• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Colorado Kick-off!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've started my season in the Mid-A a bunch of times, and in New England a couple of times. But I'd never started my season "out west"... until this season.

I was lucky enough to ski 2 days at Vail and one day at Beaver Creek last weekend. They're having a good start to the season, with Vail 10% above average snowpack, and Beaver Creek 50% above - and the resorts had a lot of terrain open. There was snow and sun and friends and cookouts and a lot of fun... it was a great way to start the season. :)

Day 1 - Vail

I started early lining up a bit before first chair to make the most of my first day. I was in new boots, and took a bit of time to adjust... things just felt weird. But they sorted themselves out throughout the weekend.

1st lift ride over Gore Creek
Vail 121122 090 ACR Conv.jpg

Heading out for Day 1
Vail 121122 091 ACR Conv.jpg

The view of mid-Vail from Lift 2
Vail 121122 097 ACR Conv.jpg

I was on these DPS Foundation Cassiars... not my favorite ski, but they do everything pretty well
Vail 121122 099 ACR Conv.jpg

View from somewhere at Vail
Vail 121122 102 ACR Conv.jpg

We had some snow roll in - it was brief, but nice to see
Vail 121122 107 ACR Conv.jpg

Greg and @nebraskawhit (Whitney) in the falling snow (I tend to ski with a lot of snowboarders :eek::D )
Vail 121122 109 ACR Conv.jpg

We thought Northwoods may have a line, but skied down to this view... in general, I had very few lift lines in 3 weekend days
Vail 121122 110 ACR Conv.jpg

Somewhere off Northwoods
Vail 121122 113 ACR Conv.jpg

Whitney in Northwoods
Vail 121122 115 ACR Conv.jpg

Some fun bumps off Ramshorn... they were medium sized, but not trough-y
Vail 121122 119 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Clouds rolling over the front side of Vail
Vail 121122 121 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Day 2 - Beaver Creek

We decided to ski Beaver Creek on Saturday, in part for variety, and in part to avoid potential Saturday crowds. Plus they opened a bunch of runs off of Birds of Prey that folks wanted to hit. I didn't wind up skiing any of the hard stuff off Birds of Prey as the easier off-piste I did ski was already challenging - I really felt like I regressed since the end of last season, though it's coming back.

Kristen, Jess, and Me on the lift
Vail 121122 125 ACR Conv.jpg

Jess, Adam, and Kristen near Cinch lift
Vail 121122 127 ACR Conv.jpg

Me near Cinch lift
Vail 121122 129 ACR Conv.jpg

After a couple of mid-mountain runs, we headed to Birds of Prey
Vail 121122 131 ACR Conv.jpg

After a bunch of runs off BoP, we headed over to the other side of the mountain to Rose Bowl... this is the view from the deck...
Vail 121122 135 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

... where we had a cookout. We brought a camp grill and a bunch of food and drinks up in backpacks. @MattSmith in the yellow jacket.
Vail 121122 136 ACR Conv.jpg

Day 3 - Vail

It was back to Vail for day 3... we cruised around, and there were rumors of back bowls opening. But that never materialized. They did run chair 3 which has some nice bumps, and I skied all of Ledges again, which had a variety of terrain and bumps. But mostly it was a groomer cruising day.

View from somewhere on the Vail frontside
Vail 121122 147 ACR Conv.jpg

A bit more lift lines at Vail, but never more that maybe 5 minutes at most
Vail 121122 149 ACR Conv.jpg

Somewhere in Northwoods area again
Vail 121122 154 ACR Conv Pano.jpg

Setting up for the final cookout!
Vail 121122 156 ACR Conv.jpg

Finally, A bunch of grey jays also enjoyed our cookout. It was a great way to kick off my season, and get some extra days in early!
Vail 121122 157 ACR Conv.jpg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
YAY for first turns of the season!
:golfclap::yahoo:

Dafixison

Booting up
Skier
Taking the kids for some skiing in CO over their Xmas break. We are planning on skiing 2 days on the Indy Pass and 3 days on the Epic Day Pass. We were thinking about skiing two days at Vail (because of its mere size) and another day at Breckenridge. But seeing your post, we are now throwing Beaver Creek into the mix.

From your recent experience, where would you ski (and for how many days) among Vail, Breckenridge, and Beaver Creek?

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Taking the kids for some skiing in CO over their Xmas break. We are planning on skiing 2 days on the Indy Pass and 3 days on the Epic Day Pass. We were thinking about skiing two days at Vail (because of its mere size) and another day at Breckenridge. But seeing your post, we are now throwing Beaver Creek into the mix.

From your recent experience, where would you ski (and for how many days) among Vail, Breckenridge, and Beaver Creek?
You could also ask this in the main seasonal Colorado thread @Dafixison ... https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2022-2023-colorado-ski-resorts-conditions-meetups.28132/

But I would say maybe it depends on and where you're staying, and how important crowd avoidance is to you.

-- I agree on more time at Vail... it's my favorite of the three, especially since Game Creek and some back bowls and Blue Sky are all open already!
-- Breck is great, but likely to be more crowded than BC, which tends to be the least crowded Vail resort among Vail, Breck, Keystone, and BC.

For me, unless I was staying right near Breck, I'd do 2 Vail days and 1 BC, just like I did. (But I was staying right in Vail, so Breck was a haul anyway.)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

If you like to ski bowls and cruise blues - Vail. Sheer size helps spread people out to get lots of groomer laps in, if that's your thing.
If you like to ski moguls - BC. Also has best beginner terrain/area of the three.
If you like to ski wind buff steeps - Breck. Tends to have the most crowding/longest lines of the three. Breck has worst mogul runs of the three.

Sponsor

Staff online