• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Community Ski Areas at Risk Symposium - Friday, June 16

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
As part of MRA Summer Shredfest in Red Lodge, Montana, we will be hosting a symposium.

Here are the details and for those not able to attend, we will be broadcasting Mr Reveal's Keynote, followed by the Panel Discussion over MRA's Facebook Page.

COMMUNITY SKI AREAS AT RISK

Friday, June 16, 2017 at 5 pm MDT
Old Roosevelt School
517 South Broadway, Red Lodge Montana

The symposium will build awareness and educate on the importance of and challenges facing smaller ski areas. This will become an annual event with the goal of evolving into the “Ted Ex” conference for the ski industry.

5:00 pm - Welcome and showing of “Last Tracks”, an environmental ski documentary.

5:45 pm - Keynote speech by Jon Reveal, GM of Sleeping Giant Ski Area and Zip Line, a non-profit owned ski area adjacent to Yellowstone National Park.

Before returning to his roots and taking the head position at the non-profit owned ski area adjacent to Yellowstone National Park, Jon had senior management roles at Aspen Skiing Company, The Yellowstone Club and Angel Fire.

Mr. Reveal will give his 40+ year overview of the ski industry and make some predictions for the future.

6:30 pm - Panel discussion will take place and cover a wide range of topics specific to community and independent ski areas.

Panelist will include:

-Matt Hansen of Powder Magazine
-Carl Kish, Co-founder of STOKE Certified
-Jon Reveal, GM of Sleeping Giant Ski Area and Zip Line

Moderated by Jamie Schectman, CEO of Mountain Rider’s Alliance

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, that will be interesting.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Yes it will. I recall Jon Reveal making a brief presentation when I was on a press trip at the Yellowstone Club in 2001.

Hopefully there will be a transcript online sometime after this event.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Jon Reveal has pretty much seen it all, done it all. Should have a TON of perspective to add.

I, too, would love to see a transcript or some report. Should be really interesting.

TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
In addition to broadcasting the symposium live on MRA's Facebook Page, we will be recording it. I'll be sure to post the link once it is live.

TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
Here is a list of topics we will be covering in the Panel Discussion. We encourage you to tune in and let us know what else you would like us to discuss.

Ski Resort Consolidation

How Can Small Ski Areas Compete?

Sustainability Initiatives and Examples

Climate Change Effects on Operations

Soul and Authenticity

Price Point

Attracting Millennials

Diversity

Predicting the Future of Community Ski Areas

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Soul and Authenticity. I like that. I'm thinking Mad River Glen and Wildcat here in NE. But those attributes are not a source of big profits, are they?

The small areas that I'm familiar with that are doing fine draw in all kinds of people, not just those that are attracted to a non-cookie-cutter vibe. To get all those people to come spend money they develop diverse on-mountain things for people to do. They have vibrant kid's programs, night skiing, race leagues, tubing, park and pipe areas, and stuff like that. One place has an athletic center which non-skiers join. All of these together extend the outdoor entertainment aspect of the ski area beyond straight-forward recreational skiing. These areas serve as community activity centers.

TS
soulskier

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
Here's the symposium.

Introduction by Jamie Schectman - :15

Key Note by Jon Reveal - 5:11

Panel Discussion with Matt Hansen, Carl Kish & Jon Reveal - 47:27

Topics Discussed:
Ski Industry Consolidation - 49:22
How Can Small Ski Areas Compete - 55:08
Sustainability Initiatives - 58:47
Climate Change Affects on Ski Area Operations - 1:10:27
Soul and Authenticity - 1:19:31
Attracting Millennials - 1:29:55
Diversity - 1:35:11
Predicting the Future of Small Ski Areas - 1:41:29
Open Questions - 1:49:39

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you for giving a breakdown of the symposium. Its tough to watch a full 2 hrs at a sitting and this will help me enjoy it in smaller segments.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Thank you for giving a breakdown of the symposium. Its tough to watch a full 2 hrs at a sitting and this will help me enjoy it in smaller segments.
Which is why a transcript is a better way to disseminate this kind of information to a broad internet audience.

Sponsor

Staff online