• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparing the 2024 Boa Boots Offerings from Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
The overlords behind BOA are not the not the first to make outlandish claims in a product, we all know that. I have more of a problem with ads that claim "the most comfortable boot" or "Best in test" boots or "Boot of the year", those are marketing claims that can be more damaging. Yes, there are boots that are better built with higher quality liners and that are bootfitter friendly and yes the boots offered today are much better shaped ... shaped more like a foot as compared to the box they came in but I still think we have a ways to go on better quality boots, especially on the softer and or in the entry level range.

Boot measurements need to get adjusted, using "lasts" based upon the easiest part of the boot to work on, the forefoot area should be changed to measuring the vamp area around the instep, this is something Salomon did back when they first started building boots, a method before its time. Mondo sizing also needs to be more truthful in that with some of these modern plastics are allowing for thinner walls making the interior volume of the boot larger, a 26 is no longer a 27 and can be close to a centimeter longer in some cases.

I do commend Evo for adjusting their on line sizer for purchases in adding a "Performance Fit" column but even the word "Comfort" in the first column can be perceived incorrectly when a performance fit can actually be more confortable for some. But this is a start.

Mondopoint
(Comfort Fit)
Mondopoint
(Performance Fit)
Men / Unisex (US)Women (US)EuropeUK
15-8 (Kids')-257
15.5-8 (Kids')-257
16-9 (Kids'-268
16.5-9 (Kids')-268
17-10 (Kids')-279
17.5-11 (Kids')-2810
18.5-12 (Kids')-2911
19.5-13 (Kids')-30.512
20-13.5 (Kids')-3113
20.5-1-3213.5
21-2-331
21.5-3-342
29.528.511.5-4510.5
302912-45.611
30.529.512.5-4611.5
313013-4712
31.530.513.5-47.712.5
323114-4813
32.531.514.5-48.513.5
333215-4914
33.532.515.5-5014.5
343316-5115

As far as we have come, we still have a long way to go. SkiTalk are lucky to have contributors like @onenerdykid , @otto and @cem here. We do ask that you don't abuse the privilege of having them here.

can we please step away form giving any credence to a size chart that doesn't grasp that 23.0 and 23.5 are the same boot and therefore cannot be 2 different UK, US or EU sizes

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
If it labeled Ski Magazine gear of the year then I also *might* consider it.
Maybe I'm a Luddite, but ski boot rankings are stupid.

"I want this boot. Ski mag says they're the best."

"You realize your foot doesn't even come close to working with that shell, and this one will work better?"

" Well, ski mag says... "

... and rhen we let rhem know there's no fit guarantee, they leave the shop and post on websites about arrogant fitters.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
For a properly fiited shell, IMHO BOA shouldn't really needed. I guess the one obvious benefit would be to prevent people from cranking down the first buckle, then over tightening the instep... or just simplify the over tightening process. :D

Reactions: BMC

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Reactions: BMC

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Had some real world sitings in the lodge today. While the skier liked em & used a sneaker fit analogy, that sound got wicked painful in under 5 seconds. :(

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s fun asking shops about Boa for next year.
Lots of hemming and hawing till you get to the guy doing the fitting.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you watch all the movies that are released? Do you buy all the newly released phones? Do you take all the vaccines on the schedule? The average person can only afford one house and a few cars in their lifetime. Can he buy a hundred varieties of houses and cars? Does he sample all the cereals in the cereal aisle? Should he book all the resorts in North America? Eat in all the restaurants? Sample all the cuisines from all cultures?

No? But how does he decide on what's appropriate for him if he hasn't sampled everything? Does the limitation of economics make him "closed minded"? Should he not have an opinion on something that he cannot afford? Should he form the opinion first then buy it? Or buy it first then form his opinion?

The answer to your various questions is no, I don't watch/buy/take everything. I form opinions and research. Here's the difference between you and me: I don't post on forums bashing the things that I'm not interested in or have zero experience with.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
How the heck did these end up on my feet? If it was Sept, I would be walking out of the Sports Den with them. There is a lot more upgraded in this boot from my older Hawx Ultras.

Time to get new boots for the wife instead

20230427_135137_HDR.jpg

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Late to this discussion but fascinated by BOA since I’ve walked miles and miles in my BOA golf shoes and the shoe always failed long before there was a BOA problem. It wasn’t a solution for a poorly fit shoe but it certainly allowed a gentle but snug fit.
I’m old. Started vacation skiing a week or two a year in my 30s. Now 40 years later I get to ski more 70 days a year. I really do not relate to ski racers who have skied since kindergarten or industry professionals but I can relate to COMFORT.
I chased the holy grail of a comfortable ski boot with several 4 buckle boots that were professionally fitted, custom footbedded, canted etc. before I switched to Full Tilt years ago because I could put them on and take them off without tweaking my back. Before that I’d added heat to my old boots so I could ski longer. Then I bought heat for the whole family so they could ski with me more and enjoy the sport with less discomfort.
It may not be an issue with the top 5% of skiers but I hope BOA helps make boots easier to fit and more comfortable for more skiers. It’s good for our sport.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
With over 30 days in BOA boots for Tricia and myself, we have yet to have a dial or cable failure. All is well here.
Do you see this as a potential solution for individuals with sensitive feet? My wife had a pin in her right foot and it can be hard for her to get a comfy snug fit that doesn’t irritate the foot.

we will be getting her new boots this year and this could be interesting. She loves her Atomic Hawks Ultra and will be sticking with the brad for her new boots so this is interesting

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you see this as a potential solution for individuals with sensitive feet? My wife had a pin in her right foot and it can be hard for her to get a comfy snug fit that doesn’t irritate the foot.
IMHO, I don't think BOA will be a solution in and of itself BUT the ability to quickly adjust the tension may allow those micro adjustments that take pressure off as the day wears on. There are days when I don't touch my boots after I put them on but there are also days when I need to snug it just a little or let it off just a little. That means doing the unbuckle-twist-buckle-do it again dance. With the BOA it's an easy click or two one way or the other. While you may end up with the same result, the convenience of the BOA may encourage you to make the adjustment instead of just skiing and hoping you get through the day.

I think CONVENIENCE is what's going to sell more BOAs than actual better fit.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

we will be getting her new boots this year and this could be interesting. She loves her Atomic Hawks Ultra and will be sticking with the brad for her new boots so this is interesting
Maybe not the BOA, but I bet the better liner in the boot will help.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Dwight, interesting. If she went with the new Mimic Pro liner would the BOA liner be a real upgrade? I just want to make sure she is supported and comfy.
Let the boot fitter try different boots with her. Sticking with a brand is a place to start but not necessarily where you are going to end. The boot picks you. Kind of like the Sorting Hat. Honestly, I'd drop her off and go away. Let her talk to the fitter without pressure, real or perceived, from you. Give them time to figure out what works best and see what they come up with.

Sponsor

Staff online