• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparing the 2024 Boa Boots Offerings from Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
994A0408-F875-41FD-919B-AF2D1976363A.jpeg

Got to see a pair in the wild

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Let the boot fitter try different boots with her. Sticking with a brand is a place to start but not necessarily where you are going to end. The boot picks you. Kind of like the Sorting Hat. Honestly, I'd drop her off and go away. Let her talk to the fitter without pressure, real or perceived, from you. Give them time to figure out what works best and see what they come up with.
That is what I did.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier

cued to 52:28 Hoagie talking about heel instep fit vs tight toe fit. Love the Fred Flintstone analogy
Almost all agree about the usefulness of the upcoming BOA system

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier

cued to 52:28 Hoagie talking about heel instep fit vs tight toe fit. Love the Fred Flintstone analogy
I was not impressed with the Blister BOA panel discussion. They talked about how the BOA system is a game changer and how great it is, but with little specifics. The headline, notwithstanding, the discussion did not dwell on “the end of buckles.”

A more thoughtful discussion on backcountry ski bindings with Lars Chickering-Aues (CAST), Giray Dadali (Daymaker), and Eric Hjorleisfson (Dynafit). See

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Let the boot fitter try different boots with her. Sticking with a brand is a place to start but not necessarily where you are going to end. The boot picks you. Kind of like the Sorting Hat. Honestly, I'd drop her off and go away. Let her talk to the fitter without pressure, real or perceived, from you. Give them time to figure out what works best and see what they come up with.
That reminds me...when my (now) wife wished to try skinning up a mountain we went to rent some equipment. The shop clerk was trying to push on her a pair of Dynafit "something", insisting those were the boots to go for anyone with AT in mind. Needless to say, those were not fitting her feet shape at all. Imagine the, general, amazement when she selected (after trying them) a pair of Scarpa Freedom RS W. Hardly a light AT boots. To her credit, she has been an high level inline speed skate racer (and coach) so she knows what a fitting shoe/boot on her feet means. I, of course, did not utter a word through the whole process. So what Andy Mink says is good advice.
She is now in need of new everyday boots, claiming her current ones are a bit "wide" (after 10 years, even if not used every winter -pregnancy, injuries and so on have had an effect on her continual presence on the snow field, I guess the liners have well packed out). But I will not try to sway her toward a specific brand or model, even if I have my brand/models preferences and idea of where to start.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

Hmm. @neonorchid I think you mean K2 and Fischer representatives on the panel agree and support BOA. If you watch the video starting at the 20 minute mark, you can see there is some skepticism while noting the comment that we are not hearing at all from athletes that are clamoring for a BOA system. That doesn't necessarily in and of itself definitively prove BOA is a waste of time and will be a failure, but it seems to me the introduction of the technology is controversial right now.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Hmm. @neonorchid I think you mean K2 and Fischer representatives on the panel agree and support BOA. If you watch the video starting at the 20 minute mark, you can see there is some skepticism while noting the comment that we are not hearing at all from athletes that are clamoring for a BOA system. That doesn't necessarily in and of itself definitively prove BOA is a waste of time and will be a failure, but it seems to me the introduction of the technology is controversial right now.
To be honest, Dynafit's comments there are a bit weak. First, Dynafit was not among the brands that were given the system to test (in any capacity), so during the entire time the Tigard was being developed, BOA wasn't even a consideration for them. So to say that their athletes never asked for it is a bit disingenuous- they never knew of its existence and were never able to compare the two closure systems side by side. Dynafit ultimately doesn't have a BOA boot and they will protect their current crop of boots that (of necessity) must use other closure systems. The same buckle-only reality holds for Dalbello. Until they have a boot platform that allows their athletes to experience the BOA system, it's really not a fair claim of theirs to make.

But let's say, for the sake of argument, that "none of their athletes asked for BOA". I will bet you all the money I have that their athletes did ask for better fitting boots. And here is the ultimate mistake of anyone who utters "no one needs BOA" because they fail to recognize the distinction between solutions and needs. Needs are the general things that you want to have and solutions are the specific ways to address it. Buckles aren't needs. BOA isn't a need. Buckles, BOAs, foam liners, etc. are all solutions that are trying to address the need of FIT. Skiers are constantly looking for better fitting ski boots (=a need), durable ski boots (= a need), repairable ski boots (= a need) and BOA is one solution that seeks to address them all.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
These are fair counterpoints @onenerdykid . And athlete acceptance isn't even necessarily the end all be all either. Athletes have exceptional boot fitting resources. So even if BOA did absolutely nothing but improve the the out of the box fit, then I would concede this is a worthwhile feature for a lot of consumers. And perhaps BOA is more than that too.

I'm still in the skeptical camp, but I try to be open minded and I honestly haven't tried it..Regardless, bringing new ideas to market is ultimately good for consumers. And ultimately we as skiers will ultimately get behind a product that makes things better.. it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I just hope that if BOA is successful, that it really is adding something rather than extra cost and marketing puffery. It has been a while where there has been something major to talk about in the boot world. So if anything else, well done for bringing something new.

Nobody

Skier
I'm neither against BOA nor in favour. I am just...sitting it out waiting to see how it will go. For sure, a daily to use boot with BOA system is something to consider, for professionals who spend 8-9 hrs out skiing (e.g. ski instructors), IMHO, rather than for athletes, theirs is a totally different world, compare what athletes use in WC is like comparing our personal car to an Indy or F1 car...day and night. Heck this winter I've seen some ski instructor in Nordicas HF (rear entry boots), so why not BOA? But, personally, I will sit this out until a bit moere choices will be available, from / if , from others manufacturers (the ones you mentioned, @onenerdykid...) like I'm sitting out the Tyrolia Protectors, waiting to see what other manufacturers will do in response...

James

Out There
Instructor
And ultimately we as skiers will ultimately get behind a product that makes things better.. it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Well it’s sort of a captive audience. You need a boot, it works, it has Boa. Are you really going to get a different boot just because it’s Boa? Maybe some here, but those who just want a boot likely will not. Possibly some just can’t handle the mushroom, but that will be few.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I don't see how objectively BOA will prove its superiority. The vast majority of BOA skiers will get put into a BOA boot because it is the easiest/ best fit (adjust for competence of your bootfitter) that the store has. Not necessarily because it addresses a direct need of the skier. So in some ways buying policy will already have dictated success or otherwise of BOA. If K2 would knock off the utter BS marketing that might actually help the product's credibility too.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Well it’s sort of a captive audience. You need a boot, it works, it has Boa. Are you really going to get a different boot just because it’s Boa? Maybe some here, but those who just want a boot likely will not. Possibly some just can’t handle the mushroom, but that will be few.
Incrementally I think BOA boots would take some market share if consumers prefer them. I don't know boot buying dynamics but I would think less experienced skiers are not nearly as brand loyal to a boot as experienced skiers are.

And I'll give BOA this. Normally I'll go right to my preferred brand as it historically fits me well and I like the performance. But next time I buy boots (while the edge will still go to my preferred brand), I'm going to give the BOA brands a try on at the store just to see what the deal is. And so even though I'm skeptical, the introduction will get me to take a closer look at the brands offering BOA in a way that I wouldn't have before. And if I like the fit with BOA out of the box even more than my preferred brand, there is a very high likelihood I would give it a try and buy them.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm neither against BOA nor in favour. I am just...sitting it out waiting to see how it will go. For sure, a daily to use boot with BOA system is something to consider, for professionals who spend 8-9 hrs out skiing (e.g. ski instructors), IMHO, rather than for athletes, theirs is a totally different world, compare what athletes use in WC is like comparing our personal car to an Indy or F1 car...day and night. Heck this winter I've seen some ski instructor in Nordicas HF (rear entry boots), so why not BOA? But, personally, I will sit this out until a bit moere choices will be available, from / if , from others manufacturers (the ones you mentioned, @onenerdykid...) like I'm sitting out the Tyrolia Protectors, waiting to see what other manufacturers will do in response...

FWIW, I'm on the hill pretty much everyday and in a plug boot. Fits like a glove and can wear it all day. Set up took roughly 4 hours. No desire to go 'lesser' and 'lower' because I'm teaching.

Nobody

Skier
Well that is personal, for sure, and as always, personal preferences do apply, if we were to all prefer the same thing or do the same thing, uniformily, that wouldn't be good either. I have used my plug boots occasionally also when not training in gates, just because, and to say the truth, me too, to my surprise the very first time, have found them comfortable to wear for the whole day. But think of a racing coach... Standing hours beside the racetrack with no skis on. Or instructors who spent the whole day teaching children, walking up and down the bunny hill.
At my mountain most of the instructors wear either Tecnica Cochise 130 or other shop graded boots (my son's instructor used Kaestle boots, with GW soles the whole season, not sure which model, need to get more familiar with the Kaestle line yet), and my coach as well, if he is not skiing the gates, uses a shop graded boot, not his racing plug boots.
Besides, I do not think in terms of "lower" or "lesser", but in terms of "fit for purpouse".

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Well that is personal, for sure, and as always, personal preferences do apply, if we were to all prefer the same thing or do the same thing, uniformily, that wouldn't be good either. I have used my plug boots occasionally also when not training in gates, just because, and to say the truth, me too, to my surprise the very first time, have found them comfortable to wear for the whole day. But think of a racing coach... Standing hours beside the racetrack with no skis on. Or instructors who spent the whole day teaching children, walking up and down the bunny hill.
At my mountain most of the instructors wear either Tecnica Cochise 130 or other shop graded boots (my son's instructor used Kaestle boots, with GW soles the whole season, not sure which model, need to get more familiar with the Kaestle line yet), and my coach as well, if he is not skiing the gates, uses a shop graded boot, not his racing plug boots.
Besides, I do not think in terms of "lower" or "lesser", but in terms of "fit for purpouse".

Lateral response and accuracy is always a compromise in walk mode boots, and i can't modify the lateral alignment to make them work as well. If i were a race coach standing around and talking to my athletes, schleping gates, etc, then yes, I'd ski my Lange XT3's, but all teaching I do regardless of age or ability is in the plugs. As nice as the XT3's are for what they do, they're no more or less comfortable than the plug boots which just ski better. Just MHO, and most certainly everyone's MMV.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
My only comment, and it really isn't that relevant. I haven't buckled the lower two buckles on my boots since I gave up on my SX 91's in the early 90's. My "Fred Flintstone" feet fill up even High Volume shells on any performance ski boot. I get really tired of other skiers telling me that my boots are unbuckled. So if I can modify a BOA boot to fit my hoof, I won't have to listen to that or to the buckles clacking together as I'm skiing. Seriously though, if this helps skiers enjoy their day and helps ski boots suck less, great. Nordica's HF Rear Entry boots aren't winning any World Cup races, and don't offer a critical, performance fit, but it's allowing some older folks and folks with limited flexibility, and tough to fit feet, to keep skiing and enjoy their day more. Will BOA on Alpine boots be a success? Don't know, the market will sort that out. But, this is a far better direction than the Grip Walk debacle, as it's trying to address fit and comfort. Grip Walk? - still not sure what that is all about...

Sponsor

Staff online