• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Combo underwear and bottom base layer?

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
My bottom dress scheme at the moment consists of merino boxer briefs topped with base layer topped with ski pants.

I find the base layer on top of boxer briefs redundant, so I'm thinking of ditching the boxers. Problem is, my base layer (Icebreaker 3/4) doesn't cup and support as well as dedicated boxer briefs.

Has anybody found a bottom baselayer that's boxer brief like in terms of support? Or is this a bad idea?

Is there an advantage to wearing boxer briefs topped with baselayer vs just a dedicated base layer that's boxer brief like (if they exist)?

mogulman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Speedo...but you have to wear it on the outside of your ski pants. Advantage... Speedo dries quickly, so if you really have to go while skiing, you don't have to stop :)
Image 002.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Answering with straight face...try lighter boxer briefs than merino, but continue with base layer on colder days. On medium to warmer days try just boxer briefs under ski pants, no base layer. Ymmv depending on how warm a day and your pants are.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there an advantage to wearing boxer briefs topped with baselayer vs just a dedicated base layer that's boxer brief like (if they exist)?
I layer the same with a pair of nylon running/gym shorts over the base layer. One more layer to keep my butt warm in cold lift chairs. It also gives me something to wear into the store on the way home when I take my pants off.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ex-Officio or merino briefs. Too much overlapping material with boxer briefs -- although I like 'em for daily wear.
No longies will give you the ...ahem... "support" you might need or want.

Dubhain

Booting up
Skier
I know it's been a while for this thread, but you could try 2UNDR long johns for long john like base layer with boxer brief level support.

When I'm skiing, I only have their boxer briefs on under my ski pants and I'm good to go.

I have a pair of these long johns, but I haven't used them yet because anything more than boxer briefs under my ski pants usually means I'm overheating. Even with just the boxer briefs on under my ski pants, I often have the vents on my ski pants open through most of the season.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just wear insulated exercise pants so when I take the ski pant off, I have regular clothes on. If I need thermals, I don’t mind the extra layer.