pairs well with beer :beercheer:

Everything pairs well with Crooked Stave.

May see you there -- my SO wants to get out for some spring corn tours this year and has been meaning to attend one of these. And she's a sour beer fanatic.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
In addition to AAIRE training - I'd suggest reading "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain" by Bruce Tremper (Utah avalanche forecaster).

I'll also second the "Friends of Berthoud pass" rec upthread.

TS
amlemus

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
Everything pairs well with Crooked Stave.

May see you there -- my SO wants to get out for some spring corn tours this year and has been meaning to attend one of these. And she's a sour beer fanatic.

Awesome! Let me know if you sign up. Would love to meet ya. :thumb:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not in CO, but wanted to share 2 tips on how to get the most out of your avy classes. First, get your gear figured out before you show up for your AIARE on-snow days. Even if you're renting a setup for the class, give yourself enough time to watch a shop tech transition in and out of ski mode and then try it once yourself. Likewise, if you bought first, watch the YouTube videos for your boots and bindings, or even better, take it on a forest service road or to a resort with an accommodating uphill policy. The more time you spend trying to figure out how your bindings work, the less time you spend learning (guilty).

Then I'd also recommend finding a mentor. There seem to be 2 mindsets coming out of AIARE - either people are terrified to tour, or they confidently dive into the backcountry because they see AIARE as a formality and they've checked the box on their training. Neither are ideal. Going with some more experienced partners is the perfect way to start taking ownership of your backcountry safety with solid reinforcements. If you don't know someone like that yet, go to the social events & hit the social media networks. Grab a beer before you tour, have some questions in mind and vet them (and hopefully they vet you too) - these people end up being just as influential or even more so than your class instructors. It takes a little extra time & effort, but my mentors and mentees are my favorite people to tour with because we put so much work into communication on the front end.

Also, you're picking a great time to get started. Feb & March can be pretty spicy from a snowpack perspective, so you'll probably have some neat observations during your on-snow classes, and by the time you're ready to head out on your own, the spring snowpack will be starting to stabilize.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Getting into the backcountry and being able to ski/navigate (not to mention have a good time) is one of my biggest goals as a skier right now. Naturally, no one wants to get caught out in bad conditions, so I want to skill build to be able to recognize avalanche conditions and have some basic knowledge about what to do should the worst happen.

Are there any recommendations for solid avalanche training lessons and instruction in the Colorado front range area near Denver or Boulder? I trust you all waaay more than I trust google on this.

Thanks!

I did this workshop last year and it was awesome:
You really get to experience how to look and interpret snow and terrain and make good choices to travel safely in the backcountry by yourself and with others. It is more of a practical experience rather than a technical or scientific course. It goes very will with formal training like an AIARE1 course.

Like Analisa said, to make the best of any course or workshop be very comfortable with your gear and have it dialed before you go. When I first got my AT gear I went to A-Basin and learned on a groomed slope before opening and after closing.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And not just your skis, also practice with your beacon, shovel and probe. Practice with them in your pack/pocket/harness and while wearing gloves, helmet and goggles and ski jacket.
It can be surprising how fumbly it can be to get your pack off and probe out and shovel assembled.

You can do all these in your backyard, saving time during your course.

If you don’t have multiple beacons, can you rent some to practice with? Practice multiple burial search too, this function differs a bit per beacon, so your instructor won’t know exactly how your beacon handles this, so knowing it well yourself beforehand helps.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and start reading the avalche forecast for your intended area every day. Read it all, especially the problem type, discussion and weather, not just the rating.
Look up the terms you don’t know.
Take the online course at KBYG (Utah Avalanche Center)