• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparing the 2024 Boa Boots Offerings from Atomic, Fischer, K2 and Salomon

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1701398186625.png

Yup...naysayers who said "I won't get BOA until they use them on the World Cup."

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_4215.jpeg

Here is a good image of the difference between the BOA version and the buckle shell of @Tricia's Anthem 115 BOA and her Anthem 120 Pro . Note why the buckle version can colapse the shell because of how far back the overlap is verses the BOA which allows the shell to wrap more.

This shows that in K2's case it was not just slapping a BOA in the shell was not going to make a differnce, the whole clog had to be redesigned to get the full desired effect.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 216946

View attachment 216947
Well boys......... Who's laughing now? Some lightweight on the Birds of Prey. Must be an amateur, sure hope the cables don't break, or the knobs fall off. We all know REAL skiers wouldn't be caught dead using BOA.....;)
Also note that he is not a victim to trends in that he is skiing with a 5 year old binding.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting to see both BOA dials on the cuff. Thoughts? Clearance?

And clearly looks like a boot that originally had buckles and was modified, rather than a boot designed for BOA.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
HEAD wasn't one of the original boa boots, right?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
HEAD wasn't one of the original boa boots, right?
Correct. Salomon, Atomic, K2, and Fischer were the original group to use it on the clog.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
At this point, I have had a chance to spend time in boots from all four brands that have BOA in their collection for this year. In fairness, two of the boots, while were my measured size, a 26.5 Atomic and Salomon were NOT what I ski in, a 25.5. The Atomic was workable because it was a low volume shell, the Salomon would not work, it is a 100-106mm shell with their Custom Shell concept, mayne next year. I spent a good amount of time in the K2 Recon 120 BOA in my preferred size and it worked quite well and is extremely comfortable even being a variable volume according to K2, meaning that it will accommodate both a 97 to 100 mm foot which after coming from the K2 Recon Pro which is a published 97 mm and I didn't feel even a smidgin of loss in performance.

IMG_4265.jpeg

Now fast forward to today with the last of the 4 brands to get on my feet, the Fischer RC4 140 MV BOA with the Zipfit liner. There is no question that the Fischer is head and shoulders above the rest of the offerings on both performance and price much of both have to do with the Zipfit liner. We talk about expectations of BOA and that it will not make a boot that doesn't fit and I am actually going to take a half steb back from that claim. I have a low volume foot, I have skied in boots from 93-97mm for the past two decades and I have to say I am really liking the BOA of the forefoot in that it wraps the foot nicely without confining or squeezing it.
IMG_4264.jpeg

The Fischer Zipfit liner included with the RC4 MV is a Gara variation. As expected, out of the box, it was uncomfortable but 8 minutes in the boot oven at 60* C, and in the shell, perfecto. I mentioned that this was probably the highest performance of the BOA offerings and I stand by that, the Fischer is labeled as a 140 and there was no question that after skiing the Lange Pink Panther and XR9 Heritage boots that are also "140", the 140 on the Fischer is not a marketing number, it is damn stiff.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug does the Zipfit require the "don liner first, then slip into shell" approach?

Is the Fischer a Raptor 140 in terms of stiffness. Still miss the performance of that boot, but so darn cold.

Idly shopping around for next season's boots, while perfectly happy with what I'm currently skiing (err, looking at on the laundry room shelf, as we're not quite there up here).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug does the Zipfit require the "don liner first, then slip into shell" approach?
I haven't tried it in the shell then slide it on yet but in all reality, I prefer to put it on outside the shell then slide into the shell. At the end of the day, putting the liner back in the shell does space.
Is the Fischer a Raptor 140 in terms of stiffness. Still miss the performance of that boot,
I think so, but where the difference will be is in the warm weather (room temp) where the Raptor can feel like a 110, this is a lot stiffer/consistant in flex. With the Zipfit, the heel is near the snugness of the Raptor from what I recall but the toe/forefoot area is more generous ... but not sloppy. In the Raptor I did 1st and 6th toe punches to make it work.
but so darn cold.
I will report back with the Bootcaps.

Nordica • Tecnica

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
Race boot ... race boot ... race boot... How can it be any good and know it it really works unless they use in on a race boot. :rolleyes:

What does it matter if its used on a race boot? How do racers close their lower buckles? The clamp them down with a ton of pressure.

The whole arguement that it isn't viable because its not used on race boots is laughable.

With all that said, I hear there are some brands playing with BOA on their race shells ;)
BOA is here ... for snowboard / hiking but BOA alpine ski is maybe a ground breaker imho (?)
... maybe more of a difference for smaller feet /smaller mondo shells (?)
fwiw,I can NOT remember his name - I'll try to find it - but when rear-entry boots were starting up, he won a couple of World Cup downhill races in a rear-entry boot (Salomon?)
Anyhoo ... maybe the smaller foot mondo sizes might be able to benefit from BOA more (?)
So, when an upcoming Mikaela Shiffrin or Sophia Goggia or Jasmine Flury wins a race - or gets a podium - with a BOA boot, well, suddenly everybuddy will want them !!
$1200.00 pricing point doesn't matter then.

James

Out There
Instructor
fwiw,I can NOT remember his name - I'll try to find it - but when rear-entry boots were starting up, he won a couple of World Cup downhill races in a rear-entry boot (Salomon?)
Well Marc Giradelli won more than a couple races in SX 90? He didn’t win downhill till ‘89, not sure he was still using them.

IMG_1564.jpeg

Nordica • Tecnica

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
Marc Girardelli of Luxemborg competes in a World Cup Men's Super-G at Furano, Japan on March 1, 1987
(photo caption)

NOT to hijack this excellent thread - alot of experts advice/perspective
so, my novice opinion ...

BOA will be used by some racer - and the market will open up - maybe a market for some particular situation ...

maybe a petite woman or ... a kid's boot, where foot is still growing / changing ... I dunno.
Thanks for a great discussion to learn from.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 8

Nordica • Tecnica

Booting up
Skier
Pass Pulled
With narrow feet, I will have to stay with Atomic Hawx Ultra buckle 4 buckle boots. With a 96mm boot last, a Boa might work. Regardless, the Boa will help a subset of people for a snug fitting
BOA will be used by some racer - and the market will open up - maybe a market for some particular situation ...

maybe a petite woman or ... a kid's boot, where foot is still growing / changing ... I dunno.
Thanks for a great discussion to learn from.
in fairness ... I am navigating this site by an XR iphone ... I didn't realize we are pretty much already there ... !
BOA ski boot at the top of the podium might be likely in 2024 (?) ... I dunno

IMG_0912.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
BOA will be used by some racer - and the market will open up - maybe a market for some particular situation
Maybe, maybe not. Rear entry boots 40 yrs ago offered people convenience. Some made performance versions.
Boa is a closure system offering possibly better wrapping. On the other hand, it could be worse as manufacturers dump sizes and people just try to boa down boots that aren’t the right fit to begin with.
I have no doubt the industry will try to sell the shiny object and convince people it’s the solution.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January